1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

10 milliliters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Feb 18, 2013.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

A BA from LA recently brought me a couple bottles of Pliny the Elder :), now that it's no longer distributed in Washington. :(

I was puzzled to see on the label: 1 pint, 1.25 fl. oz. (510 ML).
    When we used to get Pliny here, the labels said: 1 pint, .90 fl. oz (500 ML).

I'm pretty sure the bottles are exactly the same size, the same kind of 0.5 L bottles that Weihenstephaner and Ayinger beers come in.

So I'm just curious. Why would a beer bottled for the California market allegedly contain 10 milliliters more beer than the same beer bottled for the Washington market? I'm pretty sure the bottling process isn't that precise, so this seems to be more of a labeling issue. Anyone? Cheers!
    brewbetter likes this.
  2. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

I think you're on to something here, the extra 10 ml might be what causes California to sink to the bottom of the ocean.
  3. You're drunk. Go to bed.
    RobertColianni and Hopsiam14 like this.
  4. draheim

So you wouldn't find it a little odd if Founders packaged beer in 12oz bottles for Michigan but 12.1oz bottles for Ohio? That's all I'm getting at here. I'm not drunk but I am going to bed. Thanks for your useful contribution.
  5. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (260) Brazil May 27, 2011

10 ml is almost nothing. They're probably just cramping up 10 ml more on what was air before. Less oxygen, less oxidation, more beer. Seems like a win-win situation.
  6. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

This is probably why they pulled out of WA - I am thinking some weird state law of some sort?

I know people bash PtE these days (for some odd reasons) but I sure miss it a lot :(
    draheim likes this.
  7. Yeah, i probably would. I was drunk. ;)
  8. I noticed the same thing on the last 2 Pliny's I had. I was curious because it seems like a standard 500ml bottle but is labeled as a 510ml.
  9. draheim

Well then I hope you took your own advice.
  10. I did. I was typing out loud to myself
  11. Seattle is closer to the North Pole than Santa Rosa. You have to make the adjustment for the latitude. Plus, you have more Canadians in your market so they have t be more truthful about the metric measurements.
  12. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think it's more likely that it's always been closer to 510 and they finally updated the labels. I believe that It Takes a lot of Great Beer and Row 2 were labeled as 510 and I found it odd because it's the same bottles. Hardly surprising that they've updated the label for Pliny (and probably BP too).