1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

2012 DL vs. 2011 Darkness

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ChugginOil, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Member

I was always told that Darkness was the better of theae stouts but after teying Darkness '1r for the first tine, I have to say, I could buy a hand-full of stouts that taste just like it, off the shelve. Same goes for DL but there's less equivilents for that as they are.

What do you think?
  2. aasher

aasher Member

Black Albert is a higher quality RIS than both of those beers IMO.

I have gone to both events in the past. I'll admit it, I go for the tastings.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Member

Unfortunately, you just sampled the weakest year of Darkness (& I'd say the weakest year of Dark Lord, too).

The '11 Darkness has been my least favorite of the series; it tasted more like a porter, weirdly thin & without a great deal of substance. I know other people have loved it, but I'd give it another go. The '12 Darkness is light-years better, as was the '09, & while the '10 wasn't great fresh, it's excellent now.

Hopefully you've sampled Dark Lord other than the abomination that is the '12 vintage, too.
  4. xnicknj

xnicknj Member

I'd typically take Darkness over Dark Lord (especially if it's the '12 vintage), but I don't find these beers to be all that comparable, other than their "rarity" and release parties.
    aasher likes this.
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

Well shit, I'm real glad I'm sitting on a couple 12' Dark Lords
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Member

Well, I've been told recently that they're improving from their green apple origins...if that helps! I have one too.
  7. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

The 09' Vintage tastes great!... on chinese food.
    johntangus likes this.
  8. sukwonee

sukwonee Member

I am probably the minority here but I actually enjoyed 2012 DL and did not enjoy 2011 Darkness.

I probably won't be seeking for DL or Darkness in the foreseeable future though - there are many many better beers more readily and cheaply available.
    mdvatab likes this.
  9. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

I haven't had the '11 Darkness, but I had a '10 Darkness a few months back and it was better than any vintage of DL. I did have '10 Darkness fresh, and I have to agree with maximum12 in that it has certainly become much better with age.
  10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

My only experiences are 09 Darkness and 11 DL. Both were good, but my pick went to Darkness hands down.
  11. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I've had 09-11 DL and 08-12 Darkness, and I'll take any vintage of Darkness over any vintage of DL. '09 DL wasn't too bad, but even fresh Darkness destroys it.
  12. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Member

My favorite Darklord was the '08 followed by the '10. I've had darkness (08 and 09 side by side in May of 2010)-but since its hoppier I would much rather have it fresh so I would like to try it again. I think of the two I prefer Darklord.

But yes, I feel that there are a lot of less rare imperial stouts out there that I like better that are easier to find. My favorite Imperial Stouts (non barrel-aged) are Southampton, Stone, and the Abyss. Stone is off the shelf; Deschutes doesn't ship this way but its relitively easy to trade for the Abyss; and Southampton is hard to get ahold of but not as hyped as Darkness and Darklord. Darkness and Darklord aren't even in my top 10 Imperial Stouts.
  13. Drtfinelli

Drtfinelli Member

Crap Bags!! Just traded KtG for DL '12 and Parabola for Darkness '12..... guess I'll regret that one :(
  14. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Member

'12 DL v. '12 Darkness. Darkness all day. Either one v. Eclipse Elijah Craig 12. DL and Darkness are both eclipsed.
  15. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Member

Both '12 DL and '12 Darkness were terrific beers. Truely great!
    I believe Darkness is far more available than is DL. So that will skew the poll a bit.

I've only had '11 & '12 Darkness. Both = Greatness
    I've had '10, '11, & 12 Darklord. All = Greatness

Many don't agree or want to hear this: I think Baller Stout is as good as both of those. It just melts your pallet!

I'm only a couple years into stouts, but I say, if you have a few bucks to spend and want a truely epic stout that is both rare, aged and full of greatness. You can't go wrong with either DL or Darkness.
    Cheers
  16. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Member

I just picked up a couple bottles of Black Albert and can't wait to try it.
    Next weekend it is!