1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2012 World Beer Cup Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, May 6, 2012.

1. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Lot of beer in CA, and a lot of it is crap BUT the cream always rises to the top. Lots of BMC on the shelves I never buy either. It's an excellent time to be living in San Diego. With 50 established breweries and another 25-30 in the works to open.. However, I do expect a lot of the newbies to fail and most are nano's.
  2. MacNCheese

Shoot, per the fact sheet Indiana should have 8 wins, not 3, but I cannot edit my OP. And Delware 5.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Good to see Washington make such a good showing, as another recent thread in the PNW forum has been discussing the level of respect we seem to get relative to California, Oregon, Michigan, Colorado etc.

Was curious about the Colorado by-county numbers since you took the time to highlight SD County, and I've seen comments on here about how a lot of great Colorado breweries are pretty densely concentrated. Turns out Jefferson and Denver Counties are on top with 7 and 6 awards, respectively (quick tally; don't quote me).

EDIT: Didn't even see this til I looked @ the fact sheet:
    Date and location
    2012 World Beer Cup judging took place May 1-2, 2012 at the Town and Country Resort in San Diego, California. Awards were presented May 5, 2012 at the Town and Country Resort in San Diego, California.

Home field advantage? It happens in the Olympics, why not in beer? ;)
  4. MacNCheese

As per my 2nd post, I don't know which CO cities are in which CO counties, I just know what's in San Diego County.
  5. draheim

6. So, they apparently allow aged beers to entered? Never would have picked Old Style as cellarable, myself...

Category 42: American-Style Cream Ale or Lager, 23 Entries
    Gold: Prestige, Brasserie Nationale d’Haiti, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    Silver: Old Style, Pabst Brewing Co., Allentown, PA
    Bronze: Milwaukee’s Best, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Pabst closed that Allentown, PA area brewery in September 2001 (later sold to Diageo, and now owned by the Boston Beer Co. and is their largest brewery).

UncleJimbo, beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  7. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

Five wins from VA
  8. I saw that yesterday. Win rate can depend on the number of entries, as does the total medals. I don't think that the USA, Germany and the Czech Rep make bad beer even though they have a low win rate.

Edit - as far as the home field atvantage, it would motivate the breweries to enter.
  9. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Stupidest thing I have heard in awhile. There were judges from all over the US and the world for this event. Maybe 5 from San Diego? It's also a blind tasting so how would they know if it was made in San Diego or South Dakota? Haters gotta hate I guess.
  10. MacNCheese

Actually, all beer, including local, had to be first shipped to Denver to be registered before it was returned to SD. If you believe in damage due to transit...CO breweries had the advantage as they only had to be shipped once.
    Beerandraiderfan and beertunes like this.
  11. MacNCheese

Is this why San Diego cleans up at GABF, which is held annually in Denver?
  12. draheim

You're welcome. Only reason I mentioned this was because the OP singled out SD County. Got no hate for SD County, it's more kinda like, we know already.
  13. I had that the beers go to the BA in Boulder, but deleted that. I knew people would say OMG - CO homers advantage!

SD breweries did well at the last WBC in Chicago.

I think that Sierra Nevada did will with medals for 4 production beers, bottles pulled off the shelf. No one offs or special handling.
  14. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

another great job for Pizza Port OB and the rest of the PP family. I am glad Tarantulas 2.0 won a medal, that is my go to beer during their lunch specials.
  15. Probably has a lot to do with Belgium have just barely 100 entries and the US having 2,651 entries. That and the spirit of competitiveness is much greater in the states than in Belgium.
  16. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Gee golly, where's all the Asheville Breweries medals? Oh, right...
    ColForbinBC likes this.
  17. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

The owner of a local brewery that had beer entered left to deliver his beers for this during the week after St. Patrick's Day. He took the beers of about 20 other local/regional brewers with him, and stopped to pick up more on the way. So for all the folks here who won't drink an IPA more than a couple weeks old, at least some of these beers were sitting in Denver for more than a month before the judging for the awards, didn't seem to affect the quality too much.
  18. Lagerboy

Lagerboy Disciple (55) California May 11, 2012

Pathetic self promotion here, but still super stoked to see our little brewery win gold! Nice to get rewarded for all the hard work...

Category 74: Brown Porter, 42 Entries

Gold: Double Nut Brown, Mammoth Brewing Co., Mammoth Lakes, CA ;)
    Silver: Poundage Porter, Sound Brewery, Poulsbo, WA
    Bronze: Chocolate Porter, Bayhawk Ales, Irvine, CA
    beertunes likes this.
  19. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

This also explains the US State medal distribution to some extent. For example, for whatever reasons, not many New England breweries enter the World Beer Cup or GABF.
  20. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

Saw this posted by Stephen on Bine & Vine's facebook page:

Congrats to our terrific San Diego county breweries for pulling in 16 medals tonight 5 gold, 3 silver, and 8 bronze.
    Medal Winners from SD County: AleSmith (2), Green Flash (2), Lost Abbey (2), Pizza Port Ocean Beach (3), Pizza Port Carlsbad (2), Karl Strauss (2), Alpine, Manzanita, and Rock Bottom La Jolla

Not bad.
  21. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (325) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

Happy to see Alpine's Odin's Raven get a bronze in the Chocolate Beer category. Alpine never seems to get any love at these competitions, can't believe Bad Boy and Hoppy Birthday did not do better.