1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

1 Huge Box or Multiple Small?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Pelican5, May 3, 2012.

1. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Evening all,

Just shipped a couple of monster size boxes here and am nervous about breakage, although I did pack them very well. Is it better to send a couple of smaller boxes than one monster? Safer? Cheaper?

Cheers~

2. wscaffe

wscaffe Savant (345) Florida May 6, 2011

It is definitely more expensive to ship a bunch of little boxes. As far as safety is concerned, you should have nothing to worry about as long as you packed them well.

Cheers,
    Prescott

3. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

I prefer to do it in one box if possible. If it can't all fit into one box what choice do you really have?

4. Pelican5

I dont mind the big box just get a little worried about multiple layers of beer stacked. I put a couple of sheets of the large bubble wrap between layers and pack everything very tight to minimize and movement inside.

5. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Savant (330) Michigan Nov 18, 2009

On big boxes I do a massive box with another slightly smaller box inside of it and I pack a layer of packing between the two. They pretty much charge by the pound not the size of the box to a point (your not going to ship in a refrigerator box and not be charged for it)

6. So, I just shipped my biggest box - 52lbs. It was a larger box I received from a friend in a trade and a decent part of the weight was "filler" to prevent stuff from moving around. I really don't think the weight matters as long as everything is packed securely. Like others have said, the best thing to do is pack the box well and then put that inside the bigger box. Just make sure to put filler etc. on the sides so nothing moves around.

Its much cheaper to ship 1 40lb box than 2 20lb boxes.

7. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (390) California Dec 14, 2008

What does it cost to ship a 40lb box?

8. Pelican5

I think I gotta start doing the box in a box to calm my nerves. Seems like the best way to do it.

GoldenChild likes this.
  9. I only paid 22 dollars to ship form DC to NY for my 52lb box. Although, it didn't seem to matter if I put in 20 or 50lbs of FedEx.com, it was the same price.

10. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yup, box in a box is a good method. I do it whenever I'm sending a beer that I cannot replace.

Anything over about 30 lbs. I split into two small boxes, but I'm head-on paranoid.

bpgpitt10 likes this.
  11. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

12. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

As others indicated from a cost perspective shipping 1 big box is better than 2 smaller boxes. You would probably want to pack it extra safe but it will be fine. I use styro shippers because packing boxes the hard way sucks. That is time I could spend relaxing with a beer!

Before I started using shippers I would reinforce really large boxes with pieces of cardboard inside right next to the beer. This would help keep the entire box firm and support anything stacked on top of it.

13. I would just go big and use 1 box. But that could just be me being a cheap bastard. Just pack the hell out of it and you should be fine.

14. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

Box-in-box is awesome. My regular trading partner and I have shipped what we call "the fortress" back and forth between SC and OH numerous times, plus it's made trips to WA and MA and back. I love it so much that on the rare occasion I trade, I send first so I can get it back. FedEx 14" cube inside a 16" cube, with a half-inch layer of styrofoam sheeting all around. The brews are packed upright, each in 2 (free, thanks USPS) padded envelopes, then bubble wrap stuffed all around. I think the truck would have to run over the box for something to break.

15. Box in a box is by far the best. If you don't have another box that neatly fits though, you can use random cardboard (like old six pack containers) to create layers and to create a pseudo box in a box. Think padding on outside walls, some cardboard, then a thin layer of padding.

There is a reason the "toughest" phone cases use a tough outer layer and a soft inner layer. It works like a charm.

16. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It's really hard to go wrong with a twelve bottle shipper. The quantity is more cost effective in terms of shippinglus you also feel like you can trade less by knocking out one large box at a time.

gueuzehead and Sarlacc83 like this.
  17. I got burned on the only 'big box' I've ever sent. Damaged package, shipping exception, confiscated shipment, close to $100 lose. And that box was packed, IMO, really really well. No idea what happened. Because of that I'm gun shy about large boxes.

18. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

FedEx and UPS rape you for multiple boxes. One time I was fooling around with the figures and found that I could save a ton of money from putting two medium size boxes into one enormous box.

19. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Agreed. I have a couple trade partners that send beer right back in the same shipper that I send to them, so it works out really well. I only have two though, so most of my outgoing packages are box in a box.

20. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I must admit it is disappointing when you don't get a box that you consider worthy of reusing yourself.