1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

10 gallons. 2 dif. yeast starters?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, May 8, 2012.

1. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I am going to do a 10 gallon batch. I need to ferment in two 5 gallon buckets. I am also going to do a yeast starter.
    Any ideas on how to go about this?
    2 different yeast starters so I can put one in each. Or can I make one big one and split it(not sure how to do this).
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

As long as you are using the same yeast strain for both, you could do one big starter and split between the two buckets. What part are you not sure how to do?

Edit: I should have mentioned that a starter for a 10 gallon batch may need to be a 'step-up' starter, depending on gravity, yeast age, etc.
  3. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

10 gallons of kolsch , going to be using wyeast kolsch yeast 2565. I was just not sure how to get equal amounts of each in each bucket. Was going to use 2 vials, but do you think I could just do 1 vial and a starter? assuming the yeast is very fresh.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Splitting should not be too hard. Eyeballing should get you close enough. Or you could weigh it out if you want the split to be exact. As to whether you can make this starter from one vial (without multiple steps), just run the numbers through Mr. Malty...

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

If it turns out you need to step-up (and you don't want to use two vials in your starter), check out YeastCalc...

http://www.yeastcalc.com/index.html
  5. JMF

JMF Disciple (65) California Mar 10, 2012

Oooh....I like that Yeastcalc site.
    Thanks!
  6. For my 18 gallon batches I use one vile in a one gallon starter, then pour that into a 2 gallon starter the next day and let that go for 2 days. I think you would be all set with a one gallon, one vile starter poured into another one gallon the next day, wait a day or 2, Crash, pour off the top and split between the two.
  7. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

When I'm using 2 buckets and one yeast for a 10 gallon batch I boil enough wort for 2 flasks. I put about half the yeast in each flask, then pour the wort from one flask to the other 6 or 8 times. It mixes and equalizes the yeast in each flask plus adds lots of oxygen.
  8. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

That's a nice calculator.