1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

1st brew, already having problems.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jeffcook, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jeffcook

jeffcook Aficionado (105) Texas Aug 1, 2012

Ok. I realize before I begin, I went a little overboard for my first time. Im attempting to harvest/propagate some Tilquin yeast from dregs. I made a 1.020 starter wort, sanitized everything thoroughly, cooled very quickly and pitched the dregs into ~1L. This is 1 week later. My questing isnt if its infected with bacteria, more specifically I want to know if they are the pedio/lacto or have I somehow contaminated it? The colonies are around where I have been swirling the jar to aerate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would help. Thanks.

2. kaips1

kaips1 Savant (285) Kentucky Feb 20, 2011

is this your first homebrew attempt?

3. That looks like mold to me.

4. jeffcook

This is my first attempt. The wort was a simple DME and yeast nutrient boiled for 25 minutes. It smelled sweet. It now smells just like Tilquin.

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Thats mold in there... I'd toss it personally.

6. jeffcook

I guess my question is, do pediococcus colonies typically form on the edges of the container.

7. Lacto and Pedio do not do well with oxygen so aerating probably isnt the best idea in propagating these dregs. It looks like mold to me too.

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

The black stuff is mold, the white stuff appears to be mold. If it's furry, it's mold.

You could save it, but chances are, I certainly wouldn't want to dump that shit in my wort, especially if you want to have a decent chance at a good beer as your first.

9. jeffcook

crap. thanks for the replies

10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Start witha KISS approach to brewing. You'll be grateful down the road when you still have some of your sanity left.

jtmartino likes this.
  11. LOL I will say the jeffcook was about as ballsy as I've ever seen, for a first attempt.

10 years ago I bought 4 used cornie kegs and a CO2 tank, a 60 quart kettle from a restaurant supply store and a zymico weldless bulkhead fitting, plus two 10 gallon igloo coolers, for my first homebrew, which was all-grain and kegged, completely skipping the extract or extract-with-steeped-grains steps, not to mention bottling....but I made a simple Fuller's ESB clone, a pretty much bulletproof first go. It came down to that one or a SNPA, which was beer #2 IIRC.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

You say you sanitized thoroughly but the mold suggests otherwise. You might want to describe how you went about trying to sanitize so someone might suggest a better approach.

Questions that come to my mind:
    -Was you glass container brand new or did it formerly have some other stuff in it? If used in other ways, there probably were some spores or hyphal propagules present at the start.
    -Did you scrub it clean before you sanitized, and if so, what did you use? The first step of sanitation must be cleaning.
    -What did you sanitize with?
    -How did you acquire the dregs? Did you flame the edges of the bottle before pouring to minimize contact with live microbes?

13. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (385) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I will give you a +1 for ambition and a -1 for success. I agree it looks like mold.

14. What were you even trying to accomplish?

15. jeffcook

The container was old, but properly scrubbed before being submerged in a "no rinse sanitizer" solution from my lhbs. I scoured it with soap and hot water first. The dregs were from a tilquin bottles last 2" of beer. I did not flame the outside, just sanitized with damp cloth full of solution and covered with sanitized tin foil after I poured a glass.

Ambition puts no beer in me

I was trying to accomplish a concentrated yeast/bacteria starter to inoculate a small wine barrel..

16. ditch

ditch Savant (250) Virginia Aug 3, 2009

I'm going to guess that the bottle you bought had mold around the cork/mouth of the bottle.somewhere during transfer the mold spores hitched a ride. The low amount of viable yeast took too long to get the oxygen pushed away from the wort. You can try using a lighter to heat the mold into dying and try to salvage the yeast in the wort. But there really is no way to tell if the mold will infect the next starter. I would say, buy another bottle, drink it, and try again! Sanitize the mouths of your bottles/flasks with a flame before transfer.

17. jeffcook

thanks for the advice but I can't help but think it's total b*******, I'm supposed to drink another bottle? seems like a lot of work man...

18. penicillin

nathanjohnson and jeffcook like this.
  19. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Assuming, you're being sarcastic (Sometimes its hard to tell on the internet)... Instead, why not just spend $8 on some Wyeast Roselare or Lambic blends (Depending on the style you're grewing) and save yourself the hassle of trying to culture commercial dregs for your first batch. If you're really set on using bottle dregs, supplement the Wyeast with bottle dregs.

kjyost and Gilmango like this.