1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2 weeks till Belgium HOW DO I CRAM IN 2 days

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by flannelman808, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I'm headed to the holy land... well Paris, but I'm going to hop a train to belgium for 2 days. Im hoping to collect some advice from those in the know about where to and how to get to must visit belgium (and paris) haunts and sanctuaries. Cantillon, De Dolle, and if westy is in saint sixers are all already in the mix. Any advice would be well appreciated!

Thanks !
  2. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Tell us which days you will be in Belgium. Some places are closed certain days of the week, and some will be closed for vacation in the next few weeks.
  3. Take the Thalys (high speed) train from Paris Nord to Brussels South, Cantillon is within walking distance of the train station (app. 500m),it's the official gueuze museum so it's open every day, entrance fee is 6€ (1x beer incl.). From there, it's app. 1km to Moeder Lambic beer pub, famous for it's beer selection. For de Dolle & Sixtus, you can get there by public transportation but it's no stroll in the park (there is more than one thread in the Benelux section on how to get there). There are many nice places to visit but as already mentioned by the site editor, it takes a bit of planning as several places have limited visiting hours.
  4. I believe I will be arriving to belgium on the first of october from paris, and may only be able to squeeze in a day. I would imagine most brewing operations will be up and running on monday. Any further advice would be much apreciated!
  5. First, don't assume stuff will be open! This was a harsh reality for me on my first trip. If you only have 1 day I assume you're sticking to Brussels? De Dolle is great but that would be your whole day & I also believe it's only open Sat & Sun. Both Moeder Lambics are fantastic and you can try a lot of great beer in one stop. The bigger, central one has a crazier draft list (seriously, your jaw will drop) but both are great & the smaller one is has more charm in my opinion. The Bier Temple bottle shops have lots of good stuff if you're going that route. Cantillon is of course mandatory. Drie Fonteinen is a very short drive from Brussels and I'm sure there's a bus that goes there as well. I've heard the DF cafe is no longer open (which is a shame if true) but the restaurant & store still are. I'd take it somewhat easy & find a few good spots. I predict you'll be going back another time once you get a taste of it! Also, in Paris definitely check out La Cave a Bulles bottle shop. Great spot.
  6. UncleJimbo

If you have only one day to be in Belgium, Sunday is the worst, but Monday is almost as bad because many, many places are closed for most or all of the day on Monday.
  7. ok good to know... but Cantillon is a go and moeder looks a go as well. Are there any shops that stand above the rest as far as vintage and rare selections are concerned?
  8. Watch out with buying beers in Brussels. It is a tourist trap avant la lettre. Outside Brussels prices are way nicer....

Thijs
  9. As Thijs already mentioned, the beershops in the centre of Brussels are VERY expensive and they DON'T have vintage or rare (and if they have, they ask astronomical prices for it)

If you need vintage or rare, better to post your wishlist and to get it from the local BA members.
  10. UncleJimbo

If you have time for a train ride to Antwerp, you can visit De Kulminator and buy some vintage bottles to drink or perhaps to take away. However, not on Sunday, and on Monday only in the evening.