2 at 5% or 1 at 10%

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by anglagard1, Jan 6, 2013.

1. 3-4% for weeknight drinking. I love flavor, and enjoy drinking a pint. With a beer of that strenth, when well made, I can thoroughly enjoy 20oz for the same amount of alcohol as a 5-6% 12oz. To me, especially since I love English session ales, it's a no-brainer, and I get the satisfaction of having brewed it myself as well. I also enjoy medium- and high-gravity brews as well, but usually save the high-gravity stuff (and especially those in bombers/750s) for Friday and/or Saturday night when a nice buzz, hanging out w/the lady and watching movies (before we have kids) is still an option.

WagonCircler likes this.
  2. JonHoswin

JonHoswin Aspirant (40) Tennessee Jan 6, 2013

Well, since I'm in Tennessee, I'd love to have that 10% out of a grocery store someday!

WagonCircler likes this.
  3. psykosis

psykosis Savant (370) Indiana May 21, 2009

Whichever taste better. Abv of a beer rarely matters to me, other than to know how much I can have.

WagonCircler likes this.
  4. The bar has been confirmed. Maybe try following the thread before you run your mouth?

WagonCircler likes this.
  5. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

eh i'll take two 5% guezes over one RIS at 10% all day

WagonCircler likes this.
  6. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

If I am out at a bar I like to hang around the 5-8% range and I'll usually toss in a high gravity beer or two in the beginning or end of the night. All about pacing yourself. At home though... fuck it, give me the BCBS and a Triple and I'll wash 'er down with whatever else is in sight.

WagonCircler likes this.
  7. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

If you keep track of your alcohol consumption, you probably aren't someone that I'd like to hang out with.

WagonCircler and beerloserLI like this.
  8. Wow. for real? Fucking horrible.

9. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

My mouth wasn't running at all. I was completely silent.

WagonCircler and jesskidden like this.
  10. Can I choose however many I want at whatever ABV I want?

WagonCircler likes this.
  11. I think we all like the buzz....but I like only enough to enhance the expirience...not cloud it. Two 5's for me.

WagonCircler likes this.
  12. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Well said. Wanna hang out?

WagonCircler likes this.
  13. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

I'll take all three please, the beers and the chicks.

WagonCircler likes this.
  14. If ABV is why you drink beer you are doing it wrong.

WagonCircler likes this.
  15. Agreed. Or you're drinking brand-name +"Ice".

WagonCircler likes this.
  16. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

To answer the OP, I'd probably just stick with drinking 20 of these.

WagonCircler likes this.
  17. When you are used to drinking 7-8% beers as a rule, a 5% beer is light to some people - like myself. It's just what I've gotten used to. A 5% beer, unless extremely flavorful, seems watered down to me.

18. I drink what I feel like drinking at the time I'm ready to drink. If I drink a high ABV beer and feel a little tipsy as a result, I'll just take a break and have some water instead of opening another beer right away. Life is short; if you take your time drinking your beer it may seem to last a little longer.

19. BackwoodsBrewing

BackwoodsBrewing Aspirant (35) Dec 28, 2012

Friday had a Hopslam and 2 Night Stalkers drafts have to say 2 at 10% will do.

20. I understand that. I was just kind of saying that jokingly. 5% beers are not light beers at all, they just, as you pointed out, taste light when you're used to drinking bigger brews.

21. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Obviously. Hell I'll take one 20 year old over two 40 year olds.

22. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Stop trying to make it out that any time ABV is mentioned it's the reason for drinking the beer. Get off your high horse. ABV is most certainly a consideration for many people when choosing a beer.

23. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (350) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

If the long term of this is 10 at 5% or 5 at 10% I want the 5 because 3-5 is probly enough, generally like stronger more flavorful beers, and drinking 10 beers is brings on too much of a space/volume issue.

But, if my only choice is 1 or 2, I'm taking two because 1 of anything barely wets the whistle.

Fav. WC Fields quote,"What weasel stole the cork out of my lunch".

24. I prefer three, 6-8oz pours of 9-13% abv beers. Generally speaking, body for me is the most important factor. If a beer is at 5% and is thick, I will chose that (which is why I choose nitro taps for that reason). It just so happens that beers with more body tend to be more alcoholic too.

25. Didn't realize I was on a high horse and I know ABV is a consideration, I just see people that consider the ABV as the most important part sometimes. I enjoy high ABV beers myself as well as low and mid strength beer.

26. bsp77

bsp77 Savant (490) Minnesota Apr 27, 2008

Shouldn't the decision be two 40 year olds or one 20 year old?

Sam_Frank and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  27. 1 @ 10%! No question. However, I would love to see breweries move more imperial brews to 12oz bottles. I'm not always up for 22oz at 10, 11 or 12+ percent so every time I can find a great imperial in a twelver, I'm happy. I'd lilke to thank Bell's for doing a great job at this (Expedition stout, 3rd Coast, Hopslam, The Oracle). Don't get me wrong, a bomber of Hopslam would do things to me most women can't!

28. 1 @ 10. Show me 2 5% brews that can give the flavor of one 10%.

29. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (265) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

Someone else mentioned drinking a 10%er and then following it up with a water. For me, that defeats the purpose.

30. Gueuze, brahski

Thickfreakness likes this.
  31. One at 10%, always-

32. I am one of the few who doesn't drink a beer for the alcohol content, but rather the flavor. So I would have to say 2 at 5%. This isn't to say I shun all 10% beers, as there are quite a few that I do enjoy.

33. I have reviewed like 1500 beers. I have to say, the higher ABVs usually get the higher ratings. Not always, but usually!

34. csbinva

csbinva Savant (265) Virginia Jan 13, 2010

Not sure who is fooling who, nobody can handle two women, don't care the age! Bunch of women on here, give me plenty of 10% beers and I'll be happy, who wants water!
    It's like overrated Notre Dame thinking they could hang with the SEC, not happening, sure I'll get a ton of mess but it's true.

Pecan likes this.
  35. Send me the two 40 year olds, each carrying a bomber of BCBCS, please. Youngster over there can take on the cheerleader with the Magic Hat.

36. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

I'll take the 1 @ 10% any day of the week. More ABV true, but 1/2 the liquid volume too, less bloating. Also chances are the 10% stuff is far more enjoyable in flavor.