1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

1981 Belle Vue Gueuze

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by khofer3839, Feb 26, 2013.

1. wow! thats the year i was born. I want one!
  2. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

The beer profile you linked to has one review, and the person had a 1981 vintage. Maybe read the review?
  3. I think the oldest I have had was 25 years old - Kriek Mariage Parfait. Was quite good. Also recently popped a 12 year old Framboise Parfait as well. They were both quite good, but the 25 year old one was in a different league, obviously.
  4. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

If you wanna send me an extra, I will also post a review
    hooliganlife likes this.
  5. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I'd wait about 6 months to open it to let it settle out from shipping.
    emerge077, gueuzer and hooliganlife like this.
  6. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

yeah, there's definitely no room on this site for discussions about vintage lambics!
  7. Got to try one those Hanssens Oude Gueuzes from that estate sale two years ago that was supposedly from 1955. Had held up surprisingly well. Pretty delicate and not as sour as I expected. Tart with a decent amount of lactic funk but still had some citrus acidity and light fruit character. Haven't had anything else as old as the 81s that you have but did try the 99 Belle Vue Selection lambic which was pretty harsh and extremely acetic. The second oldest lambic I've tried is the 98 Lou Pepe Gueuze which was incredible but it's nowhere near as old.
    hooliganlife likes this.
  8. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I got to try the 99 Belle Vue Selection, it was brutally sour and harsh, I loved it. Easily the most sour beer ive ever had.
  9. Already popped one but I'll keep that in mind for the other 2. There is a ton of sediment floating around but overall the beer actually tastes pretty good. Extremely tart, sour, lots of apple and plum notes. Smooth finish but also extremely oxidized. Cork came out really easy, in one piece. I just soaked a fair amount of paper towels with water, wrapped it around the cork and let it settle for a few minutes then twisted it up and off.

Prior to this beer the oldest beer I've tried is a 1986 Celebration Ale and a 2004 3f Gueuze.

Thanks for the brilliant suggestion, why didn't I think to read the content on the page I posted a link to? Or think it appropriate to ask for elaboration on the Beeradvocate discussion forum of other people's experience with 20+ year old lambics.
    DmanGTR and RblWthACoz like this.
  10. Schooled.
  11. corby112 likes this.
  12. What Ryan said.
  13. The oldest Lambic I've had was another of those '55 Hanssens, and it was exactly like corby112 described - still very tasty and rather restrained for a Hanssens.

At the same tasting my group opened, among other less ancient brews, the following:

'84 Eylenbosch Geuze
    '86 Boon Framboise (the only serious disappointment in the bunch)
    '88 Eylenbosch Faro
    '91 De Neve Gueuze
    '94 Cuvee Rene (didn't take notes, not memorable in either a good or a bad way)
    '98 Lou Pepe Gueuze (surprisingly not as good as the '08 we also opened)
    '99 Belle Vue Selection

I've also been lucky enough to enjoy a few 3F beers from the '90s at other times, and all were spectacular: '97 Oude Geuze was delicate, '99 Oude Geuze was simply perfect in every way. Oh, and '99 Framboos wasn't too shabby either. ;)

Cheers!
    Thorpe429 and corby112 like this.
  14. corby112 and woosterbill like this.
  15. cjoc83

It was a joke pal, lighten up. Jeebus. You obviously haven't been on this site enough to know that we're a snarky bunch (well, some of us are, anyways). Deal with it.
  16. Had a 1959 3F Gueuze last year. It was an amazing experience that I was very thankful for. The flavors were very interesting and unexpected. That being said, I felt acetone really took over and it is not something I would like to drink again.
  17. Had an 84 cantillon supergueuze last summer. Was amazing. Here is a pic. Still had a good amount of carb too!
    [​IMG]

Edit: The bottom of the bottle poured like mud though, so I'd do my best to avoid that
    corby112 likes this.

18. I have a bottle of the 2004 3f gueuze in my cellar. How was it?
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This is exactly what I came in here to say. I'd love any beer from my birth year. (well any beer with the remote chance of having stood the test of time)
  20. 1982 Geuze De Neve. Very good with a surprising amount of carbonation.
    corby112 likes this.
  21. had some of the '55 hanssens gueuze, it was really good. paired with with a fresh and everyone liked the '55 more.
    corby112 likes this.
  22. You're fat.

Really good, definitely more tart than the 2011 I tasted it side by side with. I do kind of wish I would have waited a full decade before tasting though.
  23. cjoc83

I'm not fat, I'm BIG BONED! How dare you, sir!
    [​IMG]
    victory4me likes this.
  24. Lols, nice avatar by the way. The League is a fucking awesome show.
    cjoc83 likes this.