1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2012 Eclipse Futures Info

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by FlssmrBrewAlum, Mar 23, 2012.

1. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I like that it's not at midnight, although I'm curious about the "only taken via website" part, does that mean through a store? That could get ugly.
  2. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

How did we do it last year? I don't even remember.
  3. stupac2

E-mails at midnight.

That almost sounds like some kind of terrible duel...
    pmarlowe likes this.
  4. I sent mine the next day and still got everything I wanted. The Grand Cru sold out first, if I remember right, I think it took about a week or 2.
  5. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Last years was very quick and painless. They did a good job.

Cheers!
  6. A Rebel Yell treatment? Hell yes! My favorite go to cheap bourbon.
  7. Can't wait if anyone needs a proxy hit me up
  8. Ugh, I can't believe it's already time. I love this beer so much and I didn't save up enough green yet.
  9. I hear that gregshead! I cannot believe it is already time to buy futures, it seems like just yesterday I was waiting around for FedEx to show up at my door with my box if Eclipse...
  10. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Even though it isn't midnight, here is a tip for everyone.

Download boomerang for gmail in firefox. You can schedule emails to be sent rather than having to be there to send it at a specific time.
    pmarlowe likes this.
  11. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (500) California Nov 10, 2007

I hate getting caught with my income down.
  12. I definitely hear you on that one. I am hoping I can get my income up before April 16th so that I can get futures this year; but if not, I will have to do a lot of trading for this year's batch of Eclipse. :(
  13. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

I love being stupid and irresponsible but I'm curious if "through the website" means that it will be an online store type deal. In which case I will laugh hysterically when they DDOS themselves if they don't have enough bandwidth.
  14. 2 of each sounds possible...
  15. Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of bottles you have to order?
  16. smaisch

smaisch Aficionado (155) California Nov 23, 2009

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do they mean by "Futures? "
  17. Doubt it. Last year I only ordered 1 bottle.
  18. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (500) California Nov 10, 2007

They mean "buy it before it's realeased."
  19. Anyone recall how the shipping costs work? Would it be smarter (i.e. cheaper) to do one large order vs. a handful of small orders among friends?
  20. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (545) California Sep 25, 2009

http://www.wine-searcher.com/futures.lml

This is in regards to wine, but pretty much helps explain it. Also Rzzzz statement is accurate too. Since your basically paying for the beer in two installments, it's spreads the load a little. It's also cheaper then retailers sell it, and you get to chose (while they last) which variant your interested in, rather then trying to find that one, or just accepting which variant you can land/find. It's a decent system, more breweries should do this imo, since the money goes directly to the brewery, and it's an infusion of cash for them, interest free.
    alwaysanswerb likes this.
  21. When they say Rebel Yell is only available via futures and at taproom does that mean no shipping, pick up at brewery? Or does it mean will not hit distrabution?
  22. Most likely. Only because it probably is much more limited.
  23. The RY Eclipse will not be distributed. There are a limited number of these barrels to work with.

Tashbrew

24. So brewery pick up only?
  25. stupac2

No, it won't be distributed. That means you won't buy it in stores. You can only order it via futures or possibly for general sale at the brewery. I'm not sure why you would think they won't ship it if it's for sale as a future. They're just telling people that this is the only time you'll be able to get it.
    StarRaptor likes this.
  26. Ive never done futures before and i thought maybe they presell them via future and are only available to pickup at the taproom. Thanks for clearing that up, im looking to order a few as long as they will ship them.
    Cheers!!
  27. Anyone remember what they were charged for shipping per x bottles? Thanks in advance.
  28. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

do people remember about what shipping was last year? Is the price break for shipping at 6 or 12 bottles?

edit: beaten to the question... that's what happens when you forget to push "post"
  29. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

Just typical ground shipping cost for the beer + box. I bought 18 bottles last year and my shipping for two boxes was around $45 to the Bay Area, I think. They'll add it to your bill for the second half of your futures order depending on whether you tell FiftyFifty if you're picking up at the brew pub or if you want it shipped. I think they only ship within CA as well.
  30. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (545) California Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, think your right on this part too if I recall correctly.
  31. For those without much background on Rebel Yell, I found this...

Rebel Yell Bourbon, 40% abv (80 Proof), $13
    Background: Rebel Yell is actually a pretty storied name from the standpoint that it was one Stitzel-Weller Distillery’s (S-W) primary brands (along with Old Fitzgerald, Cabin Still, and W.L. Weller). For more background on S-W, check out this post. After the S-W closed in the early nineties, these brands were all sold off to other distilleries and independent bottlers. Today, Rebel Yell is distilled, aged, and bottled by Heaven Hill (their Bernheim Distillery) for Luxco, a spirits company that owns Ezra Brooks Bourbon and a few other liquor and spirit brands. It’s a similar wheated recipe bourbon that was made popular by Stitzel-Weller.
    Color: Medium Gold, like over-oaked chardonnay
    Nose: Heavy sweet corn, corn oil, vanilla, and honey are the predominant notes. Candied orange, hints of dry corn husk and light hickory are also faint but present. NOTE: A healthy splash of water and time actually improves the nose a great deal, bringing out a whole lot more fruit (ripe pear and soft golden delicious apple) and lessening the crude corn assault.
    Palate: Think corn whiskey rounded by the wheat. No surprise the sweet corn and vanilla are still the major flavors. Some sweeter, golden dried fruits (golden raisin, apple, and apricots) do their best (unsuccessfully) to lift the insipid whiskey. The influence of the wood is negligible, except for a light dryness/toastiness and bitterness most of the way through the sip.
    Finish: 3-2-1……done. The faint flavors of ripe orchard fruits, sweet corn, and a kiss of honey are all that’s left. Some soapiness also.
    Overall: What struck out to me the whole time I nosed and sipped this whiskey is the irony in the name. “Yankee Whisper” would be much more appropriate since there is little character or shape to this whiskey. Actually I take that back – I like yankees and mean no disrespect, but this whiskey is anything but a yell. It’s also lacking so much in the flavor department that it makes it hard to even call it “bad”. One thing is for sure – it’s just not worth your time in the least. The price point is low, but at half the price it still wouldn’t be worth it. There are so many other whiskeys (around this price) that offer more flavor, more character, and more value
    UnknownKoger likes this.
  32. Hey, a tick is a tick.
  33. I disagree with much of that Rebel Yell review. Though I did say it is my favorite go to "cheap" bourbon. At about $10 a bottle it tastes great in a bourbon and coke or many other cocktails. I'm not going to reach for the Rebel Yell when looking for a sipping bourbon. That being said I have no idea what sort of flavors it may or may not impart on the beer, though I intend to find out.