1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 Bruery Initiation Party tap list

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by pmarlowe, Feb 19, 2013.

1. I love stomach scrapings...

[​IMG]

Pecan likes this.
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

We showed up an hour late and had to wait in line. Surprising. Also missed the sour blonde pop rocks, wanderer and OT with boysenberries. Boo. 2011 BT was awesome, as was SitR with Peaches. Griffon wasn't anything outstanding. I really didn't like the Mocha BT as much as everyone else - I thought it was the worst variant there.

Aside from that, the drunk event staff guy was awesome - poor schmuck could barely stand up on his own. We had a good laugh after he slammed headfirst into our group, spilled most of his beer, fell on his back and never let go of his cup. Well done, sir...hopefully you didn't end up at the hospital.

Also, having 20 tasters was good, as I was able to try most things.

Food was kind of a letdown. The lines were long, the food was meh (although the beans were goooood) and I still don't know why they don't offer more options. They should give other local guys the chance to come show off their stuff rather than rely upon one vendor with only a few options that may not please everybody. I'd love to see some real BBQ guys there WITH their grills and smokers - we get that all the time at events up here.

Other than that, the beer was solid and the event was great. Really no lines, excellent weather, lots of seating and everyone having a good time.

3. Well just wanted to thank the bruery for putting on a great party
    for me the highlights were definitely the beer then the people and the food last

1) A) grey monday to start amazing
    B) black tuesday vertical and found i like the 2011 much better it seem to be aging really well
    C) surprise of the day was BA two turtle doves which was holding up amazing
    D) disappointed the wanderer ran out so quickly

2) people were great got to talk beer and so possible future trades No pushing and the lines moved really fast

3) Haven food was disappointing for sure You only had a choice of pork or beef which definitely was not good as some people are not big red meat eaters and being jewish dont eat swine. Really should have had an alternative chicken or I would have even went vegetarian if could have. Mac n cheese was like a 2 yr old small couple of bite portion and since I couldn't eat the bacon infused beans asked for a little more and was told no. All in all the food was sub-par and pedestrian. I would definitely hope next year they cater from somewhere else.

4) All in all was a great party could have used a little more time so didnt have to rush through some of the taste. Headed over to the bruery after and got a growler of the sour in the rye for this week. Thanks again to the staff.

Pecan likes this.
  4. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I went with the 20 tasters too.
    glad I did. I asked for half pours on everything too, 5oz was too much, and in some cases even the 2.5 oz was too much. Wanted to spread it around and try more things. I think the only 5 oz I drank all of was the wanderer... which, lets face it, should have been a 2.5 oz pour so more people could get some.

Trio2shine and Pecan like this.
  5. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Wish I had followed suit on the half pour thing, to be honest. I enjoyed every last drop of all of my tasters and at least half of the girlfriend's. I also was embarrassingly unaware that BT is ~20%, so at around tasters 13 & 14 it all started to catch up too quickly and I had to slow down a bit.

6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

After the initiation, I went down to Alesmith (pick up and also for more vietnamese speedway), and then to green flash, societe, and Lost Abbey Carnivale, so the half pours were more than sufficient.

Pecan likes this.
  7. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

I had a great time on Saturday. Thanks Nick/usofar for the ticket. Great weather, great atmosphere and some great tastings made an awesome day. It was my first Initiation event, and loved everything overall. I loved the venue. It was perfect in size to accomodate such a big crowd. I loved that you could either hang underneath a bench and tree or hang out in the tent, or as some people did, in the playground. I got there around 11:15 and was able to park in the parking lot. Nick and Co were already in line and luckily, our IDs were checked in advance so all we had to do was get our taster and food tickets and glass once the line started being admitted.

Sampling wise, I wanted to try beers I'd never had before. But between the 4-6 of us at the table, we were able to sample quite a lot of them, including some from the Hoarders Society area. Food wise, I enjoyed it. I like meat and beans so I was happy. That said, I wasn't sure what to expect from Haven, so I was glad to see something that appealed to me.

All in all, great event. Wouldn't have changed anything. I didn't get too buzzed or anything, but 'just right' so that I can get home (about 5 miles away).

P.S., how many Nottenroth's did you guys/girls have and what was up with Brown Creeper? Did anyone try it?

8. I was worried before the event that only having one session would make this a less than pleasant experience but they did a great job of setting it up and kept everyone moving. There were lines here and there but they would come and go and I never had to wait more than a few minutes. I was really suprirsed to be able to walk right up to some amazing beers like Grey Monday, Chocolate Rain and Griffon and not have any line at all.

The food from Haven wasn't as good as Beachwood in the past but it wasn't bad and I enjoyed my melange of a sandwich, even if I couldn't tell what was the beef and what was the pork.

9. Was this a Bruery employee?

10. Probably not an employee, but a "volunteer" for the day? Dude had a staff badge but I doubt that all 'staff' were employees.

11. I would guess if he was, he's not now.

12. mattolesh

mattolesh Savant (270) California Sep 30, 2007

He is a friend of a friend of a Bruery Employee. I think I relieved him of pouring duties by 1/130 ish.

Big thanks to everyone who came out!

13. jtmartino

Makes sense - he was pouring more down his throat than into people's taster glasses.

Great party man, thanks for hosting. Next year, more/better food please? Everything else was top notch.

14. bkratz

bkratz Aficionado (100) California Mar 12, 2009

Anyone know if the taplist is out for the anniversary party yet?

Beerandraiderfan and Carbon14 like this.
  15. So you get to drink a lot more beer if you 'volunteer' than you do if you spend $50?

Maybe next year, the consumer could get unlimited pours, and the 'volunteers' could have wristbands?

KevSal, nocturne1, Franch and 3 others like this.
  16. These young guys who try and pound 15% or above beers like coors light always end up face down in the dirt.

vacax likes this.
  17. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

I agree you are supposed to enjoy a 15% beer not treat it like a domestic light beer

18. jtmartino

Why pound the big stuff when you can pound unlimited Nottenroth? At least that's what I kept telling myself.

luwak and blguillen like this.
  19. I wonder if you were the guy I saw gargling with it?

20. jtmartino

Did he look awesome? If so, that was me.

KevSal, badb_rad, domtronzero and 2 others like this.
  21. i could have easily used 15 tasters, but the list was awesome, the beers were awesome, so no complaints here!