1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2012 Doggie Claws

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Dogfishipas, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Has anyone else tried the 2012 yet? I looked at the reviews and they are pretty minimal so far. One review seems to match my experience however. I hope a lot of people aren't sitting on these for a big let down. The one I opened tonight was completely flat, no lacing, the taste was there though. I know that these are bottle conditioned, but I had over 1/4" of settlement and it wasn't just yeast. Pretty disappointed with this 2012. I bought two, I am thinking about returning my other though.

Picture on the left is right after pouring, picture on the right is after I let it sit for 15 minutes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. I have had a few bottles of the 2012 so far and have had no problems. No extra sediment besides that from conditioning, good carbonation and good taste. Send Alan a message and let him know. Because those pictures look gnarly as shit
  3. The one bottle I've opened was absolutely flat, but it didn't look anything like that.
  4. Thanks for confirming, I will send them an email to give them a heads up. I could have poured a little slower to minimize the "floaties", but I really wasn't expecting it from this beer as I've never had this problem in the past. I still finished it at least :)

(PS I tried to edit "settlement", but it was too late haha sorry for my brain fart!)
  5. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

6. One of the two I opened looked exactly like that, fwiw. Both were completely flat.
  7. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I had one bottle so far and it was fine. But I heard from a buddy that another bottle was "nearly flat, really cloudy, almost tastes like unfermented wort but there is some booze."
  8. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

HotD has never been famous for consistency...
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  9. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

every bottle i've opened has been completely flat, makes me a bit worried about my 3L i bought at the dock sale.
  10. Are they not worried about this? Seems kind of crazy to have cases of flat beer out there selling. The sad part is a lot of people are buying these to age and won't know what they have for a long time.
  11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Under-carbonation, over-carbonation, excessive sediment, and improperly capped bottles have been fairly common complaints for years. I never understood how a brewery can have such awful QC and still have folks fawning over them. Granted, most HOTD beers are spectacular when they're "on", but for $5-15/bottle I don't like gambling.
  12. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Same experience as the OP myself except I found the taste pretty terrible. Very sweet and unbalanced without the hop character I usually attribute to this beer. Not a good year IMO.
  13. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

I've had 2 so far, both flat...taste was fine, but another carbonation disaster by HoTD.
  14. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Mine was carbonated and tasted fine...
  15. I've seen them on shelves up here in WA and just the massive sediment cake at the bottom of the bottle scares me off. It's a shame to hear this because I've had 09-11 recently and all were fantastic. Cracks me up how Tomme takes all the shit for carb issues while Alan somehow dodges the bullet. Get your shit together HOTD!:mad:
  16. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Same...I've had 5-6 bottles of this year's release and all of them were just fine.
  17. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Happy to report that the bottle I opened tonight was delicious, fully carbonated and zero sediment.

[​IMG]

Your mileage may vary...
    BillHilly likes this.
  18. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

Curious how the variation happens from case to case when purchased at the same time ... Damn. Thanks again amigo!!

I've had quite a few bottles and I thought mine were well on the way to becoming very overcarbonated.... They were already pretty bubbly. I moved my remaining bottles to the fridge to prevent bottlebombs.

That said, mine have had nice flavor (both malt and hops) and were pretty clear until you tried to decant the last little bit out.... I've had luck not getting things too mucky by leaving about an ounce in the bottle and pouring very slowly.
  19. I've had 2 so far and both had no carbonation and were full of sediment. I still thought they tasted good though.
  20. With the bottle I had, I would have had to stop pouring with at least 2oz left in it. I still can't believe how much trub was in there! My homebrews don't get this bad when racking off the yeast cake.
  21. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I just preformed a visual inspection on the case that I bought and they all look fine.

I've only opened one bottle so far and it was excellent.
    BrewBoone likes this.
  22. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (340) Washington Sep 11, 2011

[​IMG][​IMG]

This thread made me anxious to try mine. Mark me down for a flat one. At least I stopped pouring at just the right time.
    distantmantra and NWer like this.
  23. Opened up one of mine just to see. Perfectly carbonated and no sediment. Consider me lucky I guess.
  24. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

I've had nearly half of my case and generally experienced the same thing each time-carbonation was fine, but lots of sediment in the bottle. To the point I've just started leaving about an inch in the bottom of the bottle. Flavor is fine, but the beer is definitely on the cloudy/murky side.
  25. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

That's fairly par for the course for HOTD (or most bottle conditioned beers) though. You've got to pour them like a homebrew and accept that you'll lose an ounce or so.
  26. So did WA get the bad bottles? Sounds like the majority of the complaints are from those of us in WA.
  27. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

We're fixing your 'no rare beer' problem.
    Snoglobe Doggie Claws exclusive.
  28. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Savant (460) Washington Dec 1, 2004

Same here. I remember when flat bottles were an issue a few years ago and Alan seemed slightly less than concerned that customers may be unsatisfied. I gave up on Lost Abbey for that reason, and it may be time to do the same with HOTD.
    RedMedicine and distantmantra like this.
  29. I never have a problem with the standard stuff (Adam, Fred, Blue Dot) but I've had carbonation issues with all the special releases that are sold at a premium. You're not a homebrewer, you're a commercial brewer who charges good money for this stuff. I understand the difficulty of bottle conditioning high ABV beer, but work on your quality control. I'd rather not consistently be a guinea pig.
    Rutager and TheBungyo like this.
  30. Just opened one of my 2012 Doggie Claws and it was flat also. Very disappointing. For a well-known brewer who knows that his fans are cellaring his beers, you would think he'd get the carbonation issues right and do some corks and cages or something to make us feel confident in purchasing his fine products. He's been doing this for almost 20 years right? He's got the name recognition, he's got Dave for crying out loud! Oxidation and lack of carbonation on very expensive beers doesn't seem to be working for him. Bummer for all of us. I'm kind of over it too. I bought 2 (12oz.) Michaels a month ago at $15 bucks a pop. Buying his beers should not be a gamble at these prices.
    distantmantra likes this.
  31. "he's got Dave for crying out loud! Oxidation and lack of carbonation on very expensive beers doesn't seem to be working for him."

errr, seems to be working just fine for him, didn't he just auction those oxidized and uncarbonated Daves for a couple grand per soy sauce bottle?
    PrinceCaspian72 and Kelton like this.
  32. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

FWIW, I've had plenty of problems with Blue Dot. All these issues combined with a string of shitty experiences at the taproom and I'll be spending my money elsewhere at least for a while.
  33. Anyone know if Alan bottles his own beer or does he use a mobile bottling company?
  34. TheBungyo

It's a shame that not every brewery stands behind their beer the way Deschutes does when they have a problem. This thread would have a completely different tone if HOTD were more like them in that respect.

I suppose it could be worse though. He could claim he's sent it off to a lab and had it tested for carbonation where it was proven to pass as "carbonated" and is in fact an English style barleywine .... and we just aren't educated enough to appreciate the carb level of said style.
    Rutager and distantmantra like this.
  35. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think it's fairly absurd to draw comparisons between Deschutes and HOTD, other than the fact that they are of a roughly similar age.

HOTD brews 600 barrels of beer a year on a 4-barrel system.

Deschutes is a production brewery making 222,000 barrels a year, distributing to half the country. When Collage was made, they brewed more Adam that day than HOTD does in a year. Their brewpub system for one-offs is 3 times larger than HOTD.

It's simply not reasonable to ask HOTD to follow all the same practices (or achieve the same consistency) as a brewery like Deschutes.
    LoPo87 and boMD like this.
  36. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I had no idea HOTD made so little beer. Also I thought these QA problems were behind them as I haven't heard of any issues in a while. It's disappointing that its still going on. I bought a case of Doggy Claws this year and the two or three I tried were tasting great with no issues. That said, I bought a doggy claws maybe three years ago and there was zero carbonation. It was my first barleywine, except for a couple at a tasting, and I assumed I didn't like the style.

When they are on they are dead on and for that reason they are probably my favorite brewery but I don't blame anyone that has been burned too many times and just doesn't want deal with it anymore.
  37. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Dumb question, but what is a 4-barrel system? Is this indicative of their single batch capacity?
  38. I still have yet to get a response from them. You would think a business that cared even a little bit would at least respond with an apology or explanation. I had a recent similar experience with Elysian and they responded within 24 hours, offered a refund and invited me down to the brewery for some beers (I never took him up on the offer due to schedule, but the fact they made a point to make it right is all I needed). That is why I continue to buy Elysian beers and this Doggie Claws may have well been my last Hair of the Dog.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  39. TheBungyo

They can't offer reasonable customer service because they're smaller? They can't stand behind the quality of their beer because they produce less of it than Deschutes?

Wow ... speaking of "absurd" ....
  40. TheBungyo

After the flat Angel's Share issues, I completely stopped by Lost Abbey beers and honestly haven't missed them. And I agree, a simple apology and offer to make it right goes a long way.