1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2 Days in San Fran. What Breweries to visit?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by waddellc2, Apr 18, 2013.

1. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (375) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

I am traveling to San Fran in early May for work and want to squeeze in some brewery visits in the 2 days I don’t have to work. Looking for Suggestions/tips/advice.

I am currently planning on renting a car and driving up to Russian River and maybe Bear Republic.

Actually in San Fran the only ones I am familiar with are 21st Amendment and Anchor.

What else am I missing????? Thanks!!
  2. rrryanc likes this.
  3. Lagunitas and Drakes
  4. Just brewery's or great places to get a beer? Magnolia is in SF, brewery brew pub. Good beer, good food. If you also want places with good taps, let me know cause i can give you a pretty good run down of bay area suggestions.Just an fyi, if your hoping for tours, rrbc doesnt offer that, Lagunitas and Drakes do. Anchor usually has a 3 month in advance list to go one their tours.
  5. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

6. waddellc2

Thanks guys!! Great suggestions
  7. Cboat

Cboat Aficionado (115) California Jun 6, 2012

Speakeasy brewery just opened their new tap room in Dogpatch/bayview area in SF. Supposed to be real cool. Magnolia, as suggested above is awesome also. Another good suggestion if you're driving is to check out Beer Revolution in Oakland.
  8. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

I agree with Cboat about Magnolia, espescially if you love real ale. As for Speakeasy, no thanks. I wouldn't send anyone in to that area for their below average beer.
  9. waddellc2

Any suggestions on bottle shops so I can ship some goodies home?
  10. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

11. MastaShonuf

MastaShonuf Savant (375) California Jan 21, 2013

Lagunitas, RR, and Moylans are all in a row heading out of SF. Taps in Petaluma is a good place to stop with decent food and a great selection (they do breakfast). If you are feeling adventurous then drive up to Bear Republic too in Healdsburg

It would be smart to find a place to stay as that is a lot of good beer to drink.
    waddellc2 likes this.
  12. If you make it over to Oakland, check out Pacific Coast Brewing.
  13. Cboat

lol I certainly wouldn't take public transit there. To go there one would definitely need a DD (I doubt a cab would even come pick you up in that hood...). Not to say I'm the biggest fan of their beers, I've just heard from my friends that the new tap room is supposed to pretty cool.
  14. Cboat

City Beer Store in SOMA (8th and Folsom) is in my opinion the best bottle shop. Awesome selection and everyone who works there is super geeky about their beer and know their stuff. Definitely worth checking out.
    waddellc2 likes this.
  15. BSzucs

BSzucs Zealot (75) California May 15, 2011

Speakeasy in SF.

Drakes in Oakland.

City Beer as bottle shop.
  16. BSzucs

BSzucs Zealot (75) California May 15, 2011

It also really depends on if you like pump it up, which is down the street.