1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

1056 yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlordi12, Sep 25, 2012.

1. I just brewed an APA with an OG of 1.055 and I just checked the gravity after about 9 days and I just got a reading of 1.006. Beer calculus told me this beer was going to finish at ~1.012. Is this normal? I've been fermenting between 62-65 F.

2. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

What temperature did you mash at?

3. It was an extract recipe

4. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (365) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

All grain or extract? and how are you measuring your gravity? Hydrometer or refractometer? what is your recipe? we need more info.

5. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Final gravity will vary based on yeast strain, mash temperature, and recipe formulation. Calculators just give you an estimate and don't necessarily take all these factors into account.

6. Extract.
    Hydrometer
    #3 Pilsen
    #3 golden light
    #1 honey

Fermentation temps read 62-65.

7. GatorBeer

Like homebrew42 said. Also, did you do a temperature correction for your hydrometer reading? Could be a discrepancy there.

8. I measured right @ 60 degrees. Unless my thermometer is jacked up I don't think that is it.

9. Homebrew42

Honey is a highly fermentable sugar that may cause the the gravity to finish lower than the calculator estimates.

MrOH likes this.
  10. Maybe , although I punched everything in individually.

11. Homebrew42

Right, but many calculators aren't that sophisticated and whatever you're using may just be estimating FG based on OG, and the FG of an extract + honey wort to a given OG is going to be lower than an all extract wort to that same OG. In other words the calculator may be basing it's FG estimate on an all extract wort, not a wort made of extract and honey.

MrOH likes this.
  12. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (225) New York Aug 3, 2012

Few days age, some one suggested me to test my Hydrometer. try measure tap water gravity @65-75F.
    1.006 is very low.

13. I used beer calculus on hopville.

14. Homebrew42

Which is a nice free application, but it's not particularly sophisticated.

MrOH likes this.
  15. What do you recommend using? Thats kind of a significant difference to me.

16. I suggest you learn how to calculate approximate attenuations on your own. No calculator will know the difference between extracts, much less really be able to fiddle with yeast strains (and different pitches)...

Here's what happened, you got 75-80% attenuation on your extract (similar to what the calculator "guessed") and 100% on the honey.

MrOH likes this.
  17. One should use distilled water at 60F if you really want to see if the hydrometer is off or not.
    I have over 600 ppm dissolved solids in my water. This gave a higher reading than distilled water, can't remember how much, but it was more.

18. Is it only the fermentables that effects attenuation or does the strain of yeast also play a role?

19. GatorBeer

Yeast strain also plays a role.

20. So for my recipe could someone explain to me how they would have predicted FG based upon the fermentables and the yeast strain I chose?

21. HB42 already did above. Honey is 100% fermentable but the online calculator probably didnt take that into account and counted it just as fermentable as the malt extract which is less fermentable.

22. So your saying just use the online calculator and than take a little off the top if you use something like table sugar, maple sugar or honey?

23. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

1) Use a program that takes 100% fermentability of honey into account.
    -or-
    2) Build your own spreadsheet that does this. The basics concepts can be found in 'How to Brew', starting with this page...
    http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html
    One approach would be to assume that the yeast strain's advertized attenuation rate (middle of its range) will be good for the grain/extract part of your fermentables, but apply 100% attenuation to sugar, honey, and other simple sugar sources. You can certainly tweak more than that, but it's a start that would get you in the ballpark and avoid major surprises.

OddNotion likes this.
  24. Generally if I am using a low mash temp, highly attenuative yeast, or certain highly fermentable sugars then I will expand my acceptable expected range a little bit yes.

25. FGs are only estimates and tend to be conservatively high on most calculators. Based on recipe, that does not seem to be that far off.

Good example of a recipe that might have benefited by subbing in some Carapils or other Crystal

Threadjack: Anyone try the new dry Chico? (BRY-97 from Lallemand)

26. Actually I'm an idiot I used 8 oz of crystal 40

27. When I said sub, I meant REPLACE some of the honey or base extract with the crystal
    That looks more like a sturdy IPA : )

jlordi12 likes this.
  28. Not exactly what I was shooting for ABV wise. Oh well, I'm sure it will Hopefully it will taste fine.

29. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

In the fermenter as we speak/type....

30. The Chico strain is Siebel 96. On other forums some say it might be Pacman or the Anchor Ale strain.