1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2 yr hop experiment pg 2

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Thickfreakness, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA - original review 3/1/11 4.97 rating
    Best by date 5/15/11 (from the same batch)
    A- Strong, clear, honey amber color pour into my Bruery tulip glass. Close to three fingers of fluffy white goodness sit atop this brew. Leaves rings and rings of lacing as it gently fades down the rim of the glass. It’s a sight to behold! 5.0
    S- Pineapple, caramel covered apples, honey, some orange wax candle, composted grass, notes of over the hill lemons, and some cardboard. When you swirl it and liven it up, the pineapple and wonderful sweetness of the malts really shine… but when you let it sit for a few and sniff again. All of the above notes come out. Surprisingly not picking up any of the 10%ABV. 3.5
    T- Pretty much the same as the nose. Caramel covered pineapple stuffed with a lemon and thrown in a paper bag. Some nice brown sugar cookie sweetness, tart lemon and still an abundance of citrus. Not a trace of the 10%abv on the tongue. Some fresh cut grass on the back of the tongue. Probably tastes better than it smells to be honest. Actually gets a little bit sweeter and picks up some of the alcohol as it warms up. 3.5
    M- Still has a fantastic amount of carbonation! Nice lemony citrus that blends pretty well with the sweet and chewy caramel that lays upon my tongue. At least the candle wax and cardboard flavors don’t lay around on your tongue. Gentle touches of the alcohol. Actually… very nice mouthfeel. 4.0
    O- This one gets so much better as it warms up. It looses all of that nasty lemon/paper bag thing and lets the caramel sweetness, pineapple, fresh lemon zing, and compost sing. Had great carbonation throughout most of the tasting. Certainly nowhere near what it was fresh, but not at all horrible. I’d be hard pressed to say that this has improved. I didn’t figure it would. It’s a friggin’ brilliant IIPA fresh! Better than most West Coasters in my humble opinion! Really surprised at the amount of citrus left in this one! 3.75

[​IMG]