1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

120 IPA

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jumpjet2k

jumpjet2k Aficionado (180) Texas Feb 18, 2009

Now, what you CAN do is go to Whole Foods Montrose tonight and get a pint of it for... $7.50, I think. Maybe $7.99. Somewhere around that.
  2. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

East 1st Grocery tweeted that there will be getting DFH 120 min bottles today.
  3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

They aren't served in pints when they last got a keg. You sure they are serving pints? At that price for a pint they'd probably lose money.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Picked up a 120 here today... if I had one complaint, the bottles are not priced very well at all. Very nice selection of locals though! I've never seen such a great selection of Rogness, in particular!

They also had a bunch of Saison du Buff and Stone TBA if anyone is still lookin' for those.

Beer dude said that a guy came in and bought almost the whole case of 120 @ 11.99 a bottle. There were 2 bottles left when I got there, so I grabbed one and left one for another BA.
  5. had 120 several years ago and it was horrible...had it on tap at Whole Foods in Reno recently and I had an epiphany.
  6. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

120 should be fairly easy to find all over the ATX in the next week or so. I think BEK got over 60 cases but I'm not sure.
  7. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Kind of laughing at this thread. people who want the secret places not to be revealed but most of the posts say that 120 sucks.

go figure what a dichotomy!!! whats a dichotomy anyway?
  8. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I heard this is only 15% this year. Is this true?
  9. Lutter

According to the TABC, their sample had 15.18% ABV... DFH claims 15-18. It's not indicated on the label.
  10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

For anyone interested in this horrible beer, :rolleyes: Sunrise MiniMart just tweeted that they have it in today as well.
    mattisloco likes this.
  11. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Just an FYI, if it seems like the bottles are more expensive than they were 3 years ago, it's because they are. Cost to retailers has gone up, which means that most retailers will be charging more than they have in the past in order to maintain their margins. The same thing happened to Boulevard's Limited series (BBQ, Saison Brett, RoR) this year.
  12. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 20, 2011

It was $10.99 at Canyon Golf Market in SA today. I think I was paying 9.99 a bottle last time I bought them in SA 2008 or so. I can deal with that.
  13. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

$12.99 at Sunrise today...I passed
  14. Lutter

Considering the price of a 12oz bottle was already high... that's disheartening. Especially when my dad just picked some up in South Florida @ $8.99.

The only good is that I'm sure it will stick on shelves longer! ;)
  15. Lutter

Well, I got 3 more at Whole Foods to round it out to 4 total. 2 to drink fresh and 2 to age. Onto the 2013 batch! ;)
  16. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I just picked up 4 bottles of this at the Fort Worth Central Market today. They were stashed behind the wine counter and u have to ask for it.
  17. 13DegN

13DegN Aficionado (140) Texas Mar 25, 2012

Late to read this but Specs- Brodie was 9.99 last Saturday and they had quite a few. Limit of 2.
  18. got it here at Dancing Bear Pub
  19. Stoneman22

Stoneman22 Disciple (60) Texas Dec 6, 2011

I called Central Market in SA today and the beer rep told me they didn't receive 120min due to high alcohol. What gives? Every CM in Texas is getting 120 except SA.
  20. Lutter

Misinformed. I believe grocery stores can sell up to 17% beer by state law... the beer is 15% ABV.
  21. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I thought the same thing, but I know of an HEB that carries Brewdog Tokyo which is 18.2%
  22. I went to The Dogfish Head Brewery on my vacation two months ago. I was excited to pick up a four pack for 35 dollars, knowing how hard it is to get my hands on them, even though I live in NJ. Soon as I come back to NJ 120 was everywhere it never usually is. My life is ironic.

Shared a 120 last night with my brother. First time I ever had it in a bottle. I've only had it on tap twice.
  23. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Did anyone pick it up at SPECS downtown? I didn't see it on the shelves and they told it me it was sold out. Are they going to start holding anything "rare" in the back now? Guess its my fault..
  24. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Which downtown? Smith St had half of a case in the back last night and I bought 3 bottles @11.54 each after tax.
  25. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I thought Smith st was the only downtown store, so you had to ask for it?
  26. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

I should be getting a case tomorrow at WFM Kirby and it'll be $8.99/bottle.

Stop by, ask for 120, and check out our gigantic new coolers.
  27. youkinorn

youkinorn Disciple (70) Texas Jan 31, 2009

Whole Foods at 6th and Lamar has it.
  28. EA728

EA728 Aficionado (245) Texas Jul 17, 2010

College Station got it, picked up a bottle.
  29. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Couldn't agree more...one and done. This is one of those beers that I don't think I will ever understand the appeal. I'm presently attempting to force the last 1/3 down. Rough only begins to describe this beer....
  30. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

I don't think there's a limit on the ABV of beer with the kind of off-premise licence Central Market has (probably BF or BE), and if other CMs are selling it, it sounds like maybe another misinformed (or just plain making stuff up) employee. As far as I know the 17% rule only applies to on-premise beer/wine licences.
  31. pwsoldier

Not sure about other locations, but the CM in San Antonio can't carry 17%+ beers because they have an in-store cafe. They used to be able to carry those beers, but their licensing has changed. This is why they weren't able to sell Uncle Jacob's. Lutter is right though, this shouldn't be an issue with 120 because it's 15% abv. Also, I believe Central Market can carry any beer that HEB does (and then some, I'm sure), and I know for a fact that some HEBs are getting shipments of 120 this week.
  32. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

Places like Central Market and WFM have BG licensing:
    Permit authorizes the holder to sell for consumption on or off the premises where sold but not for resale, beer, ale, malt liquor and wine not more than 14% or 17% (depending on type of local option election). Requires adequate seating area for customers.

CHAPTER 25. WINE AND BEER RETAILER'S PERMIT (BG/V/Y)
    Sec. 25.09. POSSESSION OF CERTAIN BEVERAGES PROHIBITED.
    (a) Except as provided by this section, a wine and beer retailer's permittee or an officer of the permittee may not possess distilled spirits or liquor containing alcohol in excess of 17 percent by volume on the licensed premises.

The big issue with places carrying high ABV beers is that things like Brew Dog Tokyo are available to order in their systems, so a lot of buyers assume if it's available to order, then it must be legal to sell.

If you ever see anything over 17% at a retail outlet that does not have the proper license, it's only out of ignorance of the employee/employee's boss that it's there (unless it's for cooking, as mentioned in Sec 25.09.b). Could you argue that people cook with Tokyo? Probably, as long as you marketed it as such (kept it next to the sherries).

The only reason grocery stores are getting 120 this time around is because, as many of you have mentioned, the ABV is only ~15%.
  33. Lutter

I think the bottom line is that the Central Market employee is misinformed. Both Central Market AND Whole Foods have 120 in Austin.
  34. AlonCicerone

AlonCicerone Zealot (90) Texas Jan 25, 2011

I'm guessing it was actually a UPC issue, there are 2 UPC's for 120 min in the HEB/CM system, with different costs. If shipping cost & receiving cost don't match, the product gets kicked out. This issue HAS NOW BEEN FIXED at Alon Market. We have product in stock.
  35. pwsoldier

120 is now available at both the Gabriel's Superstore in SATX and the San Marcos store. $10.44 cash/debit, limit 2 per customer at the SA location.
  36. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

That makes sense if they're serving beer in the cafe. Glad I snagged that bottle of Fort a few years ago. That one's definitely over 17%.
  37. Jmick28

Jmick28 Aficionado (195) Arizona Feb 8, 2012

i just got 120 dfh in austin
  38. HEB on I10-W in SA has it for $9.95, they're in a case with the wines and whatnot.
  39. pwsoldier

That's what I was told by BEK. That delay actually caused our shipment to be delayed as well because they wanted to make sure that HEB/CM got their allotments. Not sure why the CM beer guy thought it was an abv issue.
  40. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (385) Texas Jul 26, 2012

CM Lovers has it. $9.99, limit 2. 20% of more than $25 in beer