1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

2007 Bourbon County Stout - Let's clear the air

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SeaWatchman, Jun 20, 2012.

1. StoutFest

StoutFest Savant (315) Illinois Dec 15, 2009

I meant to say vanilla bourbon county vs regular bourbon county.

2. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I am not sure of this. Sure they will taste different, but just because the bourbon is better may not mean the barrel aging process was better.

Lost Abbey use to do tours of their barrel room and then end with a tasting. The tasting featured 3 to 4 samples of Older Viscosity, all brewed at the same time, and aged in the same brand of barrels for the same time. The different samples were amazingly different. IRC, there was a "perfect" tasting single barrel version, a blended version, and a bad single barrel version (which they would not use, it was way too hot), and maybe another version that had little to no barrel/bourbon character.

3. I would probably fall into that category. The few times I've had it I didnt think it tasted much different than regular bcs. I get a good amount of vanilla from the regular already. I did have one bottle that had a lot more vanilla than the others.

brownswisscow likes this.
  4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Which is why I said GUESS and didn't state it as fact. I do stand by the fact if 100 non bourbon drinkers tried PvW and heaven hill next to each other blind a CLEAR majority would prefer PvW. Never did with 100 but did pour PvW blind next to several bourbons for I think 10 people a couple years ago and it won easily (was mainly against lesser bourbons, no GTS or anything)

5. nanobrew

True, if I HAD to guess, I would side with PvW, as a non-regular bourbon drinker I too liked PvW better than Heaven Hill, and that was before I knew of hype about PvW, I was just stupid lucky for ordering it at a whiskey bar due to the fun name.

My main point is aligned a little with Cbeer, that there are so many factors in barrel aging a beer that the quality of the bourbon is not always an indicator on the quality of the final product.

6. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

yeahhhhh, but that extra year and a half + in the barrels definitely imparts more barrel character and a smoothness. not to mention, the hype behind it has still influenced the final average

7. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Despite aging an extra year, this thread tastes the same as the 2012 version.

8. tastes just like it smells, DELICIOUS!

9. Piddmeista

Piddmeista Savant (360) California Apr 15, 2013

Just curious, but did they happen to mention or does anyone know what they did with the "bad (too hot) single barrel version?"

10. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Yes, they aged it in pappy.

11. nanobrew

IIRC, they dump it. They might hold on to it for a little while to see if there is improvement, but if it remains below their standards they won't use this. I remember reading something similar about their other barrel aged beers (Cuvee de Tomme, Red Poppy, etc). I will try to hunt for the source.

12. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Wait, you're saying Tomme actually dumps beer???

domtronzero likes this.

13. Technically, I think they put it in empty soda bottles and send it to Three Floyds for barrel-aging.

domtronzero likes this.
  14. nanobrew

I remember someone posting some quotes and numbers on BA a few years ago (prior to the crash?) about how many barrels make the cut and how many get dumped. I believe the numbers were in relation to CdT. I did a brief search but was unable to find anything.

15. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Yes, but he dumps them into 375 ML bottles, which he then puts on the shelf for a premium price.

sidetracked likes this.
  16. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

A year later this thread is still hanging on.

How is the 2007 tasting form last year at this time? I totally get the Pappy notes!!:rolleyes:
    The Pappy is strong in this one!

JulianB likes this.
  17. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

The 2007 I had IMO lost some oomph, especially at the finish. Still good but I wouldn't say anywhere near great.