1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

1000 Beer Advocate Beer Reviews...what was yours?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by merc7186, Jan 6, 2013.

1. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

I usually hate these type of threads because they have been done over and over...so I will be a hypocrite and do it anyways. I am approaching my 1000th BA tick and have two special beers lined up for #999 and #1000...Bruery Batch 1 Levuds and Bruery Batch 1 Barrel Aged Levuds. While I have heard that these beers were great when they were fresh and haven't held up to age all that well, but I am a huge Bruery fan boy, so these beers have a special place for me. I acquired these beers from a really cool Beer Advocate user (thanks Vurt) who saw them as my White Whale and helped me out.

I know there are a lot of tickers out there and was curious as to what beers were ticked for their 1000th.
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I'm coming up to my 1,000th review as well. I was thinking of doing something I've drunk plenty of times but have never reviewed: Heineken. Why not? Seems fitting.

Another interesting question is how long it took you to get to 1,000 reviews. I don't consider myself a ticker in any way, though I still think four and a half years is pretty quick. That's about 240 a year.

Cheers,
    Jeff
  3. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

Good point Jeffo...my first review was on June 1, 2011. So it will have taken me about 20 month to get there. I should note that I am not one of those guys that gets a 1 ounce poor then runs away into a corner to tick it. I think anything less than a 4/5oz sample is not enough unless it is something that is uber rare...then I might make an exception. I recently had Isabella Proximus and wanted to tick but just couldn't do it. I travel a lot for work and hit up a lot brewpubs, breweries, beer bars and have several tasting groups that take me in while I am on the road.
    gcamparone likes this.
  4. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I'm only at 7xx so give me another 8 months or so ;)

Dope
  5. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

I believe it was May of 2009, Terrapin Rye Squared. I was not a fan.

And like Jeffo, it took me 4 years to get to that point.
  6. dogfishandi

dogfishandi Savant (455) New York Jan 24, 2009

I'm just about at 700, lost a couple reviews overnight due to the fact u can no longer review the same beer under different serving types.

Merc, let me know when that's going down, I'd love to try some of that rareness...
  7. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Yeah. Fun stuff. I usually expect at least a 3oz taster to do a proper "review" (ie: not just a score), and there are a few rare beers I've missed out on reviewing. Beat, Isabella, Malvasia Rosso, Rare DOS, Konjaks Stormaktsporter, etc. The context just wasn't right either.

Still, a total of 1,000 reviews in 20 months is impressive (or compulsive). That's a lot of 5oz beers... I've often thought about what makes me different than a true ticker. I think it's that if a friend offered me a beer I scored 4+ or a beer I've never heard of, I'd pick the 4+ whereas the ticker would probably pick the other one. No decision is better than the other, but I think that's where I am at this point.

Jeff
  8. I was almost at 700, few away, till 40ish were deleted dubbed as duplicates. I am lazy about reviewing, been doing it since 08.
  9. 02-07-2012

Left Coast Black Magic Stout

Funny since it hasn't had a review since then even though they had like 4 bottles left for 6 bucks. Since then less than a year later I tacked on almost 500 reviews. Damn I am an alcoholic ticker.

edit: and these are 12oz bottle ticks and 22oz bottle ticks. All done by myself.
    thecheapies likes this.
  10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

My 1000th review was Avery Ellie's Brown Ale (my wife is an Ellie)... It took me about 10 months and I drank about an average 11 oz. of each of the beers.
  11. Valkyrie from Enegren Brewing.
  12. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Black Albert apparently. Didn't notice I'd surpassed the 1K marker.
    SatlyMalty and Chaney like this.
  13. I consider myself somewhat of a ticker. For my 1000th I just did whatever beer was shoved in front of my face at the moment. For me, it was Tröegs Scratch #73 (Fest Lager). Kinda anti-climactic, however, it's only beer...
    match1112, nlmartin and davey101 like this.
  14. How the hell does anyone have time to do 1000 solid reviews in anything less than at least 3 years? One beer a day is about 2.7 years. People who are saying 10 months? How? I'm sitting at 218 right now and I've been going for a little less than a year. And I thought I reviewed a lot...
  15. I have been to tastings in my area where peeps do about 15-20 ticks per night. Pretty sick, huh?
  16. I don't see how you can do 15-20 reviews a night accurately. That's a lot of alcohol and your palette is going to get fucked up.
    Gosox8787 and Thehuntmaster like this.
  17. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Only at 400 over two years. God damn!!!!!

I guess for a milestone like that I'd have to go back to my roots. Rolling Rock. So classy.
  18. I meant to say, "15-20 reviews in a SINGLE night."
  19. I still don't see how you can do 15-20 reviews in a single night accurately. I don't think that's really good reviewing... it takes time and attention, not to mention a clean palette, none of which can be easily accomplished after 15 beers (even at lower portion sizes).
  20. I agree with you, however, you can take that up with my peeps in the the DC area and some of the top reviewers here on BA.
  21. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (250) California Nov 25, 2010

There must be some legendary beer belly's on this thread.
    BigCheese, Levitation and Chaney like this.
  22. I 'had' 1000+ reviews but just noticed that all of my repeats (different versions) have been purged from the system, so I guess I get a second 1000th review! Hurray?
  23. I have a really hard time reviewing beer when I'm at a tasting. I've done it, but it's difficult. I much prefer sitting down by myself over a half hour or so after dinner.
    Profchaos20 likes this.
  24. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Utopias 09 was mine
  25. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

just last month i hosted a big imperial stout tasting for my 1000th review. 999 was Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord '12 and 1000 was Brandy Vanilla Dark Lord '11.

i originally intended on doing Blabaer for 1000 but it didnt arrive in time so we had a 2nd tasting of sours like 3 weeks later.
  26. Guinness Draught - kinda had to do this one, with my user name. ;)
  27. I've done 1 review in two+ years. I'll let you know around the year 4012 if you are still interested.
    beertunes likes this.
  28. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

I actually got to 1000 then got knocked down in total #s because of that new policy. I had chosen a 2008 Pannepot Reserva (Riserva?) as my original 1000th review - FWIW, it took me nearly 6 years to get to 1000 - but now I've got about 25 reviews to go before reaching it again. Not sure what "special" beer will be my second #1000. . . .
  29. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

Funny you say that - I've told a few friends recently that I got to 1000 beer reviews (the # has been reduced due to the no-repeats new policy, so I'm now at about 970+), and a number have then asked: "What do you get for that?" To which I invariably reply: "A beer belly" or "20 pounds".....
  30. Mine was Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru. Decided to go with something from Sierra since they are my "local" brewery. Joined the site in March 2006, hit number 1000 on Dec. 10th 2010.
  31. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I'm at 1608 now

# 1000 for me was Westy 12
    cmmcdonn likes this.
  32. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Westy is going to be my #900. 1000 will most likely be whatever local 1-off I can get my hands on at the time.
  33. dbrauneis

Actually, since you asked I usually do 2-3 beers an evening after work (I work from home so I start right after I finish up with one before dinner and then one or two after dinner. I usually got a couple more on the weekend days, especially when watching sporting events. Usually shared a bomber or two a week with other local BAs.

I did very few reviews of beers at festivals or anything like that, unless it was a pay by the glass. There were certainly a few that I did not finish and drain poured. The only days that I have like 15 or more entered on are days where I entered ones I had handwritten in my notebook - from when I was out and about and did not have a computer/tablet with me.

I also travel a fair amount for business (and some for pleasure) so I am able to encounter quite a few different beers that way. I live right at the juncture of a couple of states so have massive amounts of distribution to chose from and friends/family that pick me up interesting beers whenever they see them.

I spent the last year exploring different beers - I rarely had more than one of any beers but that will change, it was a chance to retry beers from my past and expand my palate.
  34. dbrauneis

Agree - I would only review at a tasting event/festival if it was a "pay as you go" kind of event where you get relatively decent pours (a lot of the ones around here do 8 oz pours for those). And I would only review a handful in a day - think like 12 hours with plenty of food consumed as well.
  35. dbrauneis

Well, I gave up drinking soda and other soft drinks when I increased my beer consumption - so no real difference was made in the belly department. Also, I moved to an urban area and walk most places so I rarely spend time in the car - that made for a small reduction in belly size.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

37. My 1000th may be a 2017 Black Tuesday!
  38. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Brooklyn Local #1. #1001 was Brooklyn Local #2.
  39. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (250) California Nov 25, 2010

For the record, I'm skinny ( American standard) but my unmistakable round beer belly gives me away that I partake in the finest of biers. (Yes I wrote Biers, must be the Achel double in me)
  40. I'm like a buck fifty outside of a thousand.

wait, 227. Damnit.