2012 Doggie Claws

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Dogfishipas, Dec 28, 2012.

1. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

It wasn't. It's lack of carbonation is the reason it was sold a much reduced price. Carbonation is a consistent problem for the brewery.

2. whiskey

whiskey Savant (375) California Feb 25, 2012

Ok. So the 2 2011 Bourbon Fred's I bought at the brewery are known to be flat and just accepted as such now. Crazy.

3. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Don't know if that's true or not, but was it intended to taste like cardboard. Go ahead and buy it if you want, I'm just letting you know my experience so you don't pay a ridiculous price for garbage like I did.

4. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

HoTD beer sucks just as often as it doesn't. Defies all common sense when it comes to a business model.

5. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Did you get it at the vintage beer sale in November? Alan told everyone in 2011 that they weren't carbed. It's a shame if they don't tell anyone anymore. In my opinion, there should be a disclaimer on the menu for all of their beers that have such an issue.

6. googzoid10

googzoid10 Aficionado (130) Oregon Nov 10, 2008

The 2011 Bourbon Fred I had was flat but still very tasty. The 2012 Doggie Claws I've had have been fine, let them settle and pour slow.

(but I agree the variation is frustrating as the consumer. I'm curious what steps have/can be taken to try to identify and correct the problems)

7. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

I had 2012 Doggie Claws a few days ago. Plenty of carb in mine, though a significant amount of floaties. The 2011 Doggie Claws I had was absolutely phenomenal though, came out perfect.

8. KiMiRaiK

'12 DC was flat as water but it was so good I didn't mind. I wouldn't have cared about my '11 CAotW being flat either as it tasted amazing, but reeked of cardboard. '11 BFofW was just boozy cardboard. '11 DC was ok, '12 flat DC was better IMO.

I'm done buying their bottles, I'll try their releases on tap at the brewery only from now on. It blows my mind how a brewery that is basically just an over priced game of russian roulette, can be held at such high regard...

If it wasn't HotD and just some random or upcoming brewery, they'd be burned at the stake by now.

9. whiskey

I just stopped by for lunch and the bartender was willing to let a couple of those go(what a pal). He didn't tell me they weren't carbed and I didn't know. I just saw on a couple reviews later that people mentioned it being a non carbonated beer without mention of their intentions. So I dropped $38 on 5 12oz beers that most likely are all non carbonated, unbeknownst to me.

Yeah, I can see how that may alienate a customer or two.

10. KiMiRaiK

<-----or three.

Bought my bottles at Apex. I went in after and told the bartender about what happened and he was like "yeah you gotta watch out for those limited hotds, their kinda hit and miss with the quality." Wow, thnx for telling me that AFTER I bought them s***bag...

11. Adding a data point, I bought a bunch of 2012 Doggie Claws in Coeur D'Alene in December and the only one I've drank so far was flat, murky as a lagoon, and a big sweet mess. Shipped a few to a friend in Wisconsin and the first bottle he drank was fine

12. whiskey

Yeah, I got mine in Post Falls. On another note, I cracked a bourbon FFtW and it was pretty damn good, even flat.

13. Enoteca? The bottles I shipped to my buddy were from there, but the one I drank was from Pilgrims

14. I'm now convinced your palate is bollocks. Glad you're giving them up--more for us.

15. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I've cracked roughly 20 of 36 bottles I bought and all have been carbonated with no floaters...guess I got lucky. Still kind of nervous about my 3L though.

16. whiskey

Yep, definitley looks like a crap shoot then.

17. KiMiRaiK

Fine with me, make sure you stock up before you try one. ;)

18. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

2k11 bourbon fred tastes like flat infected cardboard

19. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

ISO: 2K11 Bourbon Fred

20. KiMiRaiK

No franch, according to grilledsquid it is your unrefined palate that is the problem, not the beer.

I blows my mind how ppl on this site defend HotD to the end, even though the brewery knowingly puts out s*** beer and instead of pulling them from the shelves like they should, they say "screw it, those idiots will buy it anyways" and carry on making the next batch of s*** beer.

I wrote them an email about my situation and the only response I got back was "sounds like you paid too much for the beer" not even an apology or anything.

Horrible quality control and customer service...

21. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

for the record 2k11 cherry adam FTW is completely flat and AMAZING.

22. KiMiRaiK

Lol the perfect review. No BS, that is exactly what i would say if asked. Though I got hints of cardboard as well, but nothing major.

Franch likes this.