1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

13th Annual Real Ale fest at BAR in NH, CT

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by bigedct, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Anyone heard whats going to be on cask on Sunday? What is everyone hoping to see?
  2. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Im hoping for no BAR beers on cask, that would be a waste....CHEERS
  3. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

So that's a pretty shitty thing to say.

Why would it be a waste for BAR to have their own beers on cask at their own festival under their own roof?

No one's going to force you to drink anything that you don't want to.

CHEERS
  4. seplo

IMO, all their beers are terrible and its not a lack of trying them. I've been there on many occasions and i am far from impressed by the beer that comes out of there. If i do go to BAR its for the bacon patoto pizza and to see what real beer they have on tap.
    I dont know if you read YBN(Yankee Brew News) but im tired of seeing them kiss Jeff Browning's ass like he's some great brewer when he's clearly average at best. I'm not taking away the events he sets up and everything else. I'm fine with that. IMO BAR beer is a small step up from SBC and thats just sad...CHEERS
    smutty33 likes this.
  5. Knifestyles

To each their own, but I really don't think it's fair to simply dismiss their beers as a waste. BAR's beers obviously aren't intended for the kind of beer nerd who's already knee-deep in overly exaggerated recipes and more esoteric styles. Jeff does what he does.....every brewer should have the freedom to express themselves however they see fit. You may not enjoy what they brew, but it's obvious that plenty of other people do (evidenced by the fact that they've continued their brewing practices for quite some time now and that people actually do drink their beers).

I can't really comment on the Yankee Brew News concerns, but I'm sure he is receiving their attention for a reason. If I were you, I would just continue to ignore their offerings as you've likely been doing. I'm sure it won't hurt anyone to have more beer available for other people to enjoy.

CHEERS
    Dizbro21 and woosterbill like this.
  6. seplo

Hey man, if its a stepping stone for the BMC person to get into craft beer than great but just dont stop at BAR beer cuz as you know there is way better beer out there.As far as waste, i think casking their beer is a waste. Jeff doing what he does is fine but to me he's a glorified homebrewer, thats all. His beers are bland and have very little flavor to me.
    I really hope youre a BAR beer lover and not a lurker cuz then i just wasted this time in my life for no reason. But thats easy to find out
  7. Knifestyles

I'm not quite sure what this sentence even means, but I'll leave it at this:

I try to maintain a universal respect for craft brewers regardless of whether I enjoy their beers or not. As long as they're continuing to advance the conversation and maintain the relevance of craft beer then that easily legitimizes them despite any objective criticism. Long before I dove into the craft beer world BAR was doing their thing which very few were at the time. Again, you may not enjoy their beers, but plenty of people do.

I look forward to your next off-hand use of the word "waste".

EDIT: CHEERS
    woosterbill likes this.
  8. seplo

Yep, you are a lurker. You definitly make a lot of condesending comments man and try to correct ppl ALL the time, hence your "CHEERS" at the end of you posts back to me trying to poke fun. Little do you know i have no respect for lurkers. Actually i have more respect for a Bud Light Lime drinker. See you at the NEBCo tap take-over
    CHEERS
    Knifestyles likes this.
  9. seplo

Dude i seen some of your post, You didnt have to post on my comment but you did, anything a BA says that you dont like you make a condesending comment. If you dont want a BA to do the same then stop lurking, it pathetic.

I cant wait till your next lurking post, I can guarantee it will be before i use a waste comment
  10. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (280) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

Ed the only one I know of for sure is Sixpoint Spice of Life Nelson.
  11. CTBeerPope

Will you guys be hugging it out Tuesday night??? Haha
    seplo likes this.
  12. seplo

Lol, by the way is there anymore NEBCo PM at the store you use to be at?
  13. CTBeerPope

No there's not. I'll be beer manager at the store near mike soon tho. Pm me.
  14. seplo

cool, will do
  15. bigedct

I'm sensing a lot of hostility here! Lol! Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and how they choose to express it. Personally, I haven't had BAR beer since I couldn't tell you. But if I had to choose btw BAR beer and another new Brooklyn, DFH or Harpoon offering......
  16. bigedct

Can't wait. This is turning into one of my favorite events.
    CTBeerPope likes this.
  17. bigedct

Started last years event with Brooklyn Blast. Excited to start this year. I missed Zok's sour last year, home brew or not, he makes some good shit.
  18. bigedct

Btw, love the avatar. I have the dash mount statue!!!
  19. seplo

Nice...CHEERS man
  20. I think the stout at BAR is pretty good, actually. It's pretty by-the-book but perfectly enjoyable. None of their other beers do much for me.
  21. The only thing I know for sure is that almost if not all CT breweries will be represented. Dock Street will be attending for the 1st time in a while and many of the usual suspects of course. It is probably my favorite CT event and there are always some very interesting beers.
    I wont delve into the tiff about who is a better poster etc on BA, but will say that BAR has the one of if not the oldest continuous brewing permit in CT. Jeff is an English style brewer and so he is often making milds and less aggressive beers. It is fine for some to like and some to not. See you on Sunday!
  22. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I think Damn Good Stout is a pretty good American stout.
  23. IMHO Jeff Browning is an excellent English style brewer. We frequent BAR for it's fine beers as well for the excellent pizza. The Damn good stout is just that and the various seasonals he brings out are excellent also. The recent Damn Good Espresso stout, barleywine and the winter Vixen ale are examples. Besides being a fine brewer he's an outstanding member of the beer community. He organizes frequent fundraisers and actively promotes the new Haven area beer community. I'm looking forward to drinking some of his cask ales tomorrow.
  24. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

I'm looking for goods from Two Roads, Willimantic, New England, Cambridge, & Dock Street, that I know of.

And then there are always a few others whose names I can't remember but evil Spock will be all up in my grill about...
  25. bigedct

Maybe NEBCO's FBD or Cherry vanilla IST?!? Please!
  26. Sorry they are saving that for the takeover
  27. bigedct

A guy could dream can't he?!
  28. Total agreement. I don't think their beers are bad - I simply am not a fan of basic English-style beers, and that's what BAR has. But, everything there is completely drinkable, which is a hell of a lot more than some brewpubs can say. Will I ever go there in search of a BAR beer? No, but I'm happy to drink it when it's put in front of me. It's just beer, guys.

Cheers.
    hogansct, ILOVESTOUTS and Knifestyles like this.
  29. Go to BAR for pies... not brews.
  30. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Best of show, hands down...
    Cambridge House Bitter Jack.

Also of the really goddamn good...
    New England Gold Stock Ale, Dock Street whateverthatwasScottybrought, Tullycross Brown Ale & IPA, & Sebago Black IPA.
  31. Another excellent fest organized by Jeff Browning. Quite a few tasty beers to be had, and good times with good folks. The Dock Street beer was great, a Belgian Double IPA or something, I also liked BAR 1000lb gorilla barleywine and Igor Rye Imp Stout from Two Roads.

Slander's post makes me wonder why they dont have any sort of voting for best of show, brewer's choice, drinker's choice etc. Could add a fun twist to the event.
  32. bigedct

Great time yesterday. A little crowded, but it didn't stop my beer consumption. I was impressed with the Riverhorse coffee oatmeal milk stout. The vanilla dirty penny was good for a second pull.

A few thoughts...
    Did anyone notice City Steam pouring a standard pressurized keg?
    I was surprised by the number of brewers that brought standard beers in a firkin. No extra hop, coffes, vanilla, hot pepper. Just their base beer.
  33. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

For future reference, how does one get tickets for this? It seems to be the most mysterious, under-the-radar beer event ever. (As it turned out I couldn't go this year anyway, but next year...)
  34. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I have seen tix. being sold at local beer bars,Prime,Mikro,Dive.....etc.

Cheers
  35. Errto

Really? Someone earlier in the thread said they went on sale right after Thanksgiving. I was definitely at Prime a few times in December and didn't see anything - you have to know to ask I guess?
  36. bigedct

I believe Delaney's also sells them.
  37. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Yeah,I notice they really don't advertise this.I believe I heard something about how organizers like it that way,as the event always sells out.Room is very limited.

Next time your at Prime talk to Larry or Dave.

Cheers
  38. Errto

Will do. Am planning to be at the NEBCo thing tomorrow, hopefully before it gets too crazy. I don't think I know Dave, though. Sounds like maybe I should :)
    smutty33 likes this.
  39. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

The only place I saw this advertised was on Mikro's FB page and at that point he VIP tickets were gone
  40. Had tickets at neb until 2 weeks ago.