14 Gallon Heated and Cooled Conical

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ElPadrone, Apr 10, 2012.

1. ElPadrone

ElPadrone Aficionado (105) Texas Oct 20, 2009

2. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Savant (315) California Dec 10, 2011

A friend of mine has one and loves it. Ambient temps in his garage aren't bad though, as he lives near the coast. Make sure you check cooling capacity vs. your ambient temps in the summer to make sure the unit can deal with the differential. Another option and route I'm going is I picked up an older B3 12gal conical and I'm going to retrofit the new domed lid, and then toss the whole thing in an upright freezer. It's much warmer where I live and a full freezer has greater cooling capacity. 2 stage controller w/ a heater wrapped around it as well. Just dying to start using this thing!

3. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

For that price, look at a Brewhemoth conical. http://brewhemoth.com/catalog/4

It's a 26 gal conical, and you can get the immersion coil for it. The price of the 14 gal you have there, you can buy two of these! Can upgrade with triclover, etc. Just a different option.

Also, the Stout Conicals can fit in the upright freezer, like MacNCheese is talking about. They are also alot cheaper. Check out: http://conical-fermenter.com/

4. ElPadrone

Great info!! Thanks

5. MacNCheese

Has anyone used the Brewhemoth? How on earth are those legs attached? Looks like bolts coming from the fermenter w/ butterfly nuts. That doesn't seem very sturdy, depending on how those bolts are attached to the body of the conical.

6. dfess1

There's a thread over in the equipment/sanitation forum on HBT, something like 350+ replies. People are pretty happy with them. Again, i'm not saying it's pretty, but it makes beer. Would I showcase it in a brewpub? Probably not. Would I care as a homebrewer, not so much.

7. MacNCheese

Nevermind, found a host of info on a different website. Very interesting stuff!

8. Naugled

Naugled Advocate (550) New York Sep 25, 2007 Verified

I think I'm missing something. I understand how this thing heats but how does it cool? It looks like there are just a couple of fans on the side. Anyone know?

9. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

For almost two thousand American dollars that thing better service my unit too :eek:.

meltroha likes this.
  10. The morebeer heated/cooled conicals work with a dual temp controller and a TEC unit, that can cool and heat, depending on which direction the electric current is flowing across it. The fans remove heat when its cooling, and bring warmer ambient air across the cool side when its heating. Google thermoelectric chiller or peltier cooler for more info.

I have the brewhemoth, works great, except the cone isnt tall enough or has an acute enough angle for proper trub/yeast dumping. It kinda works, but not as well as it should.

The cost went up about 40% (or so) this winter, so the big value proposition discussion shifted dramatically to stouts, but i think they just raised their prices very recently as well.

Naugled likes this.
  11. IIf you are going to get one of the morebeer heated/cooled conicals...now is the time to do it. Theyre 10% off thru april. Saw that on homebrewfinds.com twitter feed today.

12. Naugled

Naugled Advocate (550) New York Sep 25, 2007 Verified

Thanks JC, I'm somewhat familiar with TEC's. I'm surprised it has enough cooling capacity for 14 gal. I didn't think TEC's were very efficient or powerful.

13. TECs don't have nearly the cooling capacity of compressor based refrig, but at this scale (and relatively tiny footprint), it works pretty effectively. Don't expect too much of a delta from ambient, though. while morebeer quotes 40-55F from ambient for their 'ultimate' conical, the regular one can go from 25-33F. I'd love to hear anyone's experience w/ the ultimate conical...you would be able to cold crash/lager with those quoted deltas from ambient.

we've set up a pretty oversized TEC powered cooler on 20 gallon batches with an uninsulated brewhemoth w/ stainless immersion coil. works great to hold temps very steady/prevents spiking during active fermentation, but quick drops in temps, lagering and cold crashing ain't happening. Best we were able to get was ~20F from ambient, but its running constantly at this type of delta. we're moving to the glycol reservoir in a chest freezer (this weekend!) to be able to cold crash.

14. for example, here's a snapshot of temps (ambient, cooling liquid in the system, and temps at the top and bottom of the fermenter) during active fermentation of a 1.064OG beer with wlp001. time scale is ~36hrs. set point was 68F from a thermocouple at about 1/3 way up the fermenter from the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Naugled likes this.
  15. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Advocate (520) Texas Nov 21, 2008 Verified

If you are into homebrewing enough to drop $1700+ on this single fermentor are you going to be satisfied with one? If your fermenting more than one batch at any given time you need more. Otherwise you have one batch in this fermentor and others are still in carboys in the fridge. It's a sweet looking toy though - nice for babysitting a single 10 gallon batch.

mschofield and MrOH like this.
  16. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (855) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

Every once in a while, I think about splurging on the 7.5 gallon version MoreBeer Heated/Cooled. Anyone have one or seen one in action? I'm particulary interested in how tight a temperature range can be maintained. TIA!

17. ElPadrone

Very True but 2 things about my thread, I am not buying it, it will be a gift from my old lady and I normally brew 5 gallon batches but there is such little different in the price why not go 14 gallon. I do see what you mean about babysitting only 5-10 gallon for so long. I still have several ferm fridges I will use, this will just take my brewing to the next level!! Thanks

18. Fuzzy715

Fuzzy715 Initiate (15) Mar 16, 2013

Is the immersion cooler only used for cooling this down after you transfer it from the brew kettle? And you then I am assuming you must hook a garden hose to this unit? Some clarification of this unit would be helpful. Thanks

19. dfess1

i have absolutely no idea. i'm assuming you'd have some kind of glycol chiller recircing through the cooling coil. I do not own one of these. I'd check out the thread over at HBT. Alot of different setups and ideas going on there.