1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

13th Annual Bistro Double IPA Festival

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BlakeSmith, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Yeah, it's hard living this beer nerd lifestyle with little ones sometimes. Sacrifices. We've taken our son to one little festival up in Portland when we were visiting and he's been to various pubs and breweries but we just have to avoid the big events these days.
  2. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

It could be helpful to those who don't know where to look, but I think the majority of people searching for Younger...in the Bay Area at least...know the spots that get it.
  3. Probably true.
  4. I did, Here.
    drgarage likes this.
  5. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (730) California Nov 23, 2008

They block off almost an entire block and there is always room towards the band and the port-o-potties (which are pretty clean). I don't recall seeing many kids at the events, but I have seen a few. It's one of those things where the parents need to mind the lil ones. Last year Vinnie (yes that Vinnie) and Natalie came to the event and partook in the festivities. He wanted to taste the Pliny and see how it translated. Cool, huh? Supposedly almost 80 beers are supposed to be present but the number is unknown until the morning of. It does great crowded but the atmosphere is mellow. And they have tri-tip sandos and frickles. Frickles! And the Sierra Nevada love machine was there last year too. Can't beat that. Well mayble Frickles can.
  6. Anita05

Anita05 Aficionado (125) California Dec 30, 2009

Had Deuce at Beer Revolution just today.
    afrokaze likes this.
  7. Anita05

Anita05 Aficionado (125) California Dec 30, 2009

I believe it's an over 21 years of age crowd inside the premises, but you may be able to snag a table in the outside seating area. I would discourage it. There's too many people in a small area drinking high abv beer.
  8. Rampage1

Rampage1 Aficionado (175) Arizona Mar 10, 2011

Thank you for the info. Should be there on Saturday.
  9. DosMaster

DosMaster Aspirant (40) Sweden Jul 7, 2012

Does anybody know if the "deep fried pickels" guy will be there this year too?
    I love them!
  10. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

I think he's pretty much stardard equipment at these fests.
    DosMaster likes this.
  11. CenCalMario

DIPA 1st Place ---- Roustabout Societe!!!

My boy Doug on site to take the 1st Place!!
  12. That was a good beer. I dont think I had a bad beer at all yesterday. Drakes Hopacalypse Black Label was the standout for me. Also really liked Newports 'We are 138' and 'The Kook' from Pizza Port.
    This fest is getting more popular. Actually a line to get in when it opened that went down the block. Lots of first timers there. Not complaining , its good to see more people come out for beer week!
  13. Congratulations to Knee Deep for their medal and Auburn Ale House for their Peoples Choice! Great local friends :)
    flexabull likes this.
  14. CenCalMario

The 13th Double IPA fest winners are:

Gold- Society The Roustabout
    Silver- Firestone Walker Double Jack
    Bronze- Russian River Pliny The Elder
    People's choice- Kern River Citra

2nd Triple IPA fest winners:
    Gold - Russian River Pliny the Younger
    Silver- Boneyard Notorious
    Bronze- Knee Deep Simtra
    People's Choice- Auburn ZZHop
    Beerandraiderfan and flexabull like this.
  15. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

Can anyone who has the beer list please post it? I was there yesterday but lost mine and I can't find it with Google.
  16. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Congratulations to the winners. I was pouring Societe's Roustabout all day long and new it would do well.

Poorman's IIPA from Pizza Port Carlsbad was a big winner in my eyes.
    jtmartino likes this.
  17. This year's list actually looks legit.

In recent years, there's been some "you're a cool bro and friend" gold medals handed out I suspect.
    jtmartino likes this.
  18. I'm impressed and jealous that they had Boneyard Notorious.
  19. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Yeah I usually look at the People's Choice award before I look at the judges' picks. I always thought that the judges just picked the most bitter beer they could find since their palates were all blown out from tasting IPAs all day. That's the only explanation for beers like Hoptologist being picked (unless it's a "bro" medal.)
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  20. CenCalMario

Top beers for me were (no particular order):
    The Kook, Roustabout, Hopocalypse Black Label, Enjoy By, Notorious, Therapist, Hop Ninja, Simtra, The Blend, Royalty, Nod n Smile, ZZ Hop...

My favorite of the day:
    Even ahead of Roustabout, was Fat Head's JuJu.... Amazing! I told everyone with us to try it as it was going to go like wild fire once people had it, and it did! Sad there was only a 5 gallon of it, because I drank more than my fair share!

Honorable Mentions:
    Poormans Double and Flying Dog's Imperial Single Hop Galaxy.

Some people liked Beltane's The Frog That Ate The World... and Berryessa's Double Tap but they underwhelmed me...

Wish I tried: Green Bullet 9th, don't know if it was good or not, but I was wanting to try it and forgot.
  21. Green Bullet was really good.
    Fat Heads make great IPAs. Ive had them before at other Bistro events. A couple people in my group loved JuJu because I told them to get it.
    Nod n Smile was really effn good too.