Chilled Glass...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IRISHFAN951, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRISHFAN951

IRISHFAN951 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2014 California

I like freezing my pint glass before pouring, I think strong IPAs and Belgians are great this way. Haven't tried this with Russian Imperials or many stouts. Thoughts??
    KCCO

upsbeernut, TheBrewo and Vogt52 like this.
  2. 2ellas

2ellas Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

You just answered your own question. Don't do that.

3. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Do not freeze your glass and don't drink craft brews out of a pint glass. Just check out WBAYDN thread.

utopiajane, FrancisT and KhakCane like this.
  4. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

If you insist, continue, but for the love of all that is decent, don't drag stouts into this perverted game...

5. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76 Pundit (939) Nov 20, 2010 Oregon

I wouldn't even freeze a glass for an ipa, let alone a stout. No way. Your killing flavor of the brew. Keep the frozen glasses for that fizzy light beer where you can't taste it anyways.

6. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

edit: Eh, nevermind

7. makeminerandom

makeminerandom Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Not only shouldn't stouts and strong/imperial brews ever go into a chilled/frozen glass, but you'll actually get a LOT more aroma and flavor out of them if you let them warm up a bit, rather than drinking straight out of the fridge. Many dark beers and strong beers really only come into their own at warmer temps, and some can be downright nasty if you drink them too cold. I'm sure someone here can provide a scientific explanation, but especially flavors like chocolate, coffee, smokiness, and dark fruits (cherries, dates, etc.) develop exponentially as a beer warms.

8. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

The trolls have been out on BA lately.

Jonada, waston, Givemebeer and 14 others like this.
  9. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll be in the minority here and say that you should try it and continue to do it if it pleases you.
    While it's great to get advice from others, don't drink your beers to please others.

10. IRISHFAN951

That makes sense about warming them up looks like ill change things up a bit. Thanks all!

firstlighthiker likes this.
  11. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

First off, welcome to the site, and don't let the dickishly worded answers posted by some on here chase you away. Nearly all the BAs I've meet are stand up people. It's just that sometimes some of us forget what it is like to be new to the hobby of drinking craft beer.

With that said, it is considered quite faux pas by probably 99.9% of BAs to chill a glass before drinking a beer. Cold temperatures numb the palate which dulls the flavor of anything you eat. Think of the difference between how ice cream tastes straight out of the freezer (manageably sweet), and how it does after it has melted (super sweet). Different people prefer their ice cream at different temperatures, but it clearly tastes sweeter the warmer it gets. Beer responds the same as it warms--some flavors get stronger, other become apparent. One of the great experiences you can have with a good craft beer is sitting down, relaxing, and paying close attention to how the flavors change as it slowly warms.

Also, if you go to the style page for each style on here there is a recommended serving temp.

12. IRISHFAN951

Cheers!

AdmiralOzone and KarlHungus like this.
  13. slym

slym Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Welcome, OP!

Word of advice from another noob here - don't say anything bad about IPAs.

:wink:

14. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Pooh-Bah (1,620) Nov 5, 2013 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thank you for the reminder to keep the snobbery in check. We all need it. When I saw OP's post I thought he was trying to get a reaction. I honestly don't even look for or notice the whole Initiate thing. I guess I'll never fully overcome my prejudices... Welcome to BA IRISHFAN951.

15. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Savant (1,147) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I never used chilled glasses not even for AAL's.

utopiajane likes this.
  16. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Edit: nevermind. Quoting post from my phone sucks.

17. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,213) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bottom line - opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and if you really enjoy your beers that way, why change??

18. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

coronas are good in a frozen glass. that way you cant taste it...or so I've heard.

KendallKid likes this.
  19. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Drink what you like, how you like - I usually will ask when I order a beer for a non-chilled glass, and sometimes get a funny look, but I know what I'm about...welcome and have fun here!

firstlighthiker and AdmiralOzone like this.
  20. audioserf

audioserf Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

I use a red Solo cup with ice cubes in it. Am I to understand this is less than ideal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.