1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

2012 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by bmony, Dec 4, 2012.

1. TonyTalon

TonyTalon Savant (430) Wisconsin Mar 20, 2012

[​IMG]

josephwa likes this.
  2. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Savant (255) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

The BBS mixed with Breyers vanilla ice cream makes a delicious shake.

3. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

BCS and Andy's Frozen Custard, even better! ;)

4. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

Got Barley wine and BBstout today @ Woodmans in Kenoasha today $13.69 each

5. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

and that full year did wonders for this beer

6. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

11.99??? whole foods was charging 15.99!

7. I agree completely. Tastes like a different, and much improved, beer.

8. Well I think we should all take note on this right here.... This may be the first post ever on this site talking about a beer being better then a previous year. ;)

9. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Grabbed a 4 pack of this today along with the regular Y2k Barleywine.

10. mjpolzin

mjpolzin Savant (260) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2011

I just had a bottle of 2011 and (the new and improved) 2012 side by side. I have to say I couldn't tell much of a difference. The 2012 smelled a little more rich and bold but the tastes were very similar. Now usually with beers like this, I expect the one with more age on to have a lot more character so maybe because the 2012 was aged longer originally, it already has as much character as the 2011 does after a year? Does that make sense what I just said? So the 2012 should get much, much better with age if it already is right on par with a beer that has a year on it.

InVinoVeritas likes this.
  11. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Lots of research suggests that you do (or at least most people do). Google "packaging influence taste" if you don't believe it.

12. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It's true. I find myself oogling over labels, but come to my senses and read reviews before buying.

13. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

This year's batch may be my favorite yet. Great stuff for $3 per bottle.

Ri0 likes this.
  14. Ri0

I find myself drinking one almost every night. Good thing Woodman's just got another shipment in.

15. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I graduated with an emphasis in Advertising, so I'm well aware of how it influences people. But thanks.

My post was specifically in response to someone complaining about both the old & new labels...& has presumably had the beer already. Doesn't make any sense to me.

16. Anyone know if woodmans Kenosha is stocked? Was planning to head up there Thursday

17. I saw some there today. I didn't note how much they had though.

18. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Woohoo got two 4-packs at Algonquin Binnys, $11.99 each. Popping my cherry later after they chill for a bit. Nice night to crack one, the snow is really coming down out there.

19. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Binnys Grand got 25 cases today...11.99

20. It's drinking phenomenally too!!! I really think I may have to stomach the monetary hit buying several cases to supply me in full for the entire year.

Ri0 likes this.
  21. TonyTalon

TonyTalon Savant (430) Wisconsin Mar 20, 2012

HOW THE HELL is it cheaper in Chicago than it is in Milwaukee?! Greedy distributors!!!

TATURBO likes this.
  22. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

for 3-4$ a bottle. this is probably one of the best barrel age stouts ive had in a long time! This is drinking amazing fresh from the store

maximum12, InVinoVeritas and Ri0 like this.
  23. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Also blown away, on the same level as BCBS 2012 imo, if not better.

24. I would love to make that trade

25. Just sent one of that trade out today. Got two others lined up. Could probably take on one more w/o my BT hitting drought level in the cellar. Hit me up after the holidays. Standard deal is one NG 750 + 8 barrel aged CW's. Don't care which ones, they're all awesome. I also really like tyranena's brewer's gone wild series. Can also sub in some different NG 12ozers I'm into. Basically its "gograbme~$30ofWIshelfbeerbroandI'llsendyouaBT"

You gotta say Marquette > Badgers though. . . JK :)

TATURBO likes this.
  26. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Blasphemous!

27. That sounds awesome illl send you a BM after the holidays

28. Does central waters get distributed in Michigan or Ohio? Never seen it in any metro Detroit bottle shops. Sounds tasty though!

29. KC9LDB

KC9LDB Savant (405) Illinois Apr 20, 2009

Just outstanding, I was really impressed with this one, really makes me want to explore Central some more!

30. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

So I bought both and tried the stout yesterday and it is amazing. Especially amazing for $12/4pack!! I had the barleywine last year and drain poured it. Thought I would give it a shot again and same thing happened. Now I am new to barleywine so I can't give it a fair critique. I may simply not like this style. Just my 2 cents.

31. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (190) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

Anyone know if/when the Brewhouse Coffee Stout is being released?

FYI - found plenty of the Bourbon Barrel at Trigs in Minocqua and Rhinelander.

32. Ri0

You don't like the style, because it is a very good barleywine. I can't wait to try the BBBW.

davesway10 and maximum12 like this.
  33. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (340) New York Dec 3, 2009

Anyone interested in sending 2 bottles each of the bb stout and bb barleywine to ny?

34. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Yeah that's what I thought which was a bummer cuz I was hoping to broaden my likes. It was not aweful to me, just not something I would go buy to drink. I have a KH too so I don't think I am going to open it. Probably will try and trade it. Thanks for the confirmation.

35. BBA Stout at Four Firkins in St. Louis Park, MN for $11.99.

36. sandbergandy

sandbergandy Zealot (85) Minnesota Nov 21, 2012

This was $11.99 in the Minneapolis area this week. I was skeptical of the BCBS comparisons. And then I tried it. Excellent beer, and it really does offer a lot of the same flavors as BCBS, although the best way I could simply describe the difference between the two is the intensity. The BCBS takes the same flavor profile just a little deeper. For that reason, this is a great beer to introduce someone to BA stouts because it is a little more accessible from a taste perspective, as well as pricing and availability.

37. I picked up a 4pk of each, and after taxes it was over $30 for the two 4pks in a Mpls suburb.

I thought the BBS was very good if not just a little thin - but then again I still had the memory of 2012 GI BCBS in my mind (amazing).
    The comparison between those two aren't even close.
    Haven't tried the Kosmyk Charlie yet. Still waiting for the BBBW.

[​IMG]

38. Well I bought 5 4packs of the BBS and 1 of the bw yesterday and tried one of each last night. The stout was great and I felt could age for a while and still retain the bourbon. The bw I felt was still a little hot and taste wise I am a bigger fan of the bb form of it. Sadly I wont be in town for the release, I may need to have it bought and held for me :).

39. Can't seem to find any info on when the bb barley wine is released. Anyone know?

Thx