1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 IPA

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jul 14, 2012.

1. kevinscott

kevinscott Member

I have tried it on tap twice. The first time I hated it. The second time I was able to finish the 8oz pour. Not something I plan on seeking out again.
  2. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Member

I wouldn't compare 120 to other DIPA. It's 5% to 9% more Abv than the beers you guys named. I understand why people don't like it's sweet and sryupy.
  3. Krumb

Krumb Member

Part truth, part sarcasm...my post, I mean. I see both sides of the coin here...I just don't consider it a IIPA, DIPA, etc.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Yea but DFH is known for rating their beers higher in abv than what they really are. DFH 120 says 18% abv, but its probably closer to 15% abv. But I see what your saying, for DFH 120 is not really like any other DIPA...
    Krumb likes this.
  5. StoneBrewFanatic

StoneBrewFanatic Member

How exactly would these falsely abv rated beers make it past the oh so particular TABC?
  6. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

Because it doesn't say the alcohol percentage on the label and they reported to the commission that it is actually around 15%[​IMG]
  7. StoneBrewFanatic

StoneBrewFanatic Member

8. RustyP

RustyP Member

After calling & visiting all the places I could think of in search of some cheaper 120, I caved and bought one of those $18 bottles...just one. The guy working the store last night (not one of the "beer guys") said they originally had it marked at $25 a bottle!, and that an hour earlier someone came in and bought a 6-pack. Good to know I'm not the only sucker :/
  9. Krumb

Krumb Member

what vintage is it? possible they're selling it at that markup due to it being an older bottle.
  10. RustyP

RustyP Member

Ohh...didn't even think about that. It's 2011.
  11. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Member

Not a big 120 fan but I saw that Addison Saucer is tapping a keg Sunday at 3 or so. You have to get a ticket though and those go on sale at 1 or something like that. Part of their BrewBBQ Sunday.

Also a keg of BBDPP from 512 goes on at 1.
  12. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

For those who are interested, the San Antonio Saucer is tapping 120 tomorrow at 6 PM. Personally, I'm more looking forward to finally trying Ranger Creek's San Antonio IPA.
    dumptruck81 likes this.
  13. RustyP

RustyP Member

The Flying Saucer on Lake Ray Hubbard is also tapping 120 tomorrow night, at 7pm. $3-4 for all other IPA pints.
  14. Grendle

Grendle Member

Flying Saucer in San Antonio is also tapping a keg of 120 Min tomorrow.
  15. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

IPA day I assume
  16. Grendle

Grendle Member

Due to National IPA Day they will have Ranger Creek IPA for $3, Brooklyn Blast snifters for $4 and a rare tapping of DFH 120 Min. Curious to see what they will charge for a snifter of this in San Antonio. Any idea anyone?
  17. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Member

Had 120 at Houston Saucer a year or so ago and it was $6 a snifter if I recall. Pretty reasonable.
  18. Grendle

Grendle Member

At $6 a snifter that is very reasonable. Hopefully they keep it at that same price bc the wife is watching my beer budget. :D Wife has been upset with all the beer purchases recently and accuses me of hoarding bc she can't fathom beer being cellared. :mad:
    BruceBruce likes this.
  19. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

I thought the term 'cellar' was just a euphemism for hording ;)
  20. Grendle

Grendle Member

True but she doesn't have to know that... :cool:
  21. hammondc

hammondc Member

I'd rather see WWS.
    TXhomebrewer and pwsoldier like this.
  22. Lutter

Lutter Member

FYI: BEK has a September release date on their website for bottles of 120.
    mattisloco likes this.
  23. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

For any Houstonians interested I just saw that Luckys pub in cypress just tapped 120. I predict a large crowd at petrol tomorrow, so I will be making my way out there this evening to try some.
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Member

Yup - thats exactly what I was told at Specs today: it will be in in September.
  25. Lutter

Lutter Member

I anticipate hellfire & brimstone at Spec's along with bottle limits and an immediate sellout if other beers' popularity is a gauge.

In 2009 I remember Spec's RR having this on the shelf for months. Sigh.
  26. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

Yeah, 120 was available pretty much year round when we got it, but back then craft beer wasnt as trendy as it is now.
  27. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

So the bottles will be at specs soon?
  28. Azzy

Azzy Member

Im sure that around the time specs gets it it, Petrol station will have it on tap as well. Had it there last year.
  29. champ103

champ103 Member

Ya, for $20 dollars a pint:rolleyes: Anyway that is what they use to charge for it, and they use to not sell half pints. You had to by the full pint:rolleyes:
  30. Lutter

Lutter Member

Oy yey. I believe the Draught House was selling 6oz pours for $4 the last time I ordered it there. I think that's a completely fair price for this particular beer given the ABV/price per bottle. I might keel over if I drank an entire 16oz portion, lol.
  31. champ103

champ103 Member

Absolutely, that is what I would expect. Petrol use to have a saying "beer is meant to be drank by the pint" so they never offered half of anything. I saw a guy get over served on pints of Sisyphus at Petrol once, it would have been funny if it was not so sad. The first time I saw that Petrol had 120, I made a visit. Saw the $20 price, laughed in the bartenders face and ordered a 60 min. They still serve pints of 120, but at least now you have an option for a $10 half pint.
  32. Lutter

Lutter Member

Sounds to me like that motto allows them to only have 1 type of glassware :)
    champ103 likes this.
  33. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

Petrol has been offering half pint pours of 120 (and other high ABV beers for a while now).

If you want to knock them, you can feel free to go to Hay Merchant and pay way more for beer. Petrol patrons won't mind a little extra space.
    PhatAtUT, jbeezification and kjkinsey like this.
  34. NotoriousHOP

NotoriousHOP Member

It was about a buck an ounce during IPA Day at Flying Saucer San Antonio so it was priced along similar lines to other places mentioned here. I think the claim was that it sold out in two minutes but that's what hype will get you. I saw a few people walk away from half full glasses so not everyone was on board the DFH 120 Min Train.
  35. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

I'm not saying DFH is the greatest thing ever, but it's far from a drain pour IMHO.

I feel it separates the wannabe beer geeks from the hardcore beer geeks.

I've never poured out a 120, even a 2007 that had so much sediment it looked like chocolate milk.

Now THAT was a challenge.

That and a full pint glass of DFH Port! :eek: lol
  36. kmello69

kmello69 Member

I didn't drain pour it, but I definitely had to close my eyes and force it down. Just me.
    pwsoldier likes this.
  37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

It's a beast for sure!

That said, I find it most annoying on tap. If it ages, the alcohol mellows. Contrary to what seems appropriate, I find it also gains much more hop character after 6 months. I think that is because the alcohol starts to take a back seat and you actually can taste hops.

It's super thick and sometimes over sweet, but it is what it is. I can always appreciate it. ;)
  38. NotoriousHOP

NotoriousHOP Member

I finished mine and happily accepted an almost full one from another person at our table. I did see a fair amount of wincing at other tables. I was waiting for someone to stand up and make an announcement that they would pay a dollar for any glass that was at least half full. A decade ago, that would have been me.
    DanzBorin likes this.
  39. Grendle

Grendle Member

I also had it at the Flying Saucer SA and although I finished mine, it did come off as a barley wine that I forced down.
  40. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

I recently visited the east coast and cringed when I saw a bottle of 120 in my father-in-law's beer fridge. I had to choke it down when he insisted on splitting it with me. I didn't give it a second glance when I saw it on shelves at retail stores.