100% Malt Lagers

Discussion in 'New England' started by MVP09, Mar 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Wachusett New England Lager
    Jacks Abby House Lager

I have completely enjoyed both of these. Both are perfect for an everyday drinker and food beer. Glad to have 2 locals for a go to fridge beer.

seakayak likes this.
  2. jujigatame

jujigatame Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Never had that Wachusett but JA House Lager is a great anytime/anyplace beer. 6 packs of pint cans for under $10 is nice too.

3. TheSmokingChimp

TheSmokingChimp Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 Massachusetts

4. MVP09

Wachusett is solid. Great tasting German Pilsner. At $15 a 12pack of 12oz cans. Not a bargin but well worth it.

5. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Zealot (626) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anything Jack's Abby

seakayak likes this.
  6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I thought the Wachusett was an admirable attempt at a German Pils, but not something I'll revisit. I found Wormtown's Puxatawney Pils to be better. Jack's Abby House Lager has been a bit inconsistent for me, loved it when it first came out, haven't loved it as much the last few times (both draft and 16 oz. can).

I had a Rothaus Pils on draft this past Saturday, fuck, that beer is just in a different league compared to the above. I've also recently had Spaten Lager and Weihenstephan Original, the Germans just do it better for the most part in my opinion. Nobody hits those graham-cracker like sweetness, and bready Pils malt notes like they do.

Troegs Sunshine Pils will be out soon though, that's right up there as well.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  7. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I can't get enough of the fresh Pilsner Urquell bottles lately.

8. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

Oh yeah, when the cans/bottles are fresh they're spot on. Notch Pils is a local option that's always in my rotation, but that's a slightly different style than Urquell or a German Pils.

For the most part if I can find an import fresh, I'll buy that. There's some exceptions here and there, Berkshire's Czech Pils was also drinking great last year.

9. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Pooh-Bah (1,945) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Sierra Nevada Summerfest will be out soon enough (1 seasonal creep I don't mind that much). I like SN Nooner too, but most of the 12 packs sitting around at stores are too ancient for me.

Agree with @AlcahueteJ on the JA House Beer opinion - was really impressed by the 1st batches on draft and cans, but had a sixer this weekend that was off.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. MVP09

I've never done a head to head. What are the major differences between a Czech Pils and a German Pils? I enjoy both. Need to start trying the true European ones.

11. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

12. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/40/

vs

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/41/

I believe the knee-jerk difference is that German Pilsners should be sharper and more bitter than their Czech counerparts. In a blind tasting I don't know I'd be able to tell them apart. Really just comes down to regional ingredient and taste preferences. At this point Germans could easily source Czech hops, malt, water profile, yeast, and vice versa.

13. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

This is just my opinion, and what I perceive personally. Bear in mind, there's smaller differences (although still distinct) between different types in each "style". This would be akin to asking someone the difference between an English IPA and an American IPA. And then giving someone a so-called "West Coast IPA" and then a "New England Style IPA". If you did a side-by-side of each of those you'd wonder why both were simply called, "American IPA".

Which region of Germany you're in can have varying levels of hop bitterness/perception. And there's really no catch-all "Czech Pils" style, as different gravities will have different style names and flavor perceptions.

That being said, I'd say the major differences are the types of hops used, IBU ranges, and overall hop perception.

Saaz is typically used in Czech pilsners, and while the BJCP allows for a higher level of IBUs, the perception is that of a softer hop presence, also spicy, almost earthy too. A small amount of diacetyl is allowed (some might say preferred) in this style as well. ABV tends to be lower than German examples in my experience. Mouthfeel and finish is softer too.

A German pils appears hoppier to me, Noble hops are often used, think anything Sam Adams. Spicy, floral, noticeable, sharp hop bitterness with this style, and it often lingers on the tongue with a drier finish. IBU levels can be all over place, and hop perception can really sky rocket in American examples which tend to go a bit overboard in the dry hopping department in my opinion. Should be a clean beer overall, no perceptible flaws.

Remember, it's a PILSNER, so there should be balance in each style, with Pils malt not only being perceivable, but it should add quite a bit to the flavor profile. It's the most enjoyable part of any pilsner style in my opinion, the hop profile simply makes for a more diverse, and interesting drink. A great ADDITION to this style, but it should not steal the show.

meefmoff likes this.
  14. meefmoff

meefmoff Pooh-Bah (1,848) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For the longest time I really loved some pilsners while being 'meh' on others without realizing there was any particular rhyme or reason to my preferences. It was only after reading some threads around here that I figured out my taste seems to fall pretty consistently on the German side of things. Your description above does a good job of describing what makes the German ones tastier to my palate.

And I agree about the malt. I crave that specific crackery taste the same way I crave various hop flavors in other beers.

And in answer to the OP, Nightshift is canning their pilsner soon which I presume is all malt. I liked it on tap so I'll be very curious how it translates. Though hopefully it will be cheaper than the rest of the lineup since, while this may not be fair to the style, I'm not terribly inclined to spend $14 on a 4 pack of pils.

15. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Had it on tap at Deep Ellum this past weekend. It was ridiculous good.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  16. Brad007

Brad007 Pooh-Bah (2,797) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

Would love to see that here.

17. MVP09

Good explanations, thanks. Helps me understand. I prefer German than. My tastes definitely side on Nooner, Crisp and Elm City. With House and NE Lager. I like Little Y Pils, Gansett, and Lagunitas. But feel they are a little too sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.