10 Best Vacation Cities for Beer Lovers

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by mjshearer1, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

GR_Rick likes this.
  2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

The fact that Bend Oregon isn't on this list blows my mind.

HRamz3, jisom123, chanokokoro and 8 others like this.
  3. hmph

hmph Savant (265) Virginia Jun 9, 2011

Amazed that Charlottesville made the list , but that's pretty cool not to be a homer or anything but there is great underrated beer here!...

dontpanic5 likes this.
  4. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Charlottesville is definitely is off the radar of the average beer geek, but the description peeked my interest.

5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Kind of expected to see Philadelphia in there somewhere. Good to see Seattle, we're often overshadowed (rightfully so) by our neighbor to the south. Looks like this list wasn't in any particular order, which is good. Just listing a bunch of cities is useful without turning it into a pissing match.

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Agreed. Any "beer trip" list without Bend on it loses a bit of credibility. This list was pretty good though.

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

For the people who don't want to flip through the damn 10 page slide show:
    • Burlington, VT
    • Ft Collins, CO
    • Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, MI
    • Charlottesville, VA
    • Seattle, WA
    • Portland, OR
    • Asheville, NC
    • Portland, ME
    • San Diego, CA
    • Milwaukee, WI

8. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I just returned from Bend and I'm already planning my return trip.

bifrost17 likes this.
  9. bifrost17

Yeah it wasn't a bad list, but you'd think that the city with the most breweries per capita would make it on for sure.....but whatever, it can be a secret.

10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

i'm interested where you got your info on that statistic...

11. bifrost17

I know that you're a California man, so I'm assuming you've made the trip down south and gone to the Stone World Bistro. I'm gonna be in the Fresno area in October with my girlfriend for a wedding and we're contemplating making the drive down to San Diego to check out the Bistro, is it worth it? She also has friends down there so that's another reason to make the drive.

12. bifrost17

Haha it might not be scientific, but I have a friend that used to live down there and that's what he tells me, and based on my few trips down there I think he might be right, it's a pretty small place and there are 7 breweries there, but like I said, no real data to prove this fact.

13. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Actually I haven't made it that far. The farthest south I've gone is the Bruery. I was planning a trip to SD with my friend, but I injured my knee and have to have a minor surgery on it. We pushed it back to the end of the year or next year. Soon though!

And from what I've heard, the Bistro is definitely worth the trip.

bifrost17 likes this.
  14. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (870) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

Sunhunters, Zaphog and mjshearer1 like this.
  15. SFACRKnight

after some snooping around bend has seven breweries with 76000+ people coming out to about 1 brewery per 10,000 ish people. durango colorado has four breweries in a town with 16000 people giving it a one brewery per 4150ish person ratio... that is a beer loving town my friend.

bifrost17 likes this.
  16. maltmaster420

I count ten active breweries:
    • 10 Barrel
    • Below Grade
    • Bend Brewing
    • Boneyard
    • Brew Werks (brand new)
    • Cascade Lakes
    • Deschutes
    • Goodlife
    • McMenamin's
    • Silver Moon
    There's also 3 more slated to open soon: Crux Fermentation Project, Worthy Brewing, and Ale Apothecary. That said, even with 13 it still puts Bend at 1 brewery per ~5,800 people, so at least for now Durango can claim the per capita award.

I think an interesting comparison would be production output per capita. I think Deschutes' output alone is probably larger than all four of Durango's breweries...

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  17. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I'd sub Chicago or Anchorage in for Milwaukee, personally.

I have to admit that for all the beer traveling that I do, Charlottesville has been completely off my radar. Will have to look into it. . .

18. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Anybody had anything from this "Freemont Brewing?"

Also, lol at putting Milwaukee on the list but not mentioning THE BEAST!

punkhim, beertunes and maltmaster420 like this.
  19. Good to see Burlington on there. Lots of beer wallop packed into such a tiny city.

20. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Probably! Ska's the only one of any size, although Durango Brewing has gotten a bit bigger and more widespread.

In terms of production output, Ft. Collins would have to be pretty high on that list just because New Belgium and Odell are on that list. FC Brewing is moderately large, too. If you count the big guys, there's an AB brewery where a lot of the Michelob and Shock Top items come from, too. Their population's about 2x what Bend's is, though.

21. SFACRKnight

i'm just stating the obvious, not making new rules to the game.

22. draheim

Care to match up output/per capita for Bend (76k) vs. Chico (86k)...?

23. maltmaster420

Heh. That might just be the winner.

24. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Who knows what the criteria is for this list. Philly would be on my list... probably in the top 5 if my sole criteria is number and quality of beer bars, as well as breweries available. However, Philly is also pretty expensive, and is not all that easy to get around. Those are the only reasons I can think of why it wouldn't be on this list.

YaKnowBrady and Thorpe429 like this.
  25. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Per BA's Places, Philly only has 8 breweries. That's probably why. The constant whine of 'we have distribution and can get everything' doesn't equal quality local beer. I think this list is more based on locally produced beer vs. anything else.

I'd also sub in Anchorage, none of it sees distribution as it's too expensive, but they have an amazing local scene. If you were to visit, you would Not be dissappointed. Very quality beers being produced.

26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Stone Bistro is worth a lot of money. Worth it for impressive grounds? Yes. Worth it for the food and beers? No. Go to Alpine's brewpub @ 11AM Saturday. Kickass BBQ and beers.

27. draheim

Per BA's places, Charlottsville has 2 breweries and Burlington has 6. Granted, per capita that still compares favorably to Philly. But as mentioned above, so do Bend and Chico, and probably several other cities. Someone's always going to get left off a list like this and to me, the omission of Philly was surprising. From everything I've heard, it's a great beer town regardless of how many beers are actually made there.

28. bifrost17

Thanks for the tip man! I'll be sure to definitely check that out.

29. evilc

I should want you though that Alpine's brewpub is a shack next door to a cobwebbed bookstore and "beauty" salon. The building looks like a trailer park or a prison. Food and beer though!!

30. bifrost17

Haha that's cool man, one of my favorite tasting rooms here is in a garage, I'm all about slummin it.

Rasputin and BlastBeats like this.
  31. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

no bay area lovin, north bay/ santa rosa?
    ive hit marin, lagunitas, russian river, bear republic and speak easy all in the same day before...

32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

My folks took a trip to Charlottesville and really enjoyed themselves (did the Brew Ridge Trail and everything). Not surprised to see them on the list, given the beauty of the area combined with some solid brewing.

Sunhunters likes this.
  33. Add Fiddlehead Brewing in Shelburne to that list, it's only 3 miles south of Magic Hat on Rt 7.

34. hmph

hmph Savant (265) Virginia Jun 9, 2011

Well, Charlottesville is credited with having the following, Devils Backbone, Wild Wolf Brewing, Blue Mountain Brewery, Starr Hill, as well as South Street Brewery. The first three are all on Rt 151 and within 20 minutes of each other but each fall in a different 'city/town' (Roseland, Nellysford, and Afton). Starr Hill started at a bar near downtown Charlottesville but quickly grew and moved to their 'Crozet' location. Also...Keglers bowling alley has a small brewing area but feel free to ignore and pass it by...

35. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

I'm from VA and I'm shocked to see Charlottesville on here. I mean blue mountain and devil's backbone are solid, and the area is beautiful, but There are some places that have a bigger mark on the map. I'd love to see Charlottesville get there, but they're not there yet.

36. MacNCheese

Jesus, exaggerate much? Alpine > Stone all day and night when it comes to what's important: beer. It's an older building and looks nothing like a trailer park or prison.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  37. evilc

Um
    That's what I said spaz. The bulding is a dump. You'll be OK.

38. MacNCheese

At least I know you won't be there taking up space.

39. evilc

I'm there all the time.

40. awesome that Milwaukee (aka brew city) is on there. They failed to mention the plethora of other great WI breweries (Ale Asylum, Capital, Central Waters, Tyranena, etc...) but hit the two high notes in New Glarus and Lakefront.