1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

2013 Bigfoot impressions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by joakley, Jan 27, 2013.

1. joakley

joakley Member

What do you think of this years offering? I think this is the most balanced best tasting one yet.
    EConnOG likes this.
  2. harrymel

harrymel Member

That doesn't surprise me, there were some major overhauls to the recipe. ;)
    iwantmorehops likes this.
  3. Brandywine

Brandywine Member

Really? Like what?
  4. harrymel

harrymel Member

They had some extra spices left over from the Celebration batches this year, so they added them to the Bigfoot.
  5. studad

studad Member

First year I've had it and i was a little disappointed. Not much of a mouth full and a bit watery. Also thought that the ABV was a little low for a BA barleywine. Kinda weak for this style. I liked Old Numskull much better. Had much more flavor and body imo.
  6. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Member

Big
    Is that the Bigfoot or the Ba Bigfoot?
  7. 510a

510a Member

Love this years Bigfoot, though much more sessionable than most barley wines. No mstter, keep beasting on the Bigfoot.
    DogfishTail likes this.
  8. studad

studad Member

My bad, straight barleywine
  9. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Member

Yeah its on point, not thin and artificial tasting at all. I find it to be as delicious as always. My how I love Bigfoot.
    WassailWilly and EConnOG like this.
  10. redmagik99

redmagik99 Member

big, brash, yet beautiful beast. best widely available american barleywine period.
  11. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Member

I drank a 2013 side-by-side with a 2009. The 2013 seemed unreasonably bitter. I found Hog Heaven to be considerably more drinkable.

That said, I have has 22-year-old Bigfoot, so I know what potential lies within.
  12. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Member

I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.
    FarmerTed and chocosushi like this.
  13. Bay01

Bay01 Member

Gah! The under/over was 5 posts, I took the under.
  14. drocpsu

drocpsu Member

You've had a 22 year old Bigfoot?? Wow. That's impressive. I was thinking of opening my last bottle of 08 to compare to this years, but maybe I'll just keep aging it.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Member

I've not been disappointed with either a fresh or aged bigfoot. Keep 'em coming.
  16. dannyhipps

dannyhipps Member

It's fantastic as usual, naysayers be damned...
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  17. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

A fresh bottle was more bitter than a 5-year old bottle! More at 11!
  18. Stockfan42

Stockfan42 Member

I'm enjoying the hell outta it as I do every year.
  19. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Member

I wish I could say it was mine, but it was courtesy of a generous BA who brought it to a tasting to which I snagged an invitation (November 2011, Peoria, IL; started with 1989 and 1999 Bigfoot). If we had access to the old forum posts, I could retrieve the entire lineup.
  20. NateMac13

NateMac13 Member

Is there such a thing as aging a barley wine style too long? At what point is it at it's best? I picked up some 2013 and plan on aging some.
  21. iKasey

iKasey Member

This year's Bigfoot is definitely the best out of the last three years I've had fresh. Definitely not as boozy as before!

This weekend I'm doing a 2012 & 2013 Bigfoot, alongside a 2012 Hog Heaven, a 2012 & 2012 CW BBB then a 2008 Appalachian BC Broad Street Barleywine. Doing my own expirementing with BW.
  22. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

2006 is drinking sublime right now. Almost like a caramel port wine. Delicious. I still have one more left along with a 07' and 08'. Trying to hold off for anither year or so or the right occasion for a vertical. To answer your question, from what I understand, Bigfoot keeps going through stages every two years or so. Just have to figure out which one you prefer. I really cant answer that question. Others want to chime in?
    NateMac13 likes this.
  23. bifrost17

bifrost17 Member

Way more spices this year, pine needles added into the secondary, and I even heard that this batch was triple hops brewed!!!!!!!!!!
  24. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

I had to let this years warm up a lot for me to enjoy. The extra spices made it a little to sharp for my taste. Curious what it will taste like in a year.
  25. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Member

You can really taste the cinnamon in this year's batch...
  26. dsal89

dsal89 Member

Just finished one about 30 minutes ago (review here)

I thought it was outstanding. So, so freaking good....actually no, it is great.