1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 Bruery Initiation Party tap list

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by pmarlowe, Feb 19, 2013.

1. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

I heard that glass break. So sad.

2. I saw 3 glasses get broken.

thedirtyname likes this.
  3. Event was super fun. I met a lot of really cool people. I was pleasantly surprised at the wide demographic that this event drew, which I usually find to be a little more one dimensional. For me, the beers were either super hits, or flops, but hey, that seems to be The Bruery's thing.

Things I was super excited to try and let down.
    -Oude Tart w/ Boysen
    -Mocha BT (good/ok, but was expecting more
    -Fruity Pebbles Notten (HORRIBLE)

Things that lived up to expectation
    -Griffon
    -SitR w/ Peaches
    -Grey Monday
    -The Wanderer (Personally, noticed slight start of oxidation. Not offensive, but I would drink now if you have)

Favorite of the night
    -Pop Rocks Sour Blond

I thought the pop rocks would be pure novelty, but it was so damn tasty.

BTW, does ANYONE like Smoking Wood? I gagged at Smoking Wood with Chipotle.

luwak and jtmartino like this.
  4. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

I didn't bother with the chipotle version (hate chili flavors), but I like Smoking Wood a lot (that sounds too dirty, lol). The BBA version is great. I have a growler of Rye Smoking Wood in the fridge now that I'm looking forward to getting into later.

5. I love it. I also liked the Chipotle version, but wouldn't want more than a couple of ounces. I regularly split a bottle of Smoking Wood with my wife. I realize that I'm in the minority here.

6. I love bottled Smoking Wood. I hated the chipotle variant though.

It was a great event. Very well organized. Well worth the drive and the ticket.

7. Great time yesterday. I missed out on some beers that I really wanted to try (namely The Wanderer) but no worries.

8. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (220) California Nov 22, 2010

I liked the Smoking Wood w/chipotle, but then again I like the base beer and generally like pepper infused beers. I also really liked the peanut butter BT (that, along with the melange 8 and mocha BT were my favorites), but I don't think it was popular with too many others. My wife couldn't make it at the last minute so they ended up giving me 2 wristbands. I was thrilled at the time, but am regretting it now.

jp7161 and thedirtyname like this.
  9. Undrinkable:
    Mocha BT (too much coffee and no chocolate)
    Anniversary in 5GR barrels (FLAT)
    Coton (Oxidized)

Unexpected good:
    Griffon
    White Oak Sap

Always good
    Melange 3
    Fruet

All the others I had were what I expected.

10. Seconded. Mocha BT was a disaster.

11. I wasn't there yesterday but that was my experience with the Coffee Vanilla BT they did a while ago. I got little to no vanilla and completely too much coffee. They seem to go a bit overboard with coffee in their beers, as that Portola Rossi experiment was the same, all coffee. Maybe I don't enjoy those beers because I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do enjoy many other beers with coffee. Beers like Speedway and Victory at Sea do a great job of integrating coffee with the other flavors.

12. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

All landed in Dallas safe and sound.

PMR likes this.
  13. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Fun event & well planned. Besides the kicking of 3 beers in 45 min and the Haven crew being weird about me asking for foil to wrap a sandwich up. "what do you need it for" followed by "no we didn't bring any foil or plastic wrap" then "yeah we are running low on plates too".
    As a chef that has done heaps of catering...those are three things that you should always carry plenty of... Not a big deal, but rookie mistakes IMO.

usofar likes this.
  14. They should carry more Mac and cheese too. The spoon full I got didn't cut it.

AdamSimpson likes this.
  15. crusian

16. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

It was a great event. My favorites were the Oude Tart with Boisenberries, Mocha BT, and Grey Monday. I was in line when they ran out of the Sour Blonde with Pop Rocks. Bummer. It was also cool to see Patrick walking around and talking to everybody. I chatted with him for a few, and his favorite was the Mocha BT, go figure.

17. t0rin0

t0rin0 Champion (820) California Dec 30, 2006

Here is my not so professional criticism:

Pros:
    -very smooth considering how many people there were. Most of the lines moved pretty quickly.
    -plenty of new beers and classics, nice mix.
    -the markings on the glass for 2.5 and 5 oz.
    -perfect weather.
    -parking was surprisingly not bad.
    -the Phoenix club people were really on top of refilling the water.

Cons:
    -that line to get in.
    -Haven. My sandwich looked nothing like the ones I saw that were made earlier in the day. Stingy on the meat and mac and cheese to the point of being ridiculous.
    -make more than 5 gallons of a special beer if you're going to serve it to 1000 people.

Suggestions:
    -move volunteers around to anticipate where the crowds will be and when. Get 10 people doing the check ins for the first hour and then take most of them and move them to other places once everyone is inside.
    -get rid of Haven and bring back Beachwood for food and get some of the volunteers to help serve food. There should have been 3 or 4 lines for food around 1:30.
    -consider making more of that Riesling sour.

Over all I had a great time. Nothing will top the first RS party but this wasnt far behind and definitely an improvement over the last two years. Also, I will volunteer to work this next year if the Bruery needs help.

18. Pecan

Pecan Savant (435) California Dec 20, 2012

Like most people, I have to say that this event was pretty incredible. My first RS event, and I can now definitely say I am more than satisfied with the purchase. I was pretty worried when I rolled up a few minutes late and noticed a giant line (which I did NOT use the crutches to cut in, in case people following the other post are reading), but as soon as we got inside the gate, everything went super smooth.

Of the beers, my top 3 were Grey Monday, Mocha Tuesday, and Chocolate Rain. Grey seemed unbelievably flawless in flavor transitions, landing it the top spot. Mocha was definitely heavy handed on the coffee, but pleasantly so. Chocolate Rain was also strong in the chocolate flavor and didn't transition as well as the Grey, however that's like criticizing a model for having pointy elbows.

I even got a chance to chat with Rue for a few minutes towards the end. I'm sure he had more than his fill of talking to less-than-sober people during the day, but still made conversation as the whole thing was closing down. I was really impressed with the entire Bruery crew that put this event on, all focused on actually helping make sure people had a good experience.

Being impressed didn't end there either... I went by the brewery itself to pick up allocations today and was treated to the same helpfulness from the girl dealing with pick-ups in the back. Cherry on top of the fantastic visit!

19. Did anybody see that staff member wearing the pink sunglasses? Dude literally fell into me by the outdoor beer truck, walked behind the truck, puked, walked out like nothing happened. Homeboy was doing it live.

BrewtifulMind and jtmartino like this.
  20. True, but isolated and he was removed.

21. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I really enjoyed the Mocha BT. The Griffon was pretty nice as well. The Chipotle Smoking Wood had the effort, but...meh. And as always, love me the 2 Turtle Doves & Coton.

22. 2beerdogs

So much smoother than 2 years ago. A really nice time.

23. 2beerdogs

I think it is soooo cool of you guys to choose a local charity, especially one like The Boys and Girls Club. An event like this is a BIG BONUS, or shot in the arm, to their programs.

Thanks Patrick et al.

24. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Oh hell yes. It's a fantastic beer.

25. crusian

Now, I can get it working. My "Luggage" arrived all fine in Dallas.
    Had fun, thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

JustXBeer likes this.
  26. The Bruery should come be the VIP beer supplier for the Bocce Ball tourney for th boys and girls clubs. I could enjoy a nice light sour while throwing my balls around ;)

27. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I don't remember there being a glass given out with memberships. Unless you are specifically talking about the glass from the initiation party.

28. Cheers to Patrick and the bruery crew for an incredibly well ran event. Despite huge masses of people, I never had to wait in line longer than five minutes, and there was plenty of space to spread and chill out while enjoying the rather remarkable beers available.

Melange 8 and SitR with Peaches were so damn good that I almost regret choosing the RS over HS ... Almost. Those were two spectacular beers. The White Oak Sap in the Melange 8 forms such a nice canvas for the great Portola coffee flavor similar to the way it showcases chocolate and vanilla in White Chocolate. Speaking of White Oak Sap, that beer itself is one of the Bruery’s best and I really wish they’d bottle it. I asked one of the bruery guys if they have any plans to bottle it and he said that they didn’t because it’s “too rich”. This was a strange response since they consider adding chocolate to it and bottling it a reasonable thing to do, not to mention the ostentatious richness of beers like CR.

Oude Tart with Boysenberries was whimsically delicious and had this Willy Wonka I’m eating a piece of berry pie through this magic fizzy drink type of thing going on. Revisiting Grey Monday only confirmed my initial impression that is an even boozier version of Black Tuesday with very little to add as far as new flavor. Imperial Loakal Red was the biggest surprise for me. Its robust but super balanced hoppiness was a thing of beauty and it will be interesting to see if it garners any hype once it is released in bottles.

It's funny that everyone hated the anniversary beer aged in the 5GR rum barrels so much. The actual rum barrel aged 5GR may be the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted, so aging any beer in that same barrel is not going to end well. And both experiments ended up with flat beers, which may just be a coincidence, but it is interesting nonetheless. Poor 5GR, I feel like that beer has practically ruined the Christmas beer vertical. Until 5GR, all of those beers have been at least decent and a few have been remarkable (BA 2TD and BA 4CB). Here's to hoping that bourbon barrel treatment of 5GR creates some kind of Christmas miracle this year. Finger's crossed, but I'm not expecting much. Has anyone ever added bourbon to Cactus Cooler? Probably not and for good reason.

Relieved to see that the bar for quality was set just as high as previous RS events and that the HS is not impacting the quality of offerings at these events. Griffon debacle aside (and damn that is a great beer), they seem to be managing the two different societies reasonably and equitably, which is great even though it would have been entertaining to see the proles rise up and storm the HS palace. If the subsequent HS exclusives are as good as Melange 8 and SitR with peaches, I just may have to upgrade next year.

usofar likes this.
  29. My favorite of the day...

Mochasaurus Monday!
    [​IMG]

Yes, I did blend Mocha BT, Chocosaurus Rye and Grey Monday. It was fantastic.

30. Awesome. I love how people come up with their own blends at these events.

31. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

I had a great time. Glad they checked ID's early, and let people in before the fest actually started. I arrived at about 11:15, and the line was already about 80 deep, so starting to move the line in early, or at least starting too, was a great idea they carried over from last year. For me, Melange 8, Mocha BT & SitR w/ Peaches were my highlights. I preferred the Peanut butter Bals of the Barrel party of years past, over this years BT w/ PB cask. I love PB, but this one had too much, lacked balance, for me.

Great work on the vegetarian options this year too, thank you. From the cheese, crackers, and mini pesto sandwiches in the HS area, to the large veggie sandwiches, mac n' cheese, etc. (though, & this is more the on the catering restaurants, then the Bruery, still not sure why both beachwood & Haven insist on putting pork in all of the beans. Just have beans, there is plenty of meat to go around, beans are nice protein for us vegetarians, or at least have trays w/ & w/out pork, please) anyhow though, I had no shortage of food this year though, so again thank you.

For me, 10 tasters, even at 2.5 oz is fine with me, as was pointed out to me, that still comes out to a 750 ml bottle worth of beer (of BT if you stick to the high abv beers too, which I mostly stuck to the sours, and lower abv beers myself) sadly OT w/ boysenberries ran out before I could try it, but otherwise I was very happy with what I had, and the variety of options.

On a side note, that Plentidinous imp stout on at the tasting room is quite tasty, and I enjoyed the full pour SitR w/ peaches option for HS there as well. Great way to spend a Saturday.

32. GM/Fruet blend was quite good. I wanted to try out blending with Mocha BT, but the line got too long.

33. Cbing6

Cbing6 Aficionado (155) Ohio May 15, 2011

Anniversary in Rum Barrel (formerly held 5GR)*
    Does this signify that the BA version of 5GR for the RS/HS will be Rum Barrels? Orignial RS list just says Barrel Aged 5GR.

Haven't opened a 5GR (haven't heard the greatest things about it) but wondering how Rum barrels would compliment 5GR compared to Bourbon barrels.

34. crusian

pesto is not vegetarian...
    and as a RS member, all we had was the mac and cheese... which they really skimped on. I asked for more because I was not getting anything else, and they said no. So I got one little scoop as my meal.

35. Pesto is certainly vegetarian. Ingredients: "traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil, and European pine nuts blended with olive oil, Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan cheese), and Fiore Sardo (cheese made from sheep's milk)"

It's not vegan but it is vegetarian.

Glad everyone had a good time.

Penguin3200 and Retsinis like this.
  36. crusian

Sorry man... the cheese in pesto contains animal rennet, which is an enzyme collected from the stomachs of cows, goats and lambs... hate to burst the bubble. sometimes it is better to not know.
    Actually, I just clicked the link for the parmigiano in your post, and it says calf rennet is added also.

37. Interesting. I am not a vegetarian, so this has no impact on me but is certainly interesting to know.

38. Tedious discussion on the boundaries of vegetarianism to follow in 3,2,1...

thedirtyname likes this.
  39. lymph

lymph Aficionado (180) California May 10, 2010

The Haven website lists Parm as an ingredient to their Mac And Cheese. Not sure if it was different at initiation.

40. jgap

jgap Aficionado (195) California Apr 10, 2008

My wife and I had an awesome time. Great beer, fun people, and an all-around good time. I was a little nervous at first with one session rather than multiple sessions but once we got through the entrance line, which really wasn't bad in itself, there was virtually no waiting. Well executed Bruery team!

Pecan likes this.