1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

"15 Things Craft Beer Fans Think but Nobody Says"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Zhiguli, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

http://firstwefeast.com/drink/15-th...r-might-be-contract-brewed-three-states-away/

Some interesting things there. Most we've discussed. Just praying noone posted this yet (cannot find it).

2. most of those are true for me. Another would be "You know, this PBR isn't SO bad, I'll pound 12 of these. Why not?"

ijaap, gir02021 and jRocco2021 like this.
  3. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

I love this article.

There were a few left out for sure but I think it is pretty well covered.

4. They can try to put down the 'herd mentality' of BA if they like, but all of these things do get said around here.

5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I think most of these ARE things we say regularly, at least around here. But what do I know - I'm just part of a herd. :)

6. Zhiguli

it's food for thought even though some of it is a bit too bombastic

7. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

Bombastic maybe, but true in so many ways. They missed the biggest one but I fear if I post it I might offend so I will restrain myself

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  8. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Others beat me to the punch, but I'm pretty sure I've heard all of those things discussed on here. Solid recap of alot of this website, it should be mandatory reading for new members

LMT likes this.
  9. Zhiguli

It's not true anyway, I totally have a girlfriend

10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Ugh, talk about some lazy writing. Beer geeks don't all spend time hunting whales, and saying that makes you an idiot. Some of the posts make good points, but a few of them are that kind of lazy, stereotype-ridden bullshit that anyone with their head screwed on right knows isn't actually true.

Kelp, Etan, WolvAlerine and 8 others like this.
  11. True. I'd only add that a large number of craft beer fans never think such things. ;)

TongoRad likes this.
  12. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

The race one doesn't get attempted much anymore.

TongoRad likes this.
  13. Ugh, you're right about that, and thank goodness.

hardy008 likes this.
  14. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't share your gratitude. Political and social issues affect the beer world and should be discussed. You just can't discuss them here because your words will turn to vapor.

15. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

I get what you're saying but I feel like you're taking it a little too personally. For a long time my brother in law and I were the only ones in our group of friends who were really into craft beer. Most of our close friends are starting to really catch the fever now (which is awesome btw) but one in particular is "that guy". He seems much more concerned about trying the rarest, hardest to find beers so he can tell everyone he meets and look cool, meanwhile he's pretty much completely clueless. The point is, I guarantee he is much "louder" than any of the rest of us and therefore leaving a greater impression of what a beer nerd looks like and perpetuating the stereotypes. I've also seen countless postings on here where people are complaining about the same behavior and how things seem to be trending in this direction.

16. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

I liked # 6
    "But has that likeminded part gotten out of control? These sites have spawned a legions of militant beer geeks who all talk the same, all lionize the same beers, and all obsess over high ABVs and extreme hops. Let's be honest: The user-generated scores and commentary below each beer on Beer Advocate are nothing more than nerdier, more niche Yelp reviews."

:D Hahahahahahaha sooooo true!!!!!

Beerandraiderfan and Norica like this.
  17. I think this blog article or whatever you want to call it is good. It brings up points that may have been/ will be brought up on BA but when I read forums that are constantly posted like "the most overrated brewery", "after heady where do I go", or "What's so bad about being a beer snob?" I tend to think that most BA's still don't get it.

surfcaster and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  18. Of course they should be discussed, and I'd truly welcome listening in on that discussion. I'd just prefer it come from those who fundamentally understand the cultural and societal reasons of why there is a seeming disconnect, and what if anything can be done to lead to more integration, rather than what I am sure is to be a bunch of speculation from those on the other side of the fence.

19. The only thing nerdier than overanalyzing beer is overanalyzing people who over analyze beer! At least I am a beer nerd and not a beer nerd...um nerd! This site and the people on it are great. The revolution of better beer is fueled by beer advocates. Without much advertising or fanfare better beer has really taken off. I don't think the New York Times reviewing it is a good thing, one persons opinion of a beer would not be a fair take on any beer. What happens on this site, many people reviewing and talking about a beer, is the only way to objectively judge a beer. We don't need a beer tsar who writes for a paper that is owned by big business to tell us about beer. The craft beer market has done just fine thus far without it.

almostjay, Zhiguli and AmitC like this.
  20. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i like #10. guess it's ok to bring up, and on topic now? this has been brought up in threads before but always deleted

21. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

I totally agree. Way to much generalization to define something. Is anything cited in the article? and when it is it is only the side that proves the point given. Ex. Orval, Anchor Steam, and London Pride do one or a few beers right and have been around forever...What about the biggest American craft brewers doing TONS of styles? Stone, DFH, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada etc etc.

22. stupac2

Yeah but who cares about one random guy out of a group? The author didn't say "sometimes a few people do this" he said everyone. That makes him a moron.

Rekrule likes this.
  23. touchy subject, but very few of my non white friends give two shits about craft beer, doesn't even begin to seem interesting to them, all from various economic backgrounds, cultures, and nations. Most of the non white people i know that do drink and are successful enough to have the expendable income to enjoy craft beer spend it on wine or liquor. thats been my experience in all four corners of the country working in retail. theres a lot further we could go into this but this is not the thread to do so.

24. To quote from the authors: "Disproportionately, though, the breathless coverage centers on white whales:" and "For many drinkers, the endless hype conditions a drooling, Pavlovian response...."

How did you arrive at your definitive conclusion that the authors are implicating "everyone?"

25. nickfl

nickfl Champion (770) Florida Mar 7, 2006

Holy shit, too much truth in that article.... somebody find this guy and threaten to break his legs for airing our dirty laundry.

26. Zhiguli

he needs to stfu with the pliny mentions though. making fun of pliny fanboys is passé

27. dan027

The article was "15 things craft beer fans think but nobody says". People bring this topic up all of the time on the boards here. It appears craft beer fans are thinking it.

28. stupac2

I was under the impression that the things were also supposed to be true, which that isn't. I'm not going to argue that no one believes that, lots of people are idiots.

Etan likes this.
  29. Couldn't agree more.

tree777 and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  30. First rule of Beer Advocate don't talk about Beer Advocate!

31. dan027

It's not true that LOTS of craft beer drinkers chase whales like nobody's business? Bringing up that fact makes people idiots? Is this guy like your arch-nemesis or something?

Hermthegerm likes this.
  32. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (430) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I agree that this article does make some substantially good points but that it also makes too many broad generalizations about us "beer geeks". I find it ironic that one of the points is that there is little to no ethnic diversity in the craft brewing world but in the same article makes discriminatory generalizations about craft beer drinkers all having a herd mentality and all being whale chasers. Aren't both of those statements contradictory, being that essentially generalizing an entire community of people is discriminatory? The writer points out a huge lack of ethnic diversity but fails to see his own discrimination and generalization of craft beer lovers, that is funny.

Maybe the author is also a comedy writer too?

QuakeAttack likes this.
  33. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Good article. The only points I would disagree with are the "breweries making too many different beers" claim, supported by examples of three classic, well-established brewers. If author's point is "master several styles, then expand", I would agree. But it's becoming a crowded market, and in order to stand out brewers are trying to give people what they want - variety. If a brewer comes out with only one or two beers like Steam or London Pride, they're probably not getting noticed in today's market.

Also, festivals can definitely serve a purpose. When I go with friends who are relatively new to craft beer, I always see them try many beers that they had not had previous experience with and leave with more knowlege of what is out there and what they like.

cavedave likes this.
  34. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i think there's a difference between generalizing about a group and pointing out a statistical fact. you can say "this group is mostly like this" and that is up for argument. the fact that 99.9% of brewers in the US are white is not reallly up for argument

35. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

"Most beer festivals are merely an excuse to get drunk."

That statement was the biggest contradiction as not once, but on 3 occasions, the author claimed the fallasy of his own declaration.
    "They’re a great way to spend the afternoon with friends, sampling unusual ales and lagers and educating our palates on a constellation of craft beer flavors"
    "...distributors roll out breweries’ flagship brands. That means plenty of Stone IPA, Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale, Brooklyn Brewery Lager, and other delicious, if commonplace, beers served..."
    "Of course, there are exceptions. Shelton Brothers and 12 Percent Imports put on the exemplary Festival, which offers some of the world’s rarest beers"

He talks about how craft beer fans just want to get drunk, but then gives 3 perfectly reasonable reasons to go to a beer festival without going into detail about why he assumes craft beer drinkers just want to get drunk. o_O

billandsuz and Kerrie like this.
  36. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

Didn't really see the point of the article.

37. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

Oh, do tell.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  38. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Many good observations, but many generalizations made about BAs as well. There is diversity even within the community on our approach to advocacy. I don't like people trying to lump our behaviors as the same...even if they happen to be part of the "herd". :mad:

39. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (430) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I don't think it's up for argument either, reading what I wrote again I wasn't very clear. I think that pointing out that the industry isn't diverse and in the same article making out all beer geeks to be whale hunters is contradictory, being righteous about diversity and then making a broad generalization about a highly diverse group of beer lovers is somewhat ironic. I think that I can safely say that we as a group are made up of all different ages, races, sexes and walks of life, I thought the author was unfair to classify us as just whale hunters and sheep. I see posts all the time about people that just want to try as many different brews as they can, or are partial to particular styles; we're not all hunting for rare belgian brews, and limited release barrel aged offerings.

40. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

Take for instance, the 2012 Vermon Beer Fest (display picture)... My fiancee and I gave away our last 5 tickets (EACH) to random people just because we had tried all the beers we were interested in and had no need to continue drinking "just to get drunk". We had a great time, enjoyed some AMAZING beer, and met a lot of great people. I'm looking forward to the 2013 VT Beer Fest, and perhaps someone here just may be the proud recipient of our leftover tickets. :)

Kerrie likes this.