10 min mash for Stone Smoked Porter

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BeerBodisafa, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I am going to brew this recipe out Greg Kock's book, and he says to "hold the mash at 157 for 10 minutes". Recipe for 5 gallons:

82.5% pale
    9.5% 75L crystal
    5.5% chocolate malt
    2.5% peat smoked malt

.71oz. Columbus @90
    .60oz. Mt. Hood @0
    WLP002

OG 1.065
    FG 1.018

2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Maybe a typo?

3. No probably not...just looked at my copy and it says to hold mashes for a bunch of their standard beers at 10 or 20 minutes. Maybe hold under heat for the time and then remove from heat? Is 10 minutes enough for proper starch conversion? I can't believe I never noticed that before!

4. SDDanC

SDDanC Initiate (0) California Mar 1, 2011

i dont have the book, can you provide a little more information?

5. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/

Looks like they mash at 154, but unfortunately, I can't find anything regarding mash times in the document, unless you look at the mini-mash times for the extract + mini-mash/specialty grain recipes. When in doubt 45-60 minutes.

6. My copy definitely says a 10 min mash...in fact it repeats it for the "Advance Stone Smoked Porter" on pg 165...hard to believe that's a typo. It then calls for a mashout @ 165*F...and a slow continuous sparge for an hour. So if you are mashing out and slow sparging...effectively you are doing an hour mash...just not at a constant 157*F.

Never tried it...but I wonder?

7. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (860) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Pretty odd. The longer sparging isn't unusual, they are just fly sparging, instead of batch sparging, but I don't think 10 minutes is enough for conversion. Most of it takes place within the first 20 minutes, but man thats gotten lend to a really cloudy, really low gravity wort!

I wonder if it's a typo for the extract and partial mash... Crystal, chocolate and smoked peat could be mashed, and the small amount needed could make sense.

8. hobojon

hobojon Aficionado (170) California Mar 16, 2008

They probably do an extended recirculation at Stone, and forgot to include that in the recipe. I would mash for 60 minutes as usual. I think it is more important to hit 157 for the body and FG.

9. dgs

dgs Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2005

The Ruination all-grain recipe calls for a 60 min. mash.

10. Reading more of the recipes, the mash times vary from 10mins to 2 hours. I am staying with 1 hour, because its what I know, and it sounds like no one here has done a 10 min mash.

11. They may do it that way. Mashing in a 200 barrel batch (Stones brewhouse IIRC) takes time. Transfering to the lauter tun takes time. Add those 2 together and the 10 minute mash and you could be at an hour.

If you are going to brew it, e-mail the autors and cc: Mitch Steele. Post back what they say.

12. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (225) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

In his conversation with Jamil on Can You Brew It, Mitch Steel (brewmaster at Stone) says they do a 10-15 minute rest at 157 for their Levitation Ale also. Listen around the 29 minute mark. It's about 1/3 of the way through the interview. That would make 2 different styles with the same mash temp and mash time.
    http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/594

13. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Savant (420) Connecticut Jan 14, 2009

If your sparge is on the high end of mash rest temps, I could see how that might work, but with my equipment, I would just plan to use a traditional amount of time. I can understand how time is money on big time production equipment, but I think a more reliable result happens on a smaller scale with a more typical rest time.

dasenebler likes this.