1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

16% beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DerrickW, Feb 23, 2013.

1. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (500) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

I've heard that this beer runs anywhere from 11% - 16%. This specific bottle says 11.8%. Do beers vary in ABV according to state? If so, do you have any examples?

[​IMG]
    baconman91 and Willbfun like this.
  2. The Ohio version is watered down per say. They had to meet the 12% ABV cap.
  3. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Yes, various states have ABV limits.

The most common solution is to not sell a stronger beer in those states, rather than adjusting the formula in some way. A common example is the various strong DFH beers which cannot be sold in certain states.
  4. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I didn't know other states have abv limits. damn, that sucks. Guess NY is filled with a bunch of lushes, 'cause I just had a beer that was 18.1% last week.....
    luwak likes this.
  5. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

I had heard that they basically just changed the label for states like Ohio...Not sure though.
  6. Man that sucks to have an ABV cap! Regardless does the "watered down" version taste any different?

BTW I loved getting the 15th anniversary for $2.50 at stores. Seeing the 16th for $9.99 I didn't pick it up.
  7. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (500) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

I don't think they change the ABV either. This beer tastes more like 16% than 11.8%. Will sample a South Carolina version here in the next few days. I paid $7.99 for this bomber and it was well worth the price. Sharing with 2 friends. Cheers!
  8. In Oregon Bud runs 5%. In Oaklahma it runs 3.2%.

So says a friend of mine. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  9. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

The Sweet Sixteen is 16% abv here in Illinois.
  10. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Uinta Brewing can't sell many of the beers that they brew in Utah because of their 3.2% law. So, for example, they can't buy their own Labyrinth Black Ale there because it's 13.2%. Doesn't that suck!
    Willbfun likes this.
  11. I think they can buy it in a liquor store, just not in a grocery store. I not totally sure of that though.
  12. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

Reminds me of SLC Punk where they drive to Wyoming to buy beer.
    MickJ0nes, Kelp, MinorThreat and 2 others like this.
  13. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

That movie was great !
    MickJ0nes and IIIPPPAAA like this.
  14. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

some states limit the ABV, Utah being the famous example with a cap of 4% ABV for most sales outlet (Mormons!)
    there are dozens of examples of beer that is brewed specifically for a certain state market. don't know how well He'brew would do in Utah...
    the Feds do accept a certain leeway with the stated and actual ABV though since even the most advanced brewery is still working with organic ingredients and sometimes uncooperative yeast. the variance is only a few tenths though.
    Cheers.
  15. Completely incorrect.
    4% on Draft. 3.2 in grocery stores.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  16. LOVE this beer! Mine are all 16% and I would assume every bottle they made is too no matter the distribution. It's part of the Sweet 16 schtick.
    retry4z likes this.
  17. You're correct. "Heavy" beers can be purchased in liquor stores. At least I think that's the term I recall term using. Pretty sure they can sell direct at the brewery too as Epic sold all of their stuff on-site.
  18. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

You're definitely correct...Here in Oklahoma, all beer sold in grocery or convenience stores are all 3.2%. Liqour stores can sell basically whatever we get distributed, but it cannot be sold cold. Messed up laws here, but it is what it is and it's getting better. The funniest thing is that I think all the Budweiser here is just Bud Light but in a different can, same for Miller/Miller Lite or whatever...yet people will buy one over the other based on who knows what they perceive...
  19. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Abv limits have got to be the most pointless idea.
    MtnBiker likes this.
  20. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

of course it does try adding 50% water to any beer you have I guarantee you every beer you do this to will taste different and probably not in a good way.
  21. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Founders Devil Dancer used to say 14%...now that its distributed to Ohio bottles are 12%.
  22. That's not true.
    For the binge drinker who chooses quantity, 3.2 in comparison to 5-5.5 is a large difference.
    In the realm of craft beer and its sale it is very limiting however.
    BigBarley likes this.
  23. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

But I can go buy a bottle of 151 proof rum. Nah there is no point to them. If its brewed, it should be available. Distribution willing of course.
    TwelveOunces, mfnmbvp and fredmugs like this.
  24. I believe they just changed the label, not the beer. By the way, in CA it had to be labeled as California Edition 16 and not Sweet 16.
  25. animal69

animal69 Advocate (570) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

ms. just raised their cap from 6 percent
  26. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

16 >> 15 by a mile...it was sweeter but i bought like a case of 15 since it was so damn cheap...and it gets better and better so...
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  27. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Had this a week ago. Liked it a lot, but it was definitely a beer I needed to share. Had maybe 1/3 of it before I started looking around the room and asking myself "who would like some of this?"

One thing I thought was odd, it was 10.99 here in IL, at least where I found it. My friend in AZ says its $6 near him, not sure if its a pricing error or a regional price difference; seems weird that az would have this beer so much cheaper than we do in chicago considering its from NY.
  28. Does this also mean Epic Brewing isn't allowed to sell it's beers in it's own state? Anything I've ever had from them is well over 4%
  29. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (290) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Jewbelation was 16% in Wa
  30. So called "3.2" beer in those states (OK, UT, KS, CO, MN, MO - in order*) that still use that limit for some licensed retailers by law can't be over 3.2 alcohol by weight, not "abv". 3.2% abw is just about 4% abv, as noted on this snippet of a Budweiser label from one of those states.

[​IMG]

* In order of the percentage of all beer sold in that state that is 3.2. Over 80% of all 3.2 beer in the US is sold just in OK and UT.
    BottleCaps80 and billandsuz like this.
  31. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If that's true... that's HILARIOUS.

Thank god in Texas the one thing we've got going for us is no ABV cap. Well, I think in a supermarket you're capped to 17% or so, which is barely applicable. In a liquor store though... anything goes! We even get those crazy ABV beers from BrewDog like Sink the Bismarck @ 42% ABV.

I know I bought the OP's beer at a supermarket (Central Market).

There's also a third variant of 'Jewbulation Sweet 16' for California... where they wouldn't allow them to use the words "SWEET 16" on the label because it might "promote underage drinking". So it has a banner over it that says "CALIFORNIA EDITION"

[​IMG]
    djsmith1174, luwak and BrewStew58 like this.
  32. That seems unlikely since Bud Light and Miller Lite in the "regular" incarnations are both above 3.2% abw/4.0% abv limit - both at 4.2 abv. The large brewers all practice "high gravity" brewing, brewing a strong beer and then diluting to the regular desired strength at bottling. As such, it wouldn't be difficult for AB and MC to simply add even more water to make the 3.2 abw versions of the various flagship beers. Back in the '70's when Coors only brewed one beer, they marketed Coors Banquet in both a 3.6% and 3.2% abw version, depending on state/retailer type.

HG brewing is how some brewers created the "light" versions of their regular beers. In particular, Michelob Light was AB's first entry into the "light beer" segment in the 1970's in an attempt to capture some of Miller Lite's explosive market share, and was made by simply adding a bit more water to regular Michelob (and, as a result, it was one of the most caloric "light beers" at the time).
  33. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I was recently at Dark Horse and they had BBPt5 on tap and listed on their board with an ABV of 14%. We get BBPt5 here in Ohio and the bottle is labeled as 11 or 12% yet the folks at Dark Horse insist that they don't make specific batches for certain states, such as Ohio. This leads me to believe that breweries will label their beers to meet state ABV caps yet have contents that are, in fact, the real deal, higher ABV beer that everyone else gets.
  34. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

BBPT5 is brewery only. Regular PT5 is distributed in 4 packs and isn't waxed. Different ABV.
    luwak likes this.
  35. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (295) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Does the 12% Sweet 16 taste like Everclear blended with Maple syrup, because that is what the 16%'er tastes like to me. Not necessarily a bad thing,..
  36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

We have a 15% ABV here in NC. I can't believe any brewer would change labels and sell illegally, it sounds ridiculous and not worth the potential fine. Also hard to believe any brewer would make different batches for certain states, it would make QC an enormous pain in the ass and not worth the effort. These are small craft brewers trying to maximize profits not kill their business. The most reasonable answer is not to sell to states with an ABV limit that your product exceeds. We get DFH here in NC, but not 120, you can probably get it in Va. We don't get Uncle Jacobs here it's 18%, but you can get it in Va, we get other Avery products here as well.
  37. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

That's interesting since I saw it on shelves somewhere in NW Ohio a few years back.
  38. I see a lot of people mentioning that breweries will just slap a different abv on the label to get it in various states. Not sure how it works in other states but in New Hampshire the brewery is required to submit the beer for lab testing. If the abv found in the beer comes back differently than what was submitted on the paperwork it gets rejected. Hence the reason I didn't get the last FW Anniversary.
  39. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

Kind of renders pointless the whole 10 malts/ten hops/10% ----> 16 malts/16 hops/16% series that this beer is supposed to be each year.
  40. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

In this example and the one above, I have to ask, is the ABV different or do they just slap a new label on it? Does the state test the bottles before they hit the shelves?