1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 Bigfoot impressions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by joakley, Jan 27, 2013.

1. joakley

joakley Zealot (85) North Carolina Aug 17, 2009

What do you think of this years offering? I think this is the most balanced best tasting one yet.
    EConnOG likes this.
  2. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

That doesn't surprise me, there were some major overhauls to the recipe. ;)
    iwantmorehops likes this.
  3. Really? Like what?
  4. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

They had some extra spices left over from the Celebration batches this year, so they added them to the Bigfoot.
  5. First year I've had it and i was a little disappointed. Not much of a mouth full and a bit watery. Also thought that the ABV was a little low for a BA barleywine. Kinda weak for this style. I liked Old Numskull much better. Had much more flavor and body imo.
  6. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Big
    Is that the Bigfoot or the Ba Bigfoot?
  7. 510a

510a Savant (345) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Love this years Bigfoot, though much more sessionable than most barley wines. No mstter, keep beasting on the Bigfoot.
    DogfishTail likes this.
  8. My bad, straight barleywine
  9. Yeah its on point, not thin and artificial tasting at all. I find it to be as delicious as always. My how I love Bigfoot.
    WassailWilly and EConnOG like this.
  10. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

big, brash, yet beautiful beast. best widely available american barleywine period.
  11. I drank a 2013 side-by-side with a 2009. The 2013 seemed unreasonably bitter. I found Hog Heaven to be considerably more drinkable.

That said, I have has 22-year-old Bigfoot, so I know what potential lies within.
  12. I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.
    FarmerTed and chocosushi like this.
  13. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Gah! The under/over was 5 posts, I took the under.
  14. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

You've had a 22 year old Bigfoot?? Wow. That's impressive. I was thinking of opening my last bottle of 08 to compare to this years, but maybe I'll just keep aging it.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

I've not been disappointed with either a fresh or aged bigfoot. Keep 'em coming.
  16. It's fantastic as usual, naysayers be damned...
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  17. A fresh bottle was more bitter than a 5-year old bottle! More at 11!
  18. I'm enjoying the hell outta it as I do every year.
  19. I wish I could say it was mine, but it was courtesy of a generous BA who brought it to a tasting to which I snagged an invitation (November 2011, Peoria, IL; started with 1989 and 1999 Bigfoot). If we had access to the old forum posts, I could retrieve the entire lineup.
  20. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

Is there such a thing as aging a barley wine style too long? At what point is it at it's best? I picked up some 2013 and plan on aging some.
  21. This year's Bigfoot is definitely the best out of the last three years I've had fresh. Definitely not as boozy as before!

This weekend I'm doing a 2012 & 2013 Bigfoot, alongside a 2012 Hog Heaven, a 2012 & 2012 CW BBB then a 2008 Appalachian BC Broad Street Barleywine. Doing my own expirementing with BW.
  22. 2006 is drinking sublime right now. Almost like a caramel port wine. Delicious. I still have one more left along with a 07' and 08'. Trying to hold off for anither year or so or the right occasion for a vertical. To answer your question, from what I understand, Bigfoot keeps going through stages every two years or so. Just have to figure out which one you prefer. I really cant answer that question. Others want to chime in?
    NateMac13 likes this.
  23. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Way more spices this year, pine needles added into the secondary, and I even heard that this batch was triple hops brewed!!!!!!!!!!
  24. I had to let this years warm up a lot for me to enjoy. The extra spices made it a little to sharp for my taste. Curious what it will taste like in a year.
  25. You can really taste the cinnamon in this year's batch...
  26. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Just finished one about 30 minutes ago (review here)

I thought it was outstanding. So, so freaking good....actually no, it is great.