1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2 New LCBO Store Formats

Discussion in 'Canada' started by papat444, Dec 31, 2012.

1. While I'm more hopeful about the grocery store outlets than if they were being run by The Beer Store, I suspect they'll be about having the popular stuff available and less about making the good stuff available. I picture them being like the Rideau Centre LCBO but smaller.

This just screams of an election ploy though. The new formats won't be ready by the next election while the Liberals can say they're modernizing alcohol retail in the province while not really doing anything.
    kjyost likes this.
  2. Just like in Manitoba, if they are LCBO outlets controlled by the system they will not be better. They will have the same stuff. You need the freedom of an independent store manager who's a beer geek to go through the hassle of importing the good stuff through the system. That can't happen in Ontario (and is super tough in Manitoba, but could be done as far as I can tell...)

3. That location is horrible. Especially when the Rideau Street location is a 5 minute walk away.
  4. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

This doesn't help anyone who likes craft beer.
    We aren't looking for convenience.
  5. My thoughts entirely. Just an easier way to push Ex or Blue. Brutal.
  6. Like the VQA boutique idea though.
  7. We've already got some local wine outlets in grocery stores, they're really nothing, but to say that we're not looking for convenience is kindof wrong. I personally would absolutely love to be able to get some half-decent beer without having to bus for an hour just to get to another end of town just to get to the one store that actually has a decent selection of beer. So please, keep in mind that a bit of convenience in being able to buy the stuff wouldn't be such a bad thing. I agree that chances are it's just going to sell six-packs of coors light and blue, but if they could just improve the actual craft selection at more of their locations I'd be happy, or at least I wouldn't complain about it too much.
  8. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Our situations are different so we'll just have to disagree.
    If I had to choose ONE, I'd take more selection.
    Having a car makes a difference, I guess.
  9. certainly more selection is an important improvement, but a move towards convenience really wouldn't be something I object to either - I don't really think anybody could object to the notion. The problem with the proposed changes isn't that it makes booze more convenient - it's that it doesn't really improve selection at all, it will probably only make buying bud light more convenient, as opposed to making a decent selection of beer more convenient, which I have to agree is kindof pointless. We've already got stores where you can just walk in and order a 2-4, that's convenience enough, what we need is convenience in co-operation with increased consumer choice.