1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2012 World Beer Cup Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, May 6, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

BOULDER, CO (May 2012) — Brewers from around the world received awards from an elite international panel of judges in the 2012 Brewers Association World Beer Cup. The ninth bi-annual competition boasted the strongest field of entrants on record, with 799 breweries from 54 countries and 45 U.S. states entering 3,921 beers in 95 beer style categories. A 17.7 percent increase over 2010, the entries were eligible for gold, silver and bronze awards in their respective categories. Judges presented a total of 284 awards.

A detailed analysis of the entries and awards can be found in the 2012 World Beer Cup Fact Sheet (PDF).

"It's called 'The Olympics of Beer Competition' for good reason," said Charlie Papazian, president of the Brewers Association, the U.S.-based trade association that has put on the competition every two years since 1996. "The event brings together great brewers from all corners of the globe. Plus, the awards are highly regarded. A brewer who wins a World Beer Cup gold award knows that their winning beer represents the best of that beer style in the world. Congratulations to all the winners of the 2012 World Beer Cup. The Brewers Association and the proud sponsors of our event thank all participating brewers for their involvement."

Judges
    The 2012 judging panel was the largest and most international in the history of the World Beer Cup. Judges from 27 countries conducted blind tasting evaluations of the beers to determine the winners. Drawn from the ranks of professional brewers and brewing industry experts, these 211 judges came mostly from international breweries, with some 67 percent from outside the U.S. In addition to the judging panel, over 250 volunteers helped sort beer entries and steward the competition.

The judging criteria are exacting—some categories are not given the full slate of awards if the panel decides that the entries do not merit recognition.

Highlights from the competition:
    • The average number of beers entered per category was 41.
    • The category with the most entries was American-Style India Pale Ale, with 150 entries. The second most-entered category was Imperial India Pale Ale, with 93 entries. The German-Style Sour Ale category had the fewest number of entries at 11.
    • The 2012 World Beer Cup saw substantial growth of entries in the American-Style India Pale Ale category. Category entries grew 41.5 percent over 2010 to make it the largest category of the 2012 competition.
    • Additionally, Champion Brewery and Champion Brewmaster awards are given in each of five brewery categories based on the awards won by each brewery in the given size category.
    The five Champion Brewery/Brewmaster award winners are:

Small Brewing Company Category
    Brauerei Michael Plank, Michael Plank

Mid-Size Brewing Company Category
    Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Matthew Brynildson

Large Brewing Company Category
    AB InBev, Claudio Ferro

Small Brewpub Category
    Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant-Media, Iron Hill Brewery Team

Large Brewpub Category
    Pelican Pub & Brewery, Darron R S Welch

The complete list of award winners is available for download.

Presenting Sponsor Krones, and Partner Sponsors Ball, Barth-Haas Group,Sahm, Siemens and Verallia, proudly supported the 2012 World Beer Cup.

###
  2. I was wondering why the other one was locked just to start the same thread on your own....but then I saw all the great info and explanations. Cheers!
    Fitshaced and Todd like this.
  3. Not sure why starting a completely different thread was necessary, but at any rate I'm glad to see Dogfish Head getting a Silver for Noble Rot. That brewer gets a lot of crap from some people who frequent this site, but I have always admired their willingness to experiment with new styles, strange ingredients, and unusual flavor combinations.
    Hanzo, Netdigger2 and Blueribbon666 like this.
  4. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Because it should have been posted under Beer News and posted in correct format ... organizations and businesses prefer Todd and I to post news and press releases properly rather than a jumbled mess or a link to aggregated beer news sites. ;)
    Todd and Eriktheipaman like this.
  5. Rymar9

Rymar9 Savant (260) South Carolina Jan 24, 2011

Nice to see olde hickory taking home a couple bronze medals for event horizon (even though EH is better IMO than BA Boris which took home the gold) and imperial stout. Also, good to see king Henry winning a silver, but i would have liked to see it take the gold instead of Utopias. What a phenomenal beer..
    Netdigger2 likes this.
  6. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

No surprise there were 150 entries in the American IPA category or the continued growth of entries to it, just waiting for the bubble to burst. Much like every industry that hands out awards plenty of parody to go 'round. Just look @ the Oscar's and the Grammy's ,:rolleyes:
  7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Lots of Colorado breweries did well. The Bull and Bush, Dry Dock, Ska, Rockyard, Rocky Mountain, Odell, Sandlot, AC Golden, and more.
    It's also cool to see La Cumbre out of NM continuing to fly under the radar but accumulate medals.
    goosewhisperer likes this.
  8. Very cool to see the 3 golds for Iron Hill in Media, Bob and company are good people.
    mikeg531, Kaydogg and benart like this.
  9. Mattina Rossa beat out Supplication. Now if only they'd make it again and actually release it this time.

Also congrats to the Alchemist on winning a Silver for Luscious. I bet that felt good considering the background story of that beer.
    cavedave and woosterbill like this.
  10. Glad to see these guys getting some love. Odell with their IPA getting Silver, and their Double Pils getting Bronze is sweet!

Also a huge congratulations to Firestone Walker for Mid Sized Brewer of the Year!
  11. guajolote

guajolote Savant (400) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Picked up a bottle of Logsdon Peche 'n Brett on Friday. On Saturday, it wins a Gold at the WBC. As if I needed another reason to look forward to drinking it!

Also interesting to see (at least from my Oregon-centric perspective) that neither Cascade nor Hair of the Dog participated.
  12. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

Category 43: American-Style Lager or Light Lager, 39 Entries
    Gold: Coors Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
    Silver: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO
    Bronze: Michelob Light, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO

bam. Michelob Ultra edging out Michelob Light for the silver. intense!!!!
    MarkVegas, nawset, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  13. The American IPA Gald went to Kuhnhenn's, a Michigan Brewery. A hoppy beer from the North Coast. ;)
  14. Glad to see Cambridge Brewing Company take Gold with Sgt. Pepper, Congrats to will and all the brewers over there!
    UncleJimbo and trxxpaxxs like this.
  15. My sentimental self is happy that John Kimmich won Silver for "Luscious" - one of the last beers ever brewed at the Alchemist. I will save mine for a very special occasion befitting its legacy.
    cavedave, guzzle211 and avenuepub like this.
  16. I know you guys may hate me for this, but I always wish for Italy to make a bigger mark because I believe we have something valuable to add :D
  17. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

Um, ...yeah! Italy's got some crazy creative shit goin' on!
  18. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (500) California Nov 10, 2007

Where was this stuff five years ago when I was in Mexico City for a week, desperate for some craft?
    Category 7: Chocolate Beer, 34 Entries
    Gold: Házmela Rusa, La Chingonería, Mexico City, Mexico
    Silver: X-1 Chocolate Imperial Rye Porter, DuClaw Brewing Co., Bel Air, MD
    Bronze: Odin’s Raven, Alpine Beer Co., Alpine, CA
    ridelacruz likes this.
  19. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (500) California Nov 10, 2007

What's wrong with this picture?
    Category 55: Belgian-Style Witbier, 50 Entries
    Gold: Allagash White, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, ME
    Silver: Hoegaarden, Hoegaarden Brewery, New York, NY
    Bronze: La Perouse White, Maui Brewing Co., Lahaina, HI
    Category 56: French- & Belgian-Style Saison, 44 Entries
    Gold: Carnevale, The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, CA
    Silver: Saison Station 55, Hopfenstark Brewery, L’Assomption, Canada
    Bronze: Urban Farmhouse Ale, The Commons Brewery, Portland, OR
    Category 57: Belgian- and French-Style Ale, 22 Entries
    Gold: FSB Spring Brew, Front Street Brewery, Wilmington, NC
    Silver: Saison Noir, Bastone Brewery, Royal Oak, MI
    Bronze: Gift of the Magi, The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, CA
    Category 58: Belgian-Style Blonde Ale or Pale Ale, 32 Entries
    Gold: Ommegang Rare Vos, Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
    Silver: Leffe Blonde, AB InBev, New York, NY
    Bronze: Troubadour Blond, Brouwerij The Musketeers, Ursel, Belgium
    Category 59: Belgian-Style Sour Ale, 27 Entries
    Gold: Oude Geuze Boon, Brouwerij Frank Boon, Lembeek, Belgium
    Silver: Oude Kriek Oud Beersel, Oud Beersel, Beersel, Belgium
    Bronze: Fifth Element Vintage 2011, Squatters Pub Brewery, Salt Lake City, UT
    Category 60: Belgian-Style Flanders Oud Bruin or Oud Red Ale, 16 Entries
    Gold: Oude Tart, The Bruery, Anaheim, CA
    Silver: Monomoy Kriek, Cisco Brewers, Nantucket, MA
    Bronze: Oud Jeremiah, BJ’s Restaurant & Brewery - Brea, Huntington Beach, CA
    Category 61: Belgian-Style Dubbel, 39 Entries
    Gold: Leffe Brown, AB InBev, New York, NY
    Silver: Belgian Dubbel, Bier Brewery, Indianapolis, IN
    Bronze: Ovila Dubbel, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, CA
    Category 62: Belgian-Style Tripel, 57 Entries
    Gold: Westmalle Trappist Tripel, Westmalle Trappist Brewery, Westmalle, Belgium
    Silver: Nectar des Dieux, Bastone Brewery, Royal Oak, MI
    Bronze: Steenbrugge Tripel, Palm Breweries, Steenhuffel, Belgium
    Category 63: Belgian-Style Pale Strong Ale, 33 Entries
    Gold: Piraat, Van Steenberge, Ertvelde, Belgium
    Silver: Thor’s Hammer, Bastone Brewery, Royal Oak, MI
    Bronze: Prisoner of Hell, Dock Street Brewery, Philadelphia, PA
    Category 64: Belgian-Style Dark Strong Ale, 41 Entries
    Gold: Batch 333: The Velvet Fog, Sun King Brewing Co., Indianapolis, IN
    Silver: Two Tortugas Belgian Quad, Karl Strauss Brewing Co., San Diego, CA
    Bronze: Grand Prestige, Hertog Jan Brouwerij, Arcen, Netherlands
    Category 65: Other Belgian-Style Ale, 41 Entries
    Gold: Seef, Antwerpse Brouw Compagnie, Hove, Belgium
    Silver: Gauloise Amber, Brasserie du Bocq, Purnode, Belgium
    Bronze: Rhinoceros, Telegraph Brewing Co., Santa Barbara, CA

Belgian styles, GOLD
    USA 7
    Belgium 4
    Belgian styles, SILVER
    USA 8
    Belgium 2
    Belgian styles, BRONZE
    USA 8
    Belgium 2
    JEdmund and sergeantstogie like this.
  20. Awesome to see La Cumbre take home Bronze in American IPA, and Silver in Foreign Stout. Elevated IPA, and Malpais stout are tow of my all time faves. Now they just need to start canning em already!
  21. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Living in Michigan, I have never heard of Bastone or seen any of their beers. Way to represent, regardless!
  22. You need to go to Royal Oak, as they are not a packaging brewery. They have a brewpub license.
    rings likes this.
  23. Awesome to see Kuhnhenn's DRIPA win gold in the IPA category, even though it is a Double IPA. I had a 1/4 barrel of it in my kegerator about a year ago, and it was very malty and bordering on a barleywine. But I had one at the pub last week that was from a very fresh batch and it was much paler, crisper, and more hoppy. Delicious!
  24. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

+1 to dripa, i lloved it and apparently the judges did too!
    cosmicevan likes this.
  25. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

This is what I was thinking - that it is really malty/boozy and was surprised how well it did. Must have been a good batch.

Anyway, props to Fat Head's for the silver in American IPA and Battle Axe for getting a Baltic Porter gold.
  26. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

This is hilarious. Because you can copy and paste better, LMFAO:rolleyes:
    unclejazz likes this.
  27. Two Tortugas actually won an award???
  28. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Advocate (650) New York Mar 5, 2010

Sgt. Pepper gets a gold? Not surprised at all. That beer is incredible. Way to go CBC!!
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  29. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

La Chingonería is a brewery that has been in the market only for three years, Házmela Rusa was the first beer they brewed.
  30. ninner00

ninner00 Savant (280) Ohio Mar 5, 2010

Wow way to kick it Fat Heads!

Category 29: Baltic-Style Porter, 28 Entries
    Silver: Battle Axe Baltic Porter, Fat Heads Brewery, North Olmsted, OH
    Category 88: American-Style India Pale Ale, 150 Entries
    Silver: Head Hunter IPA, Fat Heads Brewery, North Olmsted, OH
    BB1313 likes this.
  31. Concur wholeheartedly - this brew is fantastic, and the fact that the tank was bobbing against the ceiling gives it a great storyline. I love Iron Hill RIS, and I'm happy to see Luscious get some well-deserved recognition, but it should have taken gold!
  32. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

awesome. filled up a growler of it last weekend when I was up there!
  33. Category 44: American-Style Premium Lager or Specialty Lager, 37 Entries
    Gold: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
    Silver: Evans Original, Cervecería Mexicana, Corona, CA
    Bronze: Icehouse, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

OE800 Ice was robbed.
  34. It was easily one of my favorite beers of last year and sort of re-kindled my love for the style after being burnt out on it for a while.
    cavedave likes this.
  35. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Category 78: Scotch Ale, 51 Entries
    Gold: Wee Heavy, Dry Dock Brewing Co., Aurora, CO
    Silver: Way Heavy, Pizza Port San Clemente, San Clemente, CA
    Bronze: Cold Smoke Scotch Ale, Kettlehouse Brewing Co., Missoula, MT

Dry Dock Wee Heavy FTW! I've been recommending this beer ever since it's come out, my favorite Wee Heavy by far.
  36. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Hoegaarden from NY? I don't think so. While owned by AB InBev, Hoegaarden is still brewed in Belgium from what I understand.
  37. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WBC12-Winners-List.pdf

Results by State:

California: 55 (total)
    San Diego County: 16 (with another 4 in Orange County by Pizza Port San Clemete, based in SD)
    Colorado: 26
    Oregon: 13
    Washington/Wisconson: 9
    Michigan: 7
    Illinois/Massachuttes/Montana: 4
    North Carolina/Indiana: 3

I love numbers, polls count for nothing for best states/regions/cities when hard numbers clearly show who's on top.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  38. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

What's the breakdown by county for Colorado?
  39. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Beats me, click the link and look it up. It's a pdf and I simply used a tally sheet with tick marks. I live in San Diego so I know which breweries are where, but I don't know CO and it's not broken down by anything other than city/state.

The CO results also includes a lot of Macro crapola, but medals are medals.
  40. ggfunk likes this.