1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

10 Best Vacation Cities for Beer Lovers

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by mjshearer1, Jun 19, 2012.

1. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (750) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I love Ft Collins but how they have that on there and not Denver blows my mind.

2. I'd rather go to Boston than Portland. Better breweries in Portland, sure, but 99% of what you would go there for is in Boston anyway. Once distribution comes into play...

3. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (280) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Because in Fort Collins you can ride your bike (which is what everyone does) from brewery to brewery with an avg time between breweries of about 5-10 mins. I'll put my homerism out there all day! Haha.

4. Garages are awesome for tasting rooms thats how Three Floyds started.

5. Boston doesn't get Deschutes unfortunately.

6. Portland Maine. Should have even specific.

7. Haha ah that makes way more sense. That's what I get for not reading the rest of the thread and only the article.

8. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Swap Portland, Maine for Philly, or GTFO

9. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

Good beer and good atmosphere, but the food is very expensive and leaves a lot to be desired.

10. Not easy to get around? Compared to New York or San Francisco yes, but in the grand scheme of things no. Most of the good beer spots in Philly are within 20-30 minutes walking distance of each other. Philadelphia is not that big of a city either, IMO. Plus I really don't count the Northeast or West Philadelphia (well except for Dock Street) as most of the good places are in Old City, South Philly, or Fishtown.

11. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

In other news, another moron puts out a list that is somehow about beer. Everyone disagrees. More on this after weather with Keith Storm.

12. seanchai

seanchai Advocate (580) Virginia May 23, 2009

As a Cville resident, gotta agree.

hmph and Sunhunters like this.
  13. TheBeerSnob

TheBeerSnob Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012

When I saw San Diego as #2 I thought it had to be Brussels at #1, but then I realized this was US only...

So I prepared myself for comedy.

But nothing could prepare me for the humor of putting Milwaukee ahead of SD. Somebody's trollin!

14. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (995) California Oct 13, 2007

Did the author forget there are other places to visit outside the United States?

15. Any list of 'best of' or most any other list are completely subjective to the tastes and whims of the author. In fact, some lists are completely subjective to the amount of advertising a company does in the publication in which the article appears. Therefore you should take this list and all others with however many grains of salt you need and use it as a guide not as a directive.

16. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

The American focus of that article is appalling. Bamberg, Franconia, anyone?

17. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (425) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

My favorite tasting room is my garage too. Who the hell cares what the place looks like as long as the beer is good!!!

bifrost17 likes this.
  18. Domingo

Domingo Champion (955) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

The breweries are closer together and more established. All 7.5 breweries in Ft. Collins (soon to be 8) are within a 2 mile radius. In Denver they're a bit more scattered. Plus, it's tough to compete with the history behind New Belgium and Odell. Great Divide and the much smaller 'Koop are the only non-upstarts around.
    Denver's arguably better, but only if you're willing to drive a bit.

19. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (705) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

For the record, Fort Collins should read:

Fort Collins, Longmont, Boulder & Denver, CO (they pretty much listed all of them in the description anyhow)

The area has 68 breweries within a 15-60 mile max radius. 25 in Denver (not including Arvada, Aurora, or Westminister) alone by the end of the year, 19 currently.

87 breweries within a 50-mile radius of Longmont, CO

Domingo likes this.
  20. cfh64

True, but does Ft Collins have Falling Rock? Enough said.

21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,245) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Mayor of Old Town looks to be decent..

SalukiAlum likes this.
  22. Bitterbill

1 place for each of the states listed...

23. cfh64

Actually, that reminded me of Choice City. Ok, I take my comment back about Falling Rock, kind of. I love Choice City. I remember sitting outside with my wife and a buddy on an awesome fall morning drinking Le Terroir while eating buffalo hash and truffle cheese for breakfast. That place is f'in awesome!

SalukiAlum likes this.
  24. Bitterbill

Choice City I've been to and it is awesome...as long as you can get used to going to 1 counter for food, another for the brews. ;)

Oh, and I had Eric's Ale there back in 09.

25. This is exactly right. Blue Mountain makes good, drinkable beers that won't blow your mind. The Eight Point IPA from Devil's Backbone successfully quenched my thirst at the The Edge bar at Wintergreen Ski Resort, and I was doubly glad to have it available because every other vendor at the resort was selling $7 aluminum bottles of bud light.

I don't know Wild Wolf or South Street, but Starr Hill has utterly failed to impress me. They were the second Virginian brewery I was ever aware of, so I took it upon myself to try their full line of beers. They offer watered-down verisons of several popular styles, but none of it is worth the money.

(The first VA brewery I knew of was Old Dominion which was a nice, fairy avante garde micro brewery from 1989 to 2007 when it was purchased by Fordham/AB InBev. They made Tupper's Hop Pocket, New River Pale Ale, and Millennium which were all favorites of mine when I first started drinking craft ales)

Mark Intihar nailed it on the head - if you like greenery then Charlottesville and the surrounding country side is one of the most beautiful places on earth that you could ever hope to see. It's really spectacular to get up on the ridge of the Appalachians and look out over endless hills of thick, beautiful forest.

It's more of a beautiful place that you can find some good beer than it is a good place to go looking for beer.

hmph likes this.
  26. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,290) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Durango is great, but when I was there; nothing mind blowing was coming outta there. Still a great vacation destination...

27. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,290) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Best ( Buffalo& or beef ) Burger I've ever had in my life & much great beers

28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

ska has some good brews, modus hoperandi is one of my favorite IPAs, and their ESB is a great session brew. it's not avery or odell, but worth checking out.

29. The page for Seattle didn't even mention Elysian Brewing Company? Please inform me -- is that a huge omission?

30. Bend, OR really is becoming a legitimate #1 for these beer vacation lists. Now that Crux and Ale Apothecary are up and running with Worthy soon to follow, the "city" is a tour de force of craft beer brewing. When factoring in the beer bars, bottle shops, distribution, scenery, amphitheater and outdoor recreation oppotunities, Bend has it all in spades. And the best part is all the beer places are within a square mile or two from one another.

AleApothecary and matttttYCE like this.
  31. kinopio

kinopio Savant (410) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

They mention Bend and give reasons why they listed Portland instead. Does it really blow your mind that they didn't list two cities from the same state?

32. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I'm just happy anytime I see Kalamazoo get some love!

33. dedrinker

dedrinker Savant (410) Kansas May 13, 2006

This is dumb. They have no idea what they are talking about. Neither do I.

34. I have to strongly agree with you on this one. I figured the San Francisco area would be on the list. Anchor, Russian River, Sierra Nevada, Anderson Valley, etc.

35. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (685) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

San Diego, Portland OR, Cleveland, Southwestern MI (Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo)

36. Raleigh-Durham - Great commerical beers, one hell of a homebrew scene, and the local breweries are just a lot of fun. the local people know their beer too.
    Cleveland, OH - Great Lakes taproom is a historical lesson while drinking amazing beer. Market Garden, Fat Head's, Brew Kettle, Willoughby Brewing. Great stuff all within an hour of each other.
    Asheville, NC - same as RDU, just bigger.
    Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, MI - Bell's and Founders.
    Chicago - 3Floyds and Goose Island
    San Diego - obvious

37. 3leven

3leven Aficionado (140) Jun 28, 2012

I did, too. July/August Market Watch talked about The Beer Shoppe in Ardmore. I would be in absolute heaven after what I read about it. I've heard of their beer boutiques in Philly, too. Just sounds like the kinda the place to be.

38. DStoked

DStoked Savant (335) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

This list should be subtitled: "AKA, 10 Cities Where There Is Absolutely Nothing Else To Do Except Drink Beer"

39. azorie

azorie Advocate (735) Florida Mar 18, 2006

yea its like anyone lists though, its there favorites and not mine. Va is not a beer meeca IMHO.

40. azorie

azorie Advocate (735) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Seattle, San Diego,Portland,Or etc your kidding right?