$15 minimum to ship 1 Cigar City Snifter to Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by BrownAleMale, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Advocate (635) Wisconsin Dec 14, 2011 Verified

Was gonna purchase a Cigar City snifter online from their website and after forcing me to make an account to buy said item, it shows a price range of $15-$95 to ship 1 glass! Ups ground was $15! Now my son lives in Florida and I send him stuff all the time with compriable weight or heavier and it is about a third the cost. Is this normal for websites of breweries to sculp you on shipping like they were a member of ebay? Needless to say, I passed it up.

2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Usually it's not worth it to buy an item or two from a brewery website due to the shipping costs. I don't blame you for passing it up.

3. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Advocate (690) Illinois Feb 8, 2010 Verified

This is standard. Remember: they're also charging you for their packing material and the labor to have one of their employees process the order and box it up for you. Yes, if you can't put several things in that $15 box, it's definitely not worth it.

With retail giants like Amazon shipping often for free, it's easy to forget small businesses like craft breweries don't have the luxury of offering such cheap S&H.

Gonzoillini and BrownAleMale like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I ordered $18 worth of stuff from Founders (two glasses, a bottle opener and a bumper sticker) and the shipping to Florida was ~$17. So no, this isn't a unique experience. Weird part was I got an email a couple days later saying they over charged me $1.82 on shipping and were issuing a refund, but I still think it was pretty high for the weight/size of the box.

I've just come to accept if I order something from a brewery the S&H is going to be about the same cost as the merchandise I buy.

5. BrownAleMale

Just kind of shocked. I still think it is on the high side because I just went to Stones website and they only cost $7 for the same type of shipping from Cali. I just ordered some glasses from them instead. I just really wanted the Cigar City snifter because I am also a cigar geek along with being a beer geek and it seemed to fit my personality.

6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I bought one last week at the brewery and then left it at Peg's Cantina in Gulfport the next day...drunk. When Eric and Doug drive up to the Keweenaw to visit me I will have them drop it off your place in Wisco...:)

BrownAleMale likes this.
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

In fact, I traded someone a BA Plead the Fifth and a Hinterland BB Dopplebock for a CCB Moat Water while I was down there...funny how small of a world it is.

8. Which one were you looking for? I may be able to help you out.

9. why I don't own the CBS sniffer

10. BrownAleMale

Im just looking for the one that has the cigar and says Cigar City lol not sure what any others look like.

11. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Stone is a bad example in comparing with other breweries. They have 4 "Company Stores" along with the World Beer garden. Part of their business model is the selling of merchandise (they have somewhere close to 200 items in their online store).
    While many breweries seem to look at selling merchandise online is something they HAVE to do, Stone WANTS to.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  12. Sad.. we flew to the moon over 40 years ago. And yet brewers still can't figure out how to put a glass in a box and ship it for less than the price of the glass. The cigar city snifter is nice, but the white ink logo resembles a turd anyways. Oh well.

WassailWilly likes this.
  13. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Advocate (500) Florida Nov 16, 2005

Just ask yourself do you want an intact glass or a broken glass. Then pony up the $15 or choose not to. In the case you don't, get yourself a Leinie's glass (classic) or a SAPP (volumetrically brilliant) and revel in the beauty of all that is beer (and cigars)

14. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Advocate (500) Florida Nov 16, 2005

I was intrigued by your comment of how white ink could resemble a turd, so I googled the CC Snifter, and, with a dark beer in place, your comment probably has great merit, however to me, as the photo was sans brew, it appeared to be more like a homemade rowboat, with a solid aft seat and a festive bow seat.

15. ^I concur. I have previously described it as a turd canoe. They really should make it look more like a cigar imo. They do have a lot off good beers so it seems like they're only hurting themselves.

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Cigar City should make a weasel poop coffee beer to go in that snifter.