1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

10 Breweries About to Blow Up In 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HokiesandBeer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Boneyard is awesome.

Black Raven is also expanding so I can see them broadening their fan base.
  2. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think Revolution is going to crash through too. If not in 2013 then definitely next year. I'd give Half Acre a better than decent shot too.
  3. I wish I knew about Half Acre. My last trade guy in Chicago couldnt get me a can of Daisy Cutter (i cant complain because he did send 6 ZDs, Ninja vs Unicorn, FFF In The Name of Suffering/Mutiny & The Mullosk, and Very Mad Cow). The whole reason I arranged the trade was with the notion of finally trying Daisy Cutter.
  4. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I'd like to propose Jester King and Prairie Artisan Ales. Chase Healy appears to be doing nearly 100% barrel-aged beers that unbelievably tasty. I compared their Prairie Noir to a slightly weaker version of Bourbon County Brand Stout.

And Jester King not only because they've come out with some awesome sours, but last night, they brewed a Gueuze-style beer that's undergoing spontaneous fermentation in their very own coolship. Link sauce: http://jesterkingbrewery.com/first-100-spontaneous-coolship-brew
  5. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

HotD (literally!!) if they don't get their carbonation issues under control!!:D
  6. How about Hardywood (Richmond, VA)... Two up two down STAND UP!!
  7. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

crash or break out?
  8. mecummins

Umm... I think you did OK. :rolleyes: My favorite Half Acre is a seasonal (Big Hugs) but I can see Daisy Cutter as being their breakthrough beer. It's pretty widely available here. I'm betting that somebody who trades from Chicago would be able to locate some for you pretty easily.
  9. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

No Boneyard, Block15 or for that matter any Oregon brewery, the list sucks.
  10. if thats you, ill do it. I want that damn beer. Its like my white whale at this point.
  11. mecummins

Crash through as in crash through the local wall into nation wide attention.
  12. DC Brau and Devil's Backbone
  13. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Savant (305) Iowa Feb 22, 2013

Have heard a lot of good things about Toppling Goliath - can't wait to make the trek up that way
  14. mbockstruck30

gotcha. when I hear crash, I typically think the opposite. I agree, Rev is already distributing to OH now and in some of IL. They can only grow. They've been one of my favorite Chicago breweries since opening a few years ago. However, Pipeworks consistency and balance execution has moved them way ahead.
    Kubrickx and mecummins like this.
  15. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Aficionado (235) Ohio Dec 18, 2008

Keep an eye out for Conquest Brewing Company Columbia, SC as well. Those guys are putting out some great stuff on draft.
  16. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Savant (345) Florida Sep 6, 2011

As a long-time resident of Dunedin, FL... I hope one day 7venth Sun Brewery gains the attention it deserves. It's only a year old though :) If you're in the Clearwater area, give them a try.. they have some awesome brews.
  17. Madcap74

Madcap74 Disciple (70) Ohio Jan 12, 2013

Does pipeworks have a tasting room? Where can you get their beer in Chicago? Taking a trip in April and want to make sure to try them.
  18. mbockstruck30

Follow this thread in the Great Lakes forum for all Pipeworks updates:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/latest-pipeworks-releases-and-updates.21179/

Their website usually lists the locations of where its available, but its currently under construction:
    http://www.pipeworksbrewing.net

Tasting room/bottle shop coming this spring (hopefully).
    mecummins and Madcap74 like this.
  19. So sensitive.
  20. Come on Jack's Abby! Please distribute to you neighbor just over the border!
  21. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Can't disagree with this list at all. I'd also add Perrin Brewing in Grand Rapids. Absolutely world-class beers.
  22. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (630) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Excited to hear about Odd Side bottling plans. Have had 3 or 4 from them on draft and all very nice. Mayan Mocha stout was yum!
    Jose2412 likes this.
  23. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Just had Pipeworks Coffee Break Abduction this weekend...was really, really good. and Ninja v. Unicorn and Well Read Temptress are also top notch.
  24. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

They have a freakin' bus!
  25. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

I don't think its too soon to say...
  26. I think Food Republic is based out of New York...thus the Eastern bias. It says their favorite breweries, not the best breweries. This list shows that Food Republic has very little knowledge of the West Coast beer scene.
  27. mudbug

Yep, no knowledge at all it seems.
  28. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Do you want these breweries to blow up so you can, along with your PNW brethren ignore more trading posts? I don't get it.
    stx00lax likes this.
  29. Probably one of the best beer lists of any kind I have seen in a long time.
    HokiesandBeer likes this.
  30. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Waiting for some Ninja to show up on the porch any day now !

Cheers....
  31. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

Prarie Artisan is going places. Of the 3 beers I had of theirs, all of them were great. I had the ale, hop, and noir. Wish I was sticking around AR so I could regularly get them.
    chaseabeer and OUJayhawk1799 like this.
  32. Let's see. 4 breweries from the East Coast. PA, FL, MA, NY. 4 breweries from the MidWest. IA, MI, IL, MO. 1 Mountain state, CO and one West Coast state, CA.

Now you being from Oregon and all, obviously have zero West Coast bias right? I mean I'm sure you've had ton's of beers from Tired Hands, Barrier Brewing, Funky Buddha and Jack's Abbey right? So since you've had so many beers from ALL these breweries then of course you're in position to determine that Boneyard or Block15 or ANY Oregon brewery is more deserving.

You sound like a child.
  33. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Hate to say it, but this expansion ain't happening any time soon. And if it does, I wouldn't expect them out of SoCal in the next five years. Funds aren't in place, new brewery isn't designed & distribution by anyone other than Alpine is a long, long way off. Love their beer, but I'm not convinced that they actually WANT to expand. More power to 'em if they don't.

Instead, check out Societe Brewing Company just North of San Diego. They put out 3 of the top five IPA's in San Diego this past year. And that's sayin' something, especially when the other two are from Alpine.
  34. mudbug

Hey, all I did was point out the obvious East Coast bias in the article. If that is cause enough for you to get insulting, well go look in the mirror to see the child here.
  35. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

You can't really describe their IPA's. Many have tried. I'll just say that it is worth a trip to San Diego from anywhere in the United States just to try this brewery. Of course, you would also get to try Alesmith, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Port/Lost Abby, Stone, Hess, Offbeat, Helm's, Ironfire, Mission etc. But yes, a night in the motel across from Alpine with growlers of Bad Boy, Nelson, PH, maybe even Hoppy Birthday & bottles of Expo would be the beer highlight of the decade for any hophead. Of course, they don't announce their releases (thank god) so you never know what you're going to get.
  36. You: "There's no Oregon breweries on this this. This list sucks." :mad: .

I'm sorry that I find that childish.
  37. mudbug

So what? Nowhere in the article does it say the list is a regional list, you have to assume that it is because of the location of the publication. If you don't make that assumption then the list is quite obviously lacking. Maybe "sucks" was too harsh but I stand by my opinion.
  38. Fair enough but they didn't say "the best" or "top 10" they said "our favorites".
  39. mmtmatrix

mmtmatrix Zealot (80) Colorado Aug 8, 2007

Brewers are becoming the new gq!
  40. mudbug

It's all just opinions, everyone has one