120 IPA

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mcatalano

mcatalano Zealot (90) Texas Dec 6, 2011 Verified

HEB Pearland has it, just have to ask for it.

2. Tried it on tap in San Francisco 2 months ago. Was good, but was nothing close to the hop bomb I was expecting. Definitely decent but not necessarily worthy of the massive hype it's given. I would really love to try a fresh bottle of it sometime, perhaps the keg I tried was already past its hop prime.

3. PaulUH

PaulUH Savant (265) Texas Aug 14, 2012

thanks got mine from there yesterday

4. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (495) Texas Nov 21, 2008 Verified

I though this was a particularly good batch. Enjoyed one added one to the 120 min collection.

5. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

So, I'm hesitant to get a bottle, cause frankly Dogfish Head always disappoints me. Is it rare to get a bottle of this? Do people trade for it?

6. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

It used to be easy to get. Then they stopped sending it to TX. Now they started again. If they keep shipping it, no, it'll be fairly common.

I used to buy one a year and age it to drink. I've never really missed it though.

7. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I saw 2 cases last night at a little shoebox Twin's by my house that never gets anything good. Think there's a lot more in the state than a lot of people are guessing. I admit I was one of the people scrambling to find a bottle initially but then Spec's RR got 7 cases...and then I actually tried it. Not my flavor...I'll let other BA's enjoy this one but the point is there's a shit ton around town. All the DFH limited run stuff seems to be showing up in greater numbers this year or actually showing up at all. I'm looking forward to Bitches Brew myself....

8. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Yep. It was on a very tight leash while HEB scrambled to figure out the new pricing, but there were plenty of leftovers once they got their share. I've received a total of 7 cases and may get more tomorrow.

9. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (510) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

I split a bottle a couple nights ago with the GF. We both thought it was good, the carb is very surprising and nice.

Would I seek it out, no. If it was on the shelf I'd try it again.

10. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (240) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Total BS bc I bought mine at HEB Alon ($9.95) and just saw it yesterday at the HEB DeZavala for $10.75. That's the highest I've seen it but that manager just got into carrying craft beer so usually prices them higher.

11. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (355) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011 Verified

The manager of a chain generally has zero say in what items are priced at, unless items are on sale at the store level.

12. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Correct. HEB's pricing should be the same across the board. I'm not sure why there would be a price difference between two locations, but it has nothing to do with the beer manager.

Though I do miss the days when I could buy SA Utopia and Life & Limb at the De Zavala HEB.

13. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Their cost may be the same across the board but individual HEB's absolutely can sell items at different prices depending on the store. The HEB at Slaughter/Escarpment in Austin has very nice beer dept but the prices there are higher than Central Market and other nearby HEB's.( Not just on beer, but diapers are quite a bit more there as well)

14. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I'm not sure what y'all think about it but this batch was delicious. Best 120 I've had!

BruceBruce likes this.
  15. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (455) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Chiming in to agree, was a great batch!

16. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (355) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011 Verified

This could be relative to cost of business due to location, rent, etc. Also, although owned and operated by HEB, Central Market is an entirely different entity, so comparing prices between HEB and Central Market isn't a fair assessment. Look at Central Market's crazy beer discounts and sales that HEBs don't do, for a good example. Central Market's goal is to directly compete with Whole Foods, not to cannibalize other HEBs.

I can say with confidence that the store or department manager has zero say in what items are priced at, unless, as previously mentioned, the items are put on sale at the store level (due to being long on, going out of date soon, good deals from distro not available in other areas, etc.).

pwsoldier likes this.
  17. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (510) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

It really works out to $10 on this or $15 on Bitches. Bitches every time guys

champ103 and gtermi like this.
  18. gtermi

gtermi Champion (795) Texas Apr 21, 2010 Subscriber

I had this same problem today.. I chose Bitches

19. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Yeah after a certain point you just choose the beer, i know what time the bitch comes home everyday lol

20. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Advocate (500) Texas Aug 16, 2012 Verified

Picked up 2 bottles at the liquor store next to Rockwell Tavern in Cypress, TX for 9.99 each. Plenty more on the shelves if you're in the area.

21. Ford

Ford Advocate (560) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified Subscriber

They have some at the Spec's in League City at I45 and FM 518... the one right next to the Kroger.. it's one of their worst beer stores in the city... they have a small paper sign above the shelved beers that says they have it... two bottle limit. I just picked up another bottle while there.

If you are into it they also have some ACE Pumpkin Cider.. which I feel is outstanding. They had three six packs in the back I was told. Might have to ask if you don't see it.

22. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (425) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Its far from the worst beer stores in the city, however it is one of the worst specs in the city. The beer guy tries but they really don't know much about beer.

23. Ford

Ford Advocate (560) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified Subscriber

Good point.. I meant to say worst SPEC's in the city..... they certainly have better beers than the normal moe and joe liquor store.... but for a Spec's they have a very small selection...

24. hammondc

hammondc Aficionado (150) Texas Mar 15, 2008

25+ bottles at HEB Stone Oak in San Antonio.

[​IMG]

25. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

saw a case at Specs in front of Hay Merchant