1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

$100 Case of Beer

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by rwc332, Jul 13, 2012.

1. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

just picked up 5 thirty packs of PBR for $99.45................. no........ but seriously, I did buy 2 for $39.82...............
  2. Dog Fish Head Palo Santo Marron.
    Jparkanzky likes this.
  3. Ruination 10th Anniversary. $90. /thread
  4. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Won't be the next case, since it isn't released again until November, but Terrapin Wake n' Bake. $60ish for a case of one of the best stouts I've had, and it'll leave you $40 for snacks. Or another case of something.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  5. Worldwide Stout costs nearly TWO hundred dollars. In fact, with taxes, I think it's more. It's about $8 a bottle.
  6. Case sales are a blessing in disguise. Cases are WAY cheaper per unit than buying bottles. Most of us pooling money as a group don't mind buying by the case, and actually appreciate the savings. Try buying 12 bombers or 24 twelve ounce bottles by the six or four pack. It gets ridiculous fast. Always buy cases if I can. Even if I only want a few bottles, God knows there are enough people I know in the area who will pick up the rest.
  7. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

a cash collection, ya genius.
  8. pitweasel

A case of Two Hearted by me is $44. That's $11 a six pack.

What's the rest of the country paying for a six pack that makes $11 "way cheaper"?

The case of Founders Breakfast Stout that I bought in October? $75. $12.50 for a four pack.

What's the rest of the country paying for a four pack that makes $12.50 "way cheaper"?

I could go on, but I'm just getting sad now.
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  9. Samichlaus Bier
    jmdrpi and vrbulldog22 like this.

10. We in Pennsylvania have some pretty fucked up laws about who can sell beer and in what quantities. As such, we can't buy six packs and cases in the same location. It also means that the places selling the sixers have fairly sizeable markups on their product in comparison to what a six pack would cost as a portion of a case. For us, case discounts can be fairly sizeable. The fact you can buy a 4-pack of Breakfast Stout for exactly 1/6 of the case cost, is remarkable. No mark up for buying a much smaller quantity? I'm in.

edit: Just realized you're in PA too. Now I don't know what to think about the pricing and availability YOU experience. lol
  11. The best deal I have seen on Breakfast stout was in Virginia. about 25$ a case on clearance at total wine.
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  12. Worst thread ever
  13. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

There are a lot of great beers you can get for $100/case or less. I love the idea of everybody chipping in and getting a case! Ignore the mixed 6/4pk suggestions. With your method your group all gets a shared experience and you can compare notes and really dig in to something.

So this is gonna cost a bit more than $100 but you need to call Stockertown Beverage (Eastern PA) (610) 746-5611 and find out where they sell Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S. and buy a dozen bombers. Better still, go crazy and convince you friends to chip in on a case of Barrel Aged Boris for just about twice what you wanted to spend... In either instance you are going to have a great night.
  14. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Avoid Dragon's Milk. I'm sorry, but that recipe needs some serious reconsideration.
  15. Bell's Expedition.
  16. HEADY TOPPER ROCKS
  17. pitweasel

Sorry, I think I was unclear with my post. The case prices I listed were what it costs me per case, then just the calculation for what a four pack/six pack WOULD cost if divided evenly. But of course that's not how it works.

However...in most of the rest of the country that I've ever visited (and that's a good number of states), their pricing for four packs, six packs, etc matches those theoretical prices that I listed. Thus, buying cases in PA may be a cost savings over buying a smaller pack here at home, but it sure as hell isn't a cost savings compared to what the same beer costs in smaller quantities in other states with different distribution models.
  18. Seriously? I can rattle off a large number of beers that are over $100 per case. Samichlaus or Rochefort 10 just to name a couple and the R10 would be well over $200. Just about anything Abbey brewed is going to be $100+ a case even if it's not trappist.
  19. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

This has been my experience. The only place where I've seen beer for comparably bad prices is in NYC, but everything is more expensive there. One of these days I'll write down average prices at few distributors for beers that are also available in NJ and DE then go to a Canals or Total Wine and compare. For most, if not all beers, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to (learn that all four of them habitually smoked marijuana cigarettes...REEFERS) find that the prices better prices per six at those places than what we would pay per six for the entire case. It's only a discount on our crappy single prices. The grocery stores have made it better for people that live near one, but the system still sucks and we're still overpaying and being forced to buy more than we normally want or need in order to get good prices.
  20. Really? I'd disagree completely with that. They're pretty much a dime a dozen now. Though, I guess it really depends where you live. And pretty much any bar sells at least 6-packs to go.
  21. jaybags

jaybags Savant (255) Michigan Mar 16, 2012

yes, where you live matters. salient point. i live in danville and it is 12 miles to the nearest weis that sells six packs. the nearest wegmans is 45 minutes away and its not like either have the best selection. when i lived in michigan and LA i would walk 5 minutes and be at a better beer store than i have here.
  22. pitweasel

Yes, this is a valid point. I stopped at a Wegmans in (or near) Bethlehem on my way to Boston, and they had Southern Tier 2XIPA for 9.99 a six pack. A second Wegmans just 10 minutes away had it for $10.99. The Wegmans closest to me (an hour away in Harrisburg) has it for $14.49 (regular ST IPA was $12.99!).

As far as six packs go, there's nowhere near me that I've found that has them at prices comparable to other cities I've lived in or visited. Troegs - brewed less than an hour away - goes for $11 or more for a six pack. SNPA is generally $11-12 a sixer. The Genny Tallboys that are supposed to run for 99 cents? Only place I've seen them so far had them at $1.49 - a nice 50% markup from the brewery's suggested price (and the only price I've ever seen them anywhere in New York state).
  23. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009