1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2008 DFH Fort

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jayfro70, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jayfro70

jayfro70 Aficionado (135) Virginia Dec 30, 2011

Is there anyone out there who has tried a well-aged bottle of Fort? I stumbled across this one in a store after it was already 3 years old, and it has been sitting in the back of my fridge ever since. I'd like to pop it open, but just haven't really had the right opportunity.

2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

I opened a 2011 a month ago......it was good. Last year I opened a 06 WOW

3. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

I've popped 2 2007's in the last year.. Both were exceptional.. Def pick it up

4. I had an 09 around Christmas and it was awful and poured down the drain. I just don't think this beer is for me.

5. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

They do get better with age and pair wonderful with fudge. Fort & Fudge is what my wife and I do once a year.

6. landrewg

landrewg Aficionado (235) Michigan Nov 11, 2008

We had an 08 Saturday night. The flavor was good--lots of raspberry--but the alcohol was too much. Still very hot but I wish I had another to try next year.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I opened an 08 about six months ago. This is one of those beers that baffled me, it tasted like fruity nail polish remover. Easily one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I don't know how many years it would take to mellow the alcohol, but I am not willing to get another to try.

8. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I have an 09 I am planning on using this summer. Hopefully it's good, or I can maybe put in lemonaid if it's just Ok or too much.

9. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Zealot (90) Ohio Jul 19, 2010

I have an 06 that I almost opened last night...didn't do it, but I will soon!

10. I had the same experience with an '08 or '09 I opened last Fall. Surprisingly, I really enjoy this beer fresh. Aged, not so much.

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Wouldn't it be hotter fresh? I mean I am willing to give a fresher example a try, I just don't see how it would be better.

12. Oh it's certainly a bit boozy fresh. The aged bottle I had just seemed to turn into a muddled mess of flavors.

And FWIW, this is a bottle I split with at least 4 people.