1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2012 Founders Fest

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by kdmcguire10, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Looks like another solid lineup. Do any BA's remember what brews they poured last year? I know they had Blushing Monk, but what were their "surprises"?

2. They had KBS and Better Half. I think they also had Kaiser Cashew Mountain Brown. I could be wrong though. If the weather is good, it is a top notch event and worth going to. Not sure we will make it this year, but we are going to try.

3. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Solid lineup of what? I didn't see 1 beer listed. I'm sure the lineup will be "solid" once they announce it but so far just general info on the event with the bands that r playing.

4. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

npaauwe likes this.
  5. thebeerisgood

I don't think they release the lineup until a few days prior to the event, and they tend to hold a few as surprises. If nothing else, it's a great time, especially if the weather is nice.

6. kdmcguire10

I was more referring to the lineup of the bands. I'm sure they'll have something great. I'm really hoping they do the Cashew Mountain Brown again this year.

7. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

i'll be there!

8. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I'm trying to convince the wife to go as I really want to hit this event. All signs are looking good, can't wait!

9. npaauwe

npaauwe Zealot (75) Michigan Jan 23, 2012

10. abrummitt

abrummitt Disciple (70) Michigan Jun 11, 2010

From the CraftBeerinMI mailing list:

April 21st, beginning at 11am. Founders 11th Annual Black Party!

Cost: $10 General Public/$8 for 2012 Mug Club Members

It's our 11th annual Black Party! An all-day celebration of our darkest, richest, blackest beers!

Featuring musical entertainment from: Chamberlin, The Stereofidelics,and Oracle.

Our 11th Annual Black Party celebrates the black beers we've come to love: stouts, porters, black IPAs, etc. The event features rare and classic Founders beers, as well as some brewed just for the Black Party. Dexous will be grilling up his famed Dirty Bastard brats in the afternoon, which will be available through our deli while supplies last, of course our regular menu will be available as well. Live music begins at 6pm and goes all night. The company store will have tons of sweet Founders gear for sale, and the whole day will be an incredible experience.

Your paid admission gets you a commemorative Black Party pint glass and your first fill of Class 1 beer!! The glass is yours to take home!
    Dexous' famed Dirty Bastard brats will be available in the afternoon.

The tap list will be absurdly wonderfully stacked but will not be announced until the day of the event. Old favorites, rarities, and crazed, experimental one-offs will all be featured. Expect to see:
    *Imperial Stout
    *Breakfast Stout
    *Oatmeal Stout
    *Black IPA
    *Barrel Aged Stouts (multiple varieties)
    *Milk Stout
    *Rye Stout
    *Berzerker37.....and more!

Full details at http://www.foundersbrewing.com/?event=black-party

11. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Black Party and Founders Fest are different events.

12. abrummitt

abrummitt Disciple (70) Michigan Jun 11, 2010

Whoops... was reading this thread and saw this email pop up in my inbox at the same time...

13. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Already bought my tix today... Can you tell I'm excited??? Tomorrow will be my first Founders even other than the KBS release. These should both be GREAT events!

14. Jerry

Jerry Aficionado (215) Illinois Apr 15, 2012

Looks like I'm going. I've got a friend in Grand Rapids that's getting tickets. I've had a few Founder's brews but haven't found anything I love yet. I'm still looking forward to it though.

15. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

I know it is early yet, but any insiders have any info to add with regard to the taplist for this year's event?

Also, are we talking lines such as 'KBS is tapping at 7, so let's get in line at 6:30 to score some' (MI Winter Beer Fest) or in the past has it been more relaxed along the lines of 'let's see what they have and grab a beer off of whatever they have available when we get to the front' (DLD style)?

16. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I may be finding my way up. The taplist is not all that important to me, with Soulive on stage I would go and drink water all day. Luckily there is no reason to abstain, great beer as well as Soulive is a cant lose situation.

kdmcguire10 and MarcatGSB like this.
  17. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

Really torn as to whether to hit Founders Fest this year. I'm heading out on a 3 week road trip July 5th, so I'm leaning towards conserving money for that. While I want to see what specialties they will have on tap, the music itself isn't really my cup of tea.

18. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

After being underwelmed by their taplists on KBS day and Black Party....I will be staying home and saving my $$$ as well

I did see Looking Glass was on this evening....that may be worth it by itself!

19. cosco

cosco Aficionado (120) Michigan Dec 5, 2007

Keep
    This is nothing like a beer release. This is as much of a street festival as it is a beer event. Great music, great food, great people (more "regular" folks than beer geeks). They could be pouring CBS and 80% of the people there will not care.

You will get a wristband when you enter. You will proceed to buy beer tickets. You will proceed to the beer tent. Choose your beer and listen to some GREAT music. You may have to wait if you go to the specialty beer line but no more than 10-15 mins. They typically rotate those throughout the day and have 3 or 4 pouring at the same time. The basic beers you can get pretty much right away and are available throughout the day.

This is my favorite festival of the year for the simple fact that it isn't a beer festival.

kdmcguire10 likes this.
  20. I'm making the trek up there, it's going to be sweeeet!

21. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

After KBS day, maybe you should do water all day at Founders Fest ;)

I kid, I kid.

22. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Just so long as I don't start drinking at 9:30 the night before I think I should be fine. Water is probably still a good idea.

23. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (145) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

I had Looking Glass on tap last night, it's a pretty fascinating concoction. The base beer is there but the hops are pretty overwhelmed by the brandy which is just extremely forward on both the nose and taste.

Also, look how dramatic the color difference is (Looking glass in the snifter on the left, regular Double Trouble in the smaller glass on the right).

[​IMG]

syu3003 likes this.
  24. pippys85

pippys85 Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 15, 2011

Has anyone tried Dave's not here? Style etc.?

25. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Go get me some bro ;)

26. kdmcguire10

We'll see all you fine people Saturday. Should be a great event.

27. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (145) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Dave's Not Here is an amber ale aged in a blend of three different barrels. It was pretty malty from what I remember, with a some pretty tasty "wood" notes coming through as well.

28. EseLocoSS

EseLocoSS Savant (325) Illinois Feb 2, 2010

Just throwing this out there again. Me and another BA are riding our motorcycles up there from Chicago. Leaving around 9am on Saturday. Stopping at a few breweries on the way up until we reach Grand Rapids and then we will be hitting the fest. If any of you ride, it would be awesome to get a couple other riders in on this.

29. EseLocosSS, I don't ride but I was wondering what breweries you were stopping at on the way up from Chicago? I think me and a few buddies will be going to Bell's on Sunday because it's not too far out of the way on the drive back.

In case anyone was wondering, I ordered three tickets last night off their website and the last numbers on each of my print out tickets is 471, 472, and 473. So I would be assuming that they have sold less than 500 tickets online so far.

30. kdmcguire10

Interesting. I'd guess most of the ticket sales were in the taproom or walk up. Thought I read they had 5,000 last year.

31. EseLocoSS

EseLocoSS Savant (325) Illinois Feb 2, 2010

The Livery in Benton Harbor and then New Holland. We might hit ShoreLine on the way back on Sunday.

32. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Absolutely cannot make the trip north from Chicago without stopping at Greenbush.

raymo55 likes this.
  33. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Sorry Founders! I love ya....but I am headed to Hoppin Frog in Ohio to load up on some BA Naked Evil! #nobarleywineingrandrapids

ChadlyG likes this.
  34. thebeerisgood

Lineup for Founders Fest...

"Beer: All of our regular favorites will be on tap, including Centennial IPA, Pale Ale, Dirty Bastard, Reds RyePA, Porter, Solid Gold, Cerise Cherry Ale. We will also be pouring Founders Fest Wheat, which is brewed once per year, just for this event! As for the specialties and firkins, those are all surprises, and will be announced as they are rotated on and off throughout the day!"

By the way, this is the first year they are putting firkins on at Founders Fest.

35. kdmcguire10

Can someone explain how they do the ticketing for the beers for this event? Is every pour a ticket and how much does a ticket cost?

36. thebeerisgood

I don't remember the exact way or cost, but I think the tickets were a buck or two each, and they had 2 or 3 different classes of beers. It's convenient in a way, but also annoying because I would imagine a large majority of people ended up with extra tickets at the end, like I did.

37. Hmm... wonder how efficient they will be about getting the word out on the specialty taps... looks like I will be spending a lot of time at the beer tent. ;)

38. kenm2118

kenm2118 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 17, 2009

Both great places. If you haven't had the Pesto Chicken Pizza at New Holland, it's a must

MarcatGSB likes this.
  39. npaauwe

npaauwe Zealot (75) Michigan Jan 23, 2012

Dave's Not Here is absolutely great. It'll probably be there. A little birdie told me that they'll have two barrels of the Looking Glass. Its the Double Trouble aged in Brandy barrels -__-. Its amazing.

Besides those Frangelic Mt. Brown will most likely be there. Its being released in bottles like a week or so afterwords.
    Therefor I doubt Cashew Mt. Brown will be there. I hope I'm wrong however for I have never tried it.

I would flip if Blushing Monk is on tap!

Whatever is there its gonna be great. I'm really excited to see Soil and The Sun! See you there.

40. kdmcguire10

Looking forward to seeing everyone there. I'm excited to see Soil and the Sun too. Going to be another great event.