1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2 at 5% or 1 at 10%

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by anglagard1, Jan 6, 2013.

1. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (255) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

W.C. Fields said something to the effect that he'd rather have 2 women at 20 years old than one at 40. On a slightly related note, do you normally prefer two 5% stouts over nursing a RIS, or are you into the really intense experience. As for me, I would never drink anything over 8% in a social situation (well I have, but I've learned from it). If I am to drink a KBS, I'll do it in the privacy of my own home or on the rare opportunity to drink with a real bear lover. I know the whales get the talk around here, but is that what everybody here is drinking in an ordinary session? As much as I love some of the 10% beers, I leave them for special occasions.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

3 @ 10%

unless they're small format, in which case 6
    DevilsCups, YogiBeer, luwak and 11 others like this.
  3. I'll drink the 10% in my crib.
    ABisonEgo, WagonCircler and Schwantz like this.
  4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I usually save high gravity big bottles to share with a friend. Otherwise, it just depends on the mood and what I'm doing at the time.
    WagonCircler and fujindemon74 like this.
  5. I'll take 2 at %5 eight days a week, in every situation both public or private.
  6. So a high gravity big bottle could be had at any moment.
    Well done.
    WagonCircler and Hotmetal1 like this.
  7. That's a pretty tough, yet thought provoking, question. I would have to say that it depends on what I may have or not had yet, and what I am in the mood for at that time. I agree you don't want to drink something in a social setting that will set you on your ass or help you make an ass of yourself.
    I do most of my beer drinking in the comfort of my own home where I can control my environment.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  8. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Oh, hell ya.
    WagonCircler and fujindemon74 like this.
  9. Considering I seem to favor Imperials over every other beer type. I guess 1 at 10! Unless its black tuesday...then 1 at 18?
    WagonCircler likes this.
  10. anglagard1

I'm not saying I limit myself to 1 or 2, just that I usually prefer drinking twice as much beer.
    cratez, WagonCircler and wiscokid920 like this.
  11. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

The brewer at my local brew pub makes a Baltic Porter which is my favorite beer they make. They recently got the Big Eddy Baltic Porter on tap and it was a dead ringer for theirs when we did a side by side. Even the brewer said it's the same except the fact that theirs is 7% and the Big Eddy's is 10%. The reason I mention this is because I don't care really about the alcohol as much as I do taste. I love beer. I love drinking beer. The reason I drink big stouts/porters is because they taste awesome but it comes at a price because you give up volume for taste but if I can drink a Baltic Porter that's exactly the same as one with more alcohol and be able to drink 3 or 4 and not be sauced why wouldn't I unless your just in it for the booze I don't see the point.
  12. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

1 @10 for sure. I had a bcbs at the bar the other day and I had to remind myself that it was 15% and I probably shouldnt drink it as fast as my friends were drinking theirs (and I'm glad I did). But if we're going with your original quote about women, probably 2 @ 20 :D
  13. On a typical friday or saturday night, I might have 1 imperial beer. Usually I will have 2-3 craft beers/homebrews in the 5-7% range. I will then proceed to drink a variable ammount of 4.2% AAL or liquor.

On weekdays I only drink on days I do a long run (once or twice a week) on those days I have 2 craft beers, otherwise I dont drink Monday-Friday.

Big beers are quite tasty but I have them pretty rarely. Holidays and maybe once or twice a month, part of this is due to the fact that they often only come in bombers/750ml.
    Atlas1977 and WagonCircler like this.
  14. I prefer something in the middle. The best beers for me fall in the 6.5-8.5 range
  15. 2 at 5% or 1 at 10% depends on what I'm in the mood for.

I find my drinking speed is tied to the size of the glass. If I pour a 10% beer in a pint glass I'll probably tank it faster then if I poured it into a goblet.
  16. anglagard1

I guess for me the deciding factor is variety rather than quantity. I'd rather have a stout, an IPA and an Amber than just one of either.
  17. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

5% to cleanse my pallet between higher abv brews.
  18. What the hell is this about? What does an 8% beer have to do with social settings? What social settings do you find kbs served? Clearly, I'm the drunk in the room but I either drink everything or nothing depending on the situation and or location if that's what this thread is about.
  19. KBS at a social setting...
    [​IMG]
  20. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) New York Apr 7, 2011

ABV is almost never a concern of mine. A buzz is nice, but I drink what i'm in the mood for.
    epk, DevilsCups, Svendozen and 5 others like this.
  21. Figure in alcohol tolerance, and this is a tough question to answer. I'd also imagine that my 2 impy stouts are much more dehydrating than 4 Taddy Porters.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  22. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

If I'm at a baseball game and it's 100°, I'd take the two lower ones. Otherwise, I'd go higher ABV. You might as well be drinkin' sodas otherwise.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  23. Awesome, what bar is this? I get up to boston 3-4 times a year. Let me know and I'll be sure to check it out.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  24. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

Definitely depends on what's available. If I'm driving. What I've eaten recently. What I'm eating currently. I'll take taste over % always though. I'm never drinking to get drunk.
  25. I wish more higher ABV beers came in 12 oz bottles. I have a cupboard full of high ABV 750 ml bottles that I'm sitting on until I have someone to share them with... So I guess for non social settings i am the two at 5% guy, then for social settings i am the 10 @ 10% guy...
  26. It was Green Street in Cambridge, a few places get it but you never know when they will release it. A facebook/twitter post of "we just put on a keg of KBS" and we all go running for it like a bunch of suckers.
  27. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I don't even take the % into consideration. I'm limited on how often I can drink, so when it comes time, I will drink whatever I most want at the time. I only begin paying attention to the % if I start to feel substantially affected by the alcohol.
  28. anglagard1

If I go to a party and it's BYOB, I aint bringin' the barleywine--it's rare for me that it will be appreciated. I understand that some people are able to socialize for hours and nurse a single beer, but I'm not that guy. So basically what I'm asking is, is everybody on BA a whale lover, or are they beer lovers and this is the one place whales can easily be discussed? It just seems like 10%+ beers get all of the attention while many fine 5% beers are ignored
    WagonCircler likes this.
  29. Just ask about session beers, plenty of support on BA for them.
    WagonCircler and Pecan like this.
  30. Actually sound like Kenny.
  31. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

Not sure where this conversation skewed to beer, but where did the 2 20 year olds go?
  32. With pics....
    BostonHops and WagonCircler like this.
  33. Well tonight I went with 2 big beers.
    Backwoods Bastard 10.8%
    Breakfast Stout 8.2%
    and I don't think I'm done
  34. Sounds like you just got started;)
    WagonCircler likes this.
  35. Just warming up
    WagonCircler and lucas1801 like this.
  36. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I think most people are just beer lovers, but the most memorable and tale-worthy beers are usually the really big, aggressive, unique, or rare ones. I was just reading a post here that mentions a lot of session beers and it sure seems like most people consume a lot more middle ground alcohol beers on a regular basis. It's just not really a good story: "So I just had my 36th Robert the Bruce of the year. It tasted fantastic... You know, just like the last 35 times I told you about it."
  37. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

not anymore
    WagonCircler likes this.
  38. I know what your saying and I agree in some ways, but if you make a thread about session beer they will come out and the others will ignore. I appreciate all types of beer, actually posted a pic od a BCBS poured in a NERAX(New England Real Ale eXhibiton) Snifter today.
    Cheers!!!
    WagonCircler likes this.
  39. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

10% all day every day