1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2012 Doggie Claws

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Dogfishipas, Dec 28, 2012.

1. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Opened one last night - Flat as a pancake, maybe even flatter...

I was cautious with the pour so that it was clean, but I did have a nice 1-2oz shot of sediment on the side.

In other news, it wasn't even remotely close to as tasty as it was in prior years.

Dogfishipas likes this.
  2. Well, my experiment failed. I guess I will chalk this up as a loss. Left it at room temperature (70 degrees) for 2 weeks, gave the bottle a good shake every couple days to keep the yeast suspended. It was still completely flat. I don't think a year will bring this one back to life.

[​IMG]

3. woemad

woemad Champion (835) Washington Jun 8, 2003

Until I came across this thread, I was really hoping to encounter some DC bottles (which have yet to make an appearance anywhere in the Spokane area, so far as I know). Now I'm beginning to think I'll be better off not finding any.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  4. For some reason, HOD seems like hype to me. One of those beers where it would probably have to be free or proven to be amazing with my eyes for me to try.

5. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Have you tried Adam or Fred? Should be readily available to you..they're both pretty damn tasty.

On that note, picked up a Doggie Claws the other day to sit on for awhile and now I'm thinking I may just pop it open to satisfy my curiosity.

Rutager likes this.
  6. Min
    Mine looked just like that. Lucky I guess.

7. Hey look, more bottles of Doggie Claws shipped to WA that are flat.

8. Mine was flat as freeking pancake :mad:

9. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

As was mine, but I didnt mind much as it tasted awesome. Though it would be nice to try the brew as it was intended... I was just looking at a bottle of this at the engine house and the sediment cake on the bottom was HUGE! Not sure if they are all like that, but asthey are bottle conditioned I would assume so.

10. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Hey look, still zero response from the brewery! What's new..

11. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

Another update... I am definitely in the minority.. but my bottles have all been carbonated and even gaining carbonation despite being in my kitchen fridge.

Tonight a careful pour showed a 3 finger head (appropriately enough in my HotD goblet) with yeast in the bottom oz or so. Pretty burpy with too much bubble.

I am keeping them in the fridge (and pissing off the wife) just because I am worried about bottle bombs.

Waaaaay too much bottle/case variation in this brew. My bottles taste great, but are just too damn carbonated.

12. KiMiRaiK

Where'd you buy it?

13. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

The case was muled for the Boise tasting group by a very cool BA at the release in PDX.

14. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Hmm, I might be in the minority too. I've popped open 6 bottles with no problems. The ones I sent to my traders have all been fine too.

Maybe there was one batch of bottles that simply went wrong? I wish these things were numbered, then we could get a bottle range or something.

15. I think that the batch sent to WA has the carbonation issues. Everyone who has posted here about flat DC is from WA.

16. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

So you're saying that the border crossing between OR and WA makes Doggie Claws go bad? :)

17. Makes the WA version RARE hah! In a bad way...

SatlyMalty likes this.
  18. All of my flat, murky bottles have been purchased in Portland, fwiw.

19. Damn glad I just noticed this thread before I went to purchase another and
    super glad I only bought one and Yes I was going to age it but now why should I waste the space
    hope it is at least drinkable as it was $5.49 for the 12oz bottle
    it makes me angry that you trust a brewer to put out a good product and he puts out something he must know is no good but doesnt care just in it to make a dollar
    Personally I will never buy any HOTG again there is just to much good stuff out there to support a brewery that is trying to deceive loyal customers

20. Good to know that my crazy tin hat conspiracy does not exist.

Rutager likes this.
  21. I had mine in MI and it was flat. Oh yeah, I purchased it in WA.

22. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

Has anyone opened their Jeroboam from the dock release? I don't have very high hopes for mine, as I've had very wild variation from this years batch.

23. KiMiRaiK

Not only did he most likely know, I'm sure he has seen this thread and yet still refuses to offer even an apology, let alone an explanation as to why the brews we paid for are basically shiat...
    But I digress... their beer isn't even that good in the first place, so I guess I don't even really care, as I don't even plan on buying anything else from them anyways.

24. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

beers aren't that good....

wat

25. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Yes, please by all means, do not ever buy any more HotD beers again. They're horrible horrible and more for me.
    Carb issues have happened before with them, and at that point i just drink the glass as if it was a wine or some other non carbonated concoction. The taste is way way better than every other brewery I drink.

Now i have to open one of mine tonight to see if i got lucky with bubbles.

26. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/20762/?ba=KiMiRaiK

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/945/?ba=KiMiRaiK

o_O

27. KiMiRaiK

Have at it buddy, glad to help.

66jzmstr and Zhiguli like this.
  28. KiMiRaiK

Lol was waiting for that to show up. I guess I'll rephrase my previous statement and say: IMO, they're not THAT good, and if I never have another HotD, I will survive... no big loss.

There are a shat ton of brews that I have rated 4.5+ and even more out there I have yet to try, w/o carb issues and poor customer service.

This is Green Flash all over again. They have decent brew, but due to no bottling dates in the past (heard they do now) I was playing russian roulette everytime I bought something from them until I finally decided it's not worth it. I'll take my business else where.

29. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

got lucky i guess. immense beer.

[​IMG]

Shmeal likes this.
  30. I recently opened a DC, my first HotD beer, received in a trade and it was completely flat. Still delicious and ridiculously complex, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed. For what it's worth my bottle was purchased directly at the brewpub.

31. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

I've had a couple so far - both flat, and kinda murky but not nearly as muddy as what I'm seeing in your pic. Carbonation issues suck :(

32. Something I'll never understand. If I buy a bottle of wine that is corked, cooked or oxidized I can bring it back for a refund or exchange. Someone besides the retail customer should be on the hook for stuff like this. HotD isn't going to take any accountability beyond a show of goodwill. The beer is sold, their view is clearly that "some bottles lack carbonation". If they were drowning in returns/credits going back up the chain, I imagine they would react differently.

33. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm not sure how much of a given that actually is in the wine world. A defective wine at a restaurant can be sent back, but I'm not actually sure how amenable retailers are to it (can't say I've ever tried). When it comes to wines with some age on them, I absolutely wouldn't expect to be able to return a bottle that had deteriorated (i.e. over-oxidized, rather than corked).

It's also unclear precisely where you draw the line between defective vs sub-standard. Corked wines are defective. Infected beers are defective. Is under-carbonation a defect in the same sense or just a shortcoming of the beer? What about murkiness? (Again, some bottle of wine have lots of sediment in them, but I would never imagine I could return a wine on account of it.)

34. Absolutely agree if we are talking about something aged, one knows the risks. This is a beer that was just released and we can see photographic proof that there are carbonated bottles which look great. I don't think it is too big a stretch to call the flat bottles flawed. I felt the same way about the flat Port Hop 15 from last year. I have taken back flawed wines to retailers and have found that if you explain to them why you believe it is flawed, (corked, cooked, oxidized) they will happily take it back. I'm certain the credit process goes back up the chain to the winery or importer.

I don't expect this to ever happen with beer, but it does mystify me why the retail customer is the one who is out the money for the purchase and left with a defective/flawed product.

35. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Has anyone actually contacted the brewery about this problem?

I see three pages of people complaining about the product but no one that has actually told Alan they have a problem and want a refund. Dogfishipa did you email them?

36. Yes, I emailed them and sent a message through their "contact us" on their website. Apparently Alan sent something out on twitter, but I am not on twitter so I don't know what it said.

This thread got a little larger than expected. I was more curious to see if others were having a similar issue (which obviously they are) and to warn people that are planning to age these for years. You would think they would have the retailers pull the product off the shelf if they cared about it? That's just me. I am not looking for a $10 refund. I would have returned my 2nd without opening if I wanted my money back. Just trying to prevent others from a huge let down after sitting on a flat bottle for 3 years.

37. whiskey

Just cracked one and it's totally flat. I bought 3 too. :mad:

38. KiMiRaiK

DO NOT buy 2011 Cherry Adam of the Wood or Bourbon Fred of the Wood. Both are oxidized and completely flat. Just warning you in advance in case you were planning on buying them.

39. whiskey

I thought 2011 Bourbon Fred was an intentionally non carbonated beer.

40. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

FYI the Bottleworks Matt I hear is flat. I had the 2010 and it has low carbonation but is good for the style.

The 2012 Bourbon Fred was delicious with robust carbonation. The 2012 Cherry Adam has low carbonation but sufficient and good for the style, fantastic beer.

I had the 2008 and 2009 Fred From the Wood, both had carbonation and both unique and complex. Both had a fruity quality but oddly enough in a very good way. The 2009 had more fruit, I thought the 2008 was superior. I hope they bottle more of this stuff but I fear that it has been displaced by the bourbon version; don't get me wrong the bourbon version is great but I'd like to have more of the Fftw.

As always with Hotd they are known for their extreme bottle variation so YMMV.

By the way, we need a cheat sheet for all this stuff.

KiMiRaiK likes this.