1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 Bruery Initiation Party tap list

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by pmarlowe, Feb 19, 2013.

1. How early is everyone showing up? Will there be a line? Or are they letting people in as they get there? I didn't want to show up at 12:00 and be waiting in line to get in.
  2. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

If "100% of the proceeds" go to charity, why isn't this event cheaper? Or free like it used to be. I'm all about helpin out the community, but lots of people paid a lot of money to join this beer club it shouldn't be at their further expense if it doesn't has too. I always thought they needed the dough to hold the event, i dont think this event should be used for charity just because they know folks will pay.

At least make the dd tix like 5 bucks in that case...
    cocoapuph likes this.
  3. Show up at noon. There will be some lines initially, but plenty of beer to go around and no lines after a bit.
  4. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

I'll be wearing a blue Dickies style work jacket with a Pfeiffer Beer patch on it.
  5. PMR

PMR Savant (285) California Mar 31, 2005

This is a very expensive event to put on, and 100% of the beer is donated to the event as well as the labor from The Bruery to put this event together. We have to pay for the event space, food, labor (both Bruery and non-Bruery employees), rentals, etc. The DD tickets include food, and our food cost is a lot more than $5 per person.

The Boys and Girls Club has helped us organize this event, provided volunteers, and access to the one day ABC license. The profit (or proceeds) goes to the Boys and Girls Club, and that profit / loss greatly varies based on if 700, 1000, or 2000 people bought tickets as there's a significant fixed cost to overcome before any profit is made.

Rest assured the Boys and Girls Club of Santa Ana will receive a nice contribution from the event and RS / HS members will be to thank for giving this great organization more resources to help at risk youth.

Look forward to seeing you all today!

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery
    huadog, Pecan, Retsinis and 24 others like this.
  6. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

You mean you're not already in line? Most of us spent the night.

If you show up between 11:30-noon, you'll be waiting in line. Show up at 12:15 or 12:30 and there won't be a line.
  7. Scalene

Scalene Aficionado (130) California Jul 21, 2005

Not true. Line is still quite long. Starting to regret spending $50 to wait in line
  8. KevSal

while the meaning of proceeds vs profit is debatably, its sure as shit more important that the head honcho cares enough to hit me up with a response. right on patrick
  9. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

initiation into what?
  10. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

I'm very much enjoying myself right now. Great beer. Acceptable to no lines
    (except for food). Nice weather. Sort of enough seating. So far it's great! thank you Bruery!
    pmarlowe likes this.
  11. 1:32 and I am down to 4 tasters.

I can't help it if the rest of you suckers are leaving no line to Grey Monday.
    HopsintheSack likes this.
  12. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Jealous....hope y'all have fun. The list look pretty redonkulous....i know lots of you guys have had lots of those beers before but for me that's a dream....AZ Beer week here and was at The Bruery last weekend so i guess i'll have to make it to the Barrel Party.
  13. djaeon

I applaud the veggie sandwich option, but wish it was on the menu. Until I saw other people eating it, I thought there would be nothing for my wife. However, the veggie sandwich was actually pretty delicious! (I tried a bite:)
    Retsinis likes this.
  14. Agreed, we heard about it second hand and too late.
  15. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

Fuck yeah man. Having a great time!

[​IMG]

Woot!
    usofar and Penguin3200 like this.
  16. Scalene

Scalene Aficionado (130) California Jul 21, 2005

Retract some of my whine. Everything was smooth once getting in. Lots of great beers and food was decent.

Worth $50 on top of membership? Not so sure.
  17. Up the tasters or pours and then it would be worth the cost. Right now? It wasn't worth the price of admission unless you never had typical Bruery beers (2.5 oz at that).

And why did they think a cask of Smoking Wood was a good idea? And on top of that Chipotle? Disgusting.
  18. djaeon

Totally worth it for me. The wife andI had a great time! :)
  19. heatwaves

I too was surprised that there was still a line after 12:15. I had a blast, but I definitely liked the "two-session" format better. I'm not going to hide my sense of absolute entitlement... I was greatly disappointed that Oude Tart with Boysenberries and Sour Blond with Pop Rocks kicked in less than an hour.

JasonFromLA... Smoking Wood w/ Chipotle was, in the words of my wife, "just plain offensive." :D Wanderer, on the other hand, was pure magic.

We still had a great time and appreciate all of The Bruery's hard work, but we preferred last year's format a bit better.
  20. heatwaves

For anyone that had the opportunity to try them, how was Oude Tart with Boysenberries and Sour Blond w/ Pop Rocks?
  21. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

Amazing ... OT w/ B Berry was the toppick for the day... Better then the HS selection
  22. KevSal

wht where the hs selections?
  23. salzar

SiTR w/ Peachese, Melenge 8, Sour resling belnd, BA 2tD , BW, BT PB+cocoa, whiteoaksap+cherry
  24. Thoughts?
  25. salzar

Melenge 8 was coffee added to M3 if I remember, SiTR w Peaches was mild compared to the SiTR w/ strawberry I made last weekend, Not very impressed with the resling blend, WOSap+ cherry was like cough syrup. The OT + berry was the winner of the day
  26. IPAyForHops

IPAyForHops Savant (270) California Apr 24, 2010

27. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Am I an idiot or was Mocha Tuesday the best variant of all time? Chocolate Rain ain't got nothing now...
  28. salzar

Coffee blends are easy to make at home...

I tend to have large variety of coffee on hand since I roast my own...
  29. djaeon

Mocha black Tuesday is what all coffee should taste like;) the winner today for me was definitely white chocolate. I hope to be able to buy more of that at some point this year. I also really enjoyed snicklefritz. The only beer I didn't really like was the anniversary cask.
  30. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

I think melange 8 does not have Black Tuesday in it. It's is white oak sap and anniversary ale with panamanian coffee from portola on it. I believe the coffee is elsmerelda or don pachi?
  31. So I drove in from NorCal, got there about 1:30 due to crappy I5 traffic but the wife and I still had an awesome time. Beer of the day for me was Grey Monday, my wife really enjoyed Griffon. Bummed I missed the Wanderer and the OT with boisenberries. The mocha BT was freakn outstanding as well. That said the smoking wood with chipotle was an abomination. It's almost as bad as ghost face killah. Food was good, those beans were on point!
  32. drewone

drewone Advocate (720) California Sep 18, 2006

Oh that was weird - asked Patrick about it and his guess (yes, he wasn't 100% sure) was that is was 2014 Anni non solara (sp?) fresh from fermentor than put into that cask that had 5GR - very spicy - my lowest rated beer of the day.
  33. I'm guessing they won't be on here, but huge thanks to the hoarder who was nice enough to give my girlfriend a hoarder ticket. We really enjoyed the riesling blend we got with it.
  34. Two surprise hits: Griffon and Imperial Red
  35. Funny I most excited to try the OT with boisenberries, but did not really care for it. I thought the fruit seemed to reduce any sort of sourness to almost nothing. More of a tart fruit beer.

I also didn't care for the mocha BT either. My least favorite variant so far.

I spent most of the day enjoying grey monday and SitR with peaches. Really really enjoy that SitR with peaches.
    AdamSimpson and jp7161 like this.
  36. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Yes I have had homemade versions multiple times, but not with cacao nibs. And that doesn't make this cask any less phenomenal. If they were looking for a new variant to bottle, this is it. Unless, of course, they finally do a coconut version. I know you guys are reading this... I'll be mailing in my letter of recommendation for a Coconut version soon...
    huadog and drewone like this.
  37. drewone

drewone Advocate (720) California Sep 18, 2006

Totally impressed with ILR (but I am a hophead:)

Also a general shout out to the bruery for another great and very smooth event
    HopsintheSack likes this.
  38. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I figured this would be the best place to ask - I'm looking for the Bruery Reserve Society taster glass that was given out this year with the membership. I'm actually a member but my trustee, who I split the membership with, is keeping ours.

Not everybody is a huge glassware collector so I figured I'd offer up some good midwest beers for one (Including things like Black Note). If you're interested, BM me.
  39. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (195) California Jan 10, 2011

I thought SitR Peaches was incredible. The Oude Tark cask was amazing, Mocha BT, Sour w/Pop Rocks, Melange #8, Reisling, all superb in my opinion. The worst for me were the SW with Chipotle, Anniversary in Rum Barrel, and Black Tuesday with Peanut Butter Cask. On another note, something was wrong with The Wanderer. It was waaaay to foamy and tasted extremely watered down....like ice had been added and melted in it. Very disappointed in it. Overall though, I had a blast and enjoyed sharing tasters with people and at least letting them try the Hoarders stuff that they couldn't get
  40. SUBER

SUBER Aficionado (210) California Jan 26, 2013

Awesome event had a blast!
    Very smooth, and being first year member, very pleased with the event(its goin to a good cause)
    I only heard one person break their glass the whole event..:eek:

The wanderer was great, got there before they had carb problems..
    Mocha BT on cask was my favorite..perfect serving temp, could smell what you are tasting...
    2011 SITR, GB, GM, sour blonde w pop rocks were awesome also!
    Never got anything from station 1 tho...
    Glad my DD gave me 4 of his tasters so I can try more(and get home in one piece)

LOve my sweatshirt too :cool:
    djaeon likes this.