1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

16% beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DerrickW, Feb 23, 2013.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I would think if they wanted to reach a broader consumer they would dumb it down per say so that 12% covers more area that perhaps the 14% didn't. You just can't just slap fraudulent labels on consumables, wonder how many state and federal laws that would break.

2. When released in Ontario (a province with a crazy long lab testing requirement before the go to retail) they measured the ABV at 14.5% despite the label saying its 16%. This happens a lot last time with Cuvee Rene the bottle states 5.5% but the lab testing stickers put it at 6.5%. As shitty as the lab testing is here they are quite acurate with measuring ABV.

luwak likes this.
  3. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

yes, the OH version ..the lesser of the 2 He'Brew's (i know some folks have already said here but..).
    I live in Ohio..couldn't find That version even, anywhere around (where I live). BUT, I do have a buddy that came to visit from Col. over the Holidays..guess what he brought me? - the 16%er baby!

-- it's pretty good/alright, However..I felt a bit much (tasted like a Capful of rubbing alcohol was dumped in there) And I like my stiff beers, but..

- Don't forget about Dogfish & their 120 min. IPA though...the OG version was above 20% now tamed dwn to around 18. Can't get This one in OH either (BUT I guess its Good to have Good friends)..got to try the 18...its Real good & an Animal all its own - Superb!

4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Last year was brewery only. I do not keep a log in my head of distribution of every Michigan beer going back multiple years, so I won't argue with you about it. :)

Stinger80OH likes this.
  5. Bud and Bud Light have the same ABV. One is just a lighter beer with less carbs. Hence the "Light" title.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

ABV limits are so nonsensical.

Can't buy beer over X%....oh well I'll just take that bottle of Vodka then thanks.

mfnmbvp likes this.
  7. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

I never had the 14% version, but the guy I talked to said they didn't taste any different and he thought it was just a new label.

8. Georgia's cap is 12 or 14% I believe.

9. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (535) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

I purchased this one, at the beginning of the thread, here in Athens GA. Overall, I thought it was a tremendous beer. Couldn't really tell if it was indeed more than 11.8%.

10. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Georgia is 14%.

Alabama is 13.9%

Mississippi is 8%ABW, which is about 10.2% ABV

11. They can only offer draft option at 4%. They can sell it just fine?

12. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (550) Ohio May 24, 2011

Not if you own Budweiser. We call these restrictions Budweiser laws here in Ohio. Budweiser: keeping good beer and good weed from the people through lobbiests since 1876! Thanks Adolphus!

luwak likes this.
  13. our cap is 15%, ive had the beast in at 16% also i have sweet 16 right next to me in my store true fact on the DFH products though we do get olde school

14. This is not true. Bud is 5%, Bud Lite is 4.2%. "Light" refers to calories. Alcohol has calories. Less alcohol is one way to reduce the calories of your beer.

15. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I believe 2011 was the first year it was sold in 12 oz bottles. It definitely was not distributed. If it was on shelves I would question how it got there.

16. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Wow really? is there any info on thiy available somewhere?

17. There should be some on the ACGO website (they are the organization that actually tests the product) they also sticker products even if the ABV is correct but the beer isn't labeled as "strong beer" or "extra strong beer" or "contains barley" all things that needed to be on products to comply with Ontario law. It is actually quite the pain in the ass especially if it is an IPA/DIPA that needs to be tested, but the lab is actually quite impressive for what it is

luwak likes this.
  18. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

FFS...

19. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

Interesting story, but meh...I still think Budweiser and Bud Light in my state is the same thing with different facades.

20. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It would be illegal to misrepresent, because one of the labels would be wrong. I can drink a Bud, but Bud lLght is truly terrible.

21. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Minnesota and North Dakota don't have any ABV/ABW limits

22. Mass has some screwy laws, ABV is not one. DFH 120 runs from 18-24 depending on the year, I guess. There are places in Mass that have it on draft, in 10oz. versions! And, a store near me just got Sink the Bismark in at a whopping 41%

23. Sink the Bismarck is classified as a distilled spirit

24. I was $7 or $8 here in British Columbia. SN Torpedo, for comparison is $6-$7 per bomber (24 oz?). I found it to be surprisingly cheap, considering the abv and it being imported.

25. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Our He'brew distributor must be taking a huge cut. Ive seen this beer around in other places before and theyre all about the same price. I hate getting shafted like that. Its a shame, if it were as cheap here as it seems to be everywhere else, I'd have bought a few to age. At $11 I might as well spend my money on something better.

26. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Savant (355) Missouri Feb 10, 2004

Missouri does not enforce this at all, though I know it was once that way.

Jewbelation 16 is full strength (and a bit hot, I'll revisit next winter, but 15 is great this year). Many beers above 3.2/4% are available even in grocery stores (Stone Bastard series, Boulevard Smokestacks, etc).