Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

2008 the dissident - oh yeah!

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by GRG1313, Mar 14, 2013.

1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (985) California Jan 15, 2009 Verified Subscriber

I have been writing the past several months on how much beer I've been ruining in my cellar and that "fresher" has been "better" in my experience these past several months. I've always admitted that there are exceptions but they have been few and far between, at least for me.

Wow. I just found a big exception! Just opened a 2008 Deschutes the dissident. I acquired the bottle new, right off the shelf, along with a few others. I drank a few and a couple went into my cellar, the cellar that I'm now trying to reduce. The bottle that I just opened has been properly cellared since new and was in the refrigerator until opened. (I frequently drink/taste room temperature beer, which is why I make note of this).

It really tastes good! Really good. Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you age beer. The beer was originally very good. Now, with several years on it, it's still good - not better! Good and different, which is one of the primary reasons that I age beer. Rarely do I age expecting "better." I age because I believe in some cases the "different" will be worth trying.

There is still a nice acidic character and a very nice brown ale/brett character. There is a fruityness that I did not expect and a fresh quality to it that is most surprising for its age. I love Flanders style ales and this is a great example of one that aged really well. I've been drinking it as I write this and it now has several minutes of air on it. Surprisingly, it has only oxidized minimally from the air and remains a very nice drink. I'm not getting any of that "flabby" old character or too much oxidation. I would never guess that this is a 2008 bottle despite a hint of sherry in the nose and mouth, typical of an older beer.

In my opinion I don't think that this one will get any better. I have a couple more bottles and I"m definitely going to drink them in the next couple of weeks. An aging success; I'm happy.