Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine?

Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Subscribe now →

2012 Founders Fest

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by kdmcguire10, Apr 10, 2012.

2. duffbeer71

duffbeer71 Aspirant (45) Illinois Apr 2, 2011

Does anyone have a good suggestion as far as parking? We're camping at Van Buren State Park and will be driving in from there around 3.
  3. Jose2412

Jose2412 Savant (250) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Thinking about heading there. Although I won't be able to get there til about 6pm. Anyone thats been there in the past do they stop letting people in at some point?
  4. Jose2412

Jose2412 Savant (250) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Oh and make sure not to miss 4 Finger 5, I saw them last night and they put on a hell of a show!
  5. da_bulls

da_bulls Savant (260) Illinois Jun 7, 2012 Verified

Hey jose, I believe on their website it says they will let people in until they reach capacity. I believe that is also their policy for re-entry. Leaving for GR from Chicago in a few mins!
  6. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Anyone can feel free to post tap updates throughout the day...still thinking of shooting over there today
  7. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (470) Illinois Jan 7, 2012 Verified

i have two tickets in hand for anyone who wants them, i cant go :(

im in the burbs (downers grove)
  8. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Somebody post the god damn tap list and any "specials" they're pouring so that I can kick myself for not going.
  9. raymo55

Since no one is posting....I looked at Untappd for some check-ins. Saw the likes of Blushing Monk, KBS, Looking Glass, Devil Dancer, Better Half, and Frangelic Mountain Brown.

Start the kicking.....
  10. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

wrong, they had blushing monk but ran out @ around 6pm, kbs and better half was not there.
  11. raymo55

Hmmm...must have been some false check ins! The nerve....
    sullenbee likes this.
  12. Would be really nice to have a full report out of this. At least last year they had KBS and Better Half at one point in the night. At least it was a nice night for it, wish I could have gone.
  13. averse

averse Aficionado (170) Ohio Feb 14, 2012 Verified

KBS was on at 4 and 6 I believe. Blushing monk was also on at multiple different times. I had plenty of it. Better half was not served - standard old curmudgeon was. Other specials as others have said were Looking Glass, Devil Dancer, Linch Pin, Frangelic Mountain Brown.
  14. founder26

well I didn't get there till 4:30 and if there was kbs it was gone by then, didn't see it at 6 but maybe it was for a few minutes.
  15. raymo55

ChadlyG, pschul4 and Jose2412 like this.
  16. founder26

17. jnrjr79

jnrjr79 Aficionado (200) Illinois Feb 23, 2009

I didn't see Better Half, but KBS was most definitely there at one point.
  18. Dcv

Dcv Savant (250) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

Maybe, Founders had posted a picture on instagram of a barrel,the label on it said "Project Quince"
    adamdd likes this.
  19. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (385) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

KBS was definitely there. BH was not. Specialties were:

Looking glass
    Blushing Monk
    Frangelic Mountain
    Devil Dancer

Cask Versions:

Red's Rye with Bourbon Chips
    Centennial with ginger
  20. founder26

whatever, when I got there at 4:30 they specialty list was looking glass, blushing monk, FMB, devil dancer, curmudgeons, and 6th one was blushing monk but they ran out by then, when I went back up at 6:30 they still only had 5, and at 9 they where all out of the specialty beers.
  21. kdmcguire10

Yeah, I think you had to watch the tent closely. I got blushing monk around 4:30 and KBS was on around 6pm. Then, they put BM back on shortly thereafter.

I think they shut down the specialty line at 8pm.
  22. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

What a great time this weekend in Grand Rapids, especially at Founders Fest. Got to have a couple of glasses of Dave's Not Here (Very delicious), then at the fest I had Looking Glass, Frangelic and Linchpin (All very good, and they tasted soooo rare), and probably half of my wife's cups of KBS and Blushing Monk. :)

I had been wanting to get a taste of the firkins, but I wasn't so sure about them sitting out in 80+ weather for hours. Room temperature is one (very tasty) thing, but that's a bit on the warm side. Did anyone try the two they had? If so, how did they turn out?
  23. kdmcguire10

I did get the chance to sample the Red's Rye w/bourbon chips firkin. I thought it was absolutely delicious. They did a reasonably good job of not letting it get too warm.
  24. founder26

I also thought the reds rye w/bourbon was good, had it next to a looking glass and it wasn't a whole lot warmer. didn't get the ginger centennial, ginger is not my thing.
  25. founder26

yah I guess thats what the number 6 mystery beers where then, I know when I got up to the front of the line there was a guy behind me who was super pissed because they ran out of blushing monk and people had been cutting in line.
  26. Lansman

Lansman Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 19, 2011 Verified

There were a few people that I noticed that were getting upset about the large amount of people cutting in line. After speaking with the Founders reps on hand after the Specialty Tap lines were shut down, they commented that there will likely be some changes for next year - they were taken by surprise at the large demand for the specialty taps. I don't think they predicted the line stretching back as far as it did (to the entrance of the festival and wrapping back around at some times throughout the day). Seeing that the line took 30-45 minutes to get through, having more than one area (or having the taps served separate from the regular offerings) might make sense to help the issue of the long lines for next year.

In any event, it was a fun time, and cheers to Founders for putting on a great event!
  27. brycevolk

brycevolk Savant (475) Ohio Sep 28, 2009 Verified

Had a great time Friday night at the brewpub - Dave’s Not Here was very tasty, but I’m not sure what hops F! changed in Devil Dancer. I was getting a Belgian/spice flavor that wasn’t present last year. I was even nice enough to pay the City of Grand Rapids $30 for a parking ticket ;). (Maybe GR will send me a t-shirt!)

Saturday was a lot of fun, too, but there must have been twice the amount of people at the fest as there were last year. I was lucky enough to get some KBS, FMB, Looking Glass, and the RR Cask, but standing in line for an hour and a half sucked. The keg for BM blew about 3 people in front of me. But, what can you do?

We were the 3rd-6th people in the gate, so not being able to get the specialties until 4PM kind of screwed us. I’m certainly not complaining, and I’m very excited that F! are seeing this much growth. Maybe next year the lines can be a bit more delineated, that includes the food lines, and some, if not all of the specialities can be on at 3PM. Overall, the experience was great as usual.
  28. kdmcguire10

I too thought the line for the specialty brews was just preposterous. It was running 45-60 minutes. A big part of the reason I came was to listen to the bands and it's rather hard to do that when you have to just keep getting in line for a beer. I'd hope they could find a way to fix that next year.

That said, it was a great time. Weather was great and everything went off without a hitch.
  29. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

I was a bit surprised by the specialty lines as well. I remember last year not having to wait in line very long to get whatever. This year, I noticed people would get to the front of the line, when it was their time to order, and they had no idea what they wanted. So they would strike a conversation, ask about each beer, discuss their choices with who they were with, then order. I certainly get wanting to be judicious about what you order, but that was a big reason for the long line, and I think there was only one or two people pouring specialty stuff.

With that said, my wife and I actually met another nice couple, so we got to the end of the line, drank our regular beers until we got to the front, ordered our specialty, walked to the back to drink and chat, then by the time we were at the front again, our beers were gone. We did this 3 times, and had a really great time.

All in all though, it was a great time and pretty well run.
  30. MichPaul

MichPaul Champion (770) Michigan Jan 28, 2012 Verified

Here is kind of a cool picture of the turn out at Founders Fest posted on their Facebook. Somewhere in that mess, Founders26 and I are holding up our cups to the photographer after we spotted him. I just cannot find us though!