Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

2013 HMOG

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by pghlee, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Yeah, me too. It's always better to let her know the bad new about her having to drive me home from these kind of events.
  2. jriggins6

jriggins6 Savant (385) Colorado May 18, 2011 Verified

The 16 or 30 will be fine. the 16 is My bday so would be a real nice celebration!!!!
  3. heyta

heyta Savant (340) Georgia Jun 16, 2009 Verified

30th is not good for me. I'll still be there, but the wife will not be happy.
    kkipple likes this.
  4. bhalter8

bhalter8 Savant (330) Georgia Feb 22, 2008

I like your stones, man.
    kkipple likes this.
  5. Just tell her that HMOG, like yourself, comes but once a year!
    Mavajo, ATLbeerDog, rnorgart and 2 others like this.
  6. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (445) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

Just blame it on the money and beer that you owe me and the fact we haven't hung out since last March for you to be able to get it to me ;)
  7. heyta

shoot I knew I had a Lamvinus for you...how much do I owe you? :p
  8. I retract my original vote of March 30 and I would now prefer March 2
  9. bulletburke

bulletburke Aficionado (150) Georgia Jan 28, 2009 Verified

16th or 30th work for me, wouldn't make it if the 2nd
  10. Hmm, Im an hour closer this year. Would love to come. 16th is best...but can do any.
  11. pghlee

pghlee Savant (265) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Calculating the data and setting a date tomorrow.
    bradcochran1234 and ontherocks like this.
  12. heyta

so what's the verdict?
  13. pghlee

pghlee Savant (265) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

looks like the 30th wins out by several votes. Any arguments for or against should be submitted now. We might consider changing it.
  14. jyounger30

jyounger30 Aficionado (150) Georgia Oct 25, 2008

This guy argues against selfishly because he can't make it.
    RocPorterFanatic likes this.
  15. I can't make the 30th but I hope to see about half you cats at Brewvival the month before!
  16. With it being Easter weekend I'm surprised more people weren't against it whether being out of town or having family in town. I will be visiting family out of state that weekend.
  17. RocPorterFanatic

RocPorterFanatic Savant (335) Ohio Nov 4, 2006 Verified

I'm against it for the same reason Jay is.
  18. heyta

my wife's against it as stated before, but I don't care.
  19. ATLbeerDog

ATLbeerDog Savant (470) Georgia Nov 12, 2005

When is HFOG?
  20. kp

kp Aficionado (220) Georgia Jun 5, 2002

The night before at your house.
    bradcochran1234 likes this.
  21. I will bring the Voodoo Doughnuts.
  22. A work-related seminar has reared its ugly head for the 16th, so please, please not that day. I don't have to go, but my absence might be noted.

Thanks. Otherwise, any other viable Saturday is OK, even the 30th.
  23. petitcochon57

petitcochon57 Aspirant (40) Georgia Jan 15, 2013

Another vote for the 30th as I can't think of anything I'd rather do on Easter than drink beer. And we can all experience the sensation of rising from the dead the next day, so it will be really thematic.
    Bluecane and bradcochran1234 like this.
  24. Jus
  25. GatorBeerNerd

The "rule" has been to bring beers not available in Georgia. To accomplish that nobody has to have a rep for trading or even be able to travel. There are a ton of online places that sell beer not available in GA (Bine and Vine, France44, Leuken, Bruisin' Ales, and the Beer Exchange stores just to name a few off the top of my head) and there is no trading rep or travel needed for that. There is almost 2 months between now and the currently scheduled date to be able to order something and have it arrive.

We are taking up space at a local beer bar that likely sells most anything nice and expensive you can buy in a local store. Why would you bring something in that you could likely buy at that location when they are being nice enough to let us take over their space?
  26. blah blah blah... Donnie, it seems you've been the only one trying to establish this rule...
    I'm happy to share whatever I bring with anybody regardless of whatever they brought (unless they brought SWIPA) (and that's an inside joke, SWIPA is fine too)
    jyounger30 likes this.
  27. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (220) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

I'd be happy to try something high end even if available to GA. I wouldn't turn away another BA because they brought something available in GA, especially if they made an effort to bring something good..... Unclejedi, try me... I'd be happy to hoist one with you!
  28. I understand the reason for "the rule", it is to keep folks from "freeloading" and I know that too many exceptions renders a rule useless. But I wonder is there a way to charge a "fee" for those who arrive with only common GA beers. It seems that $10-$15 would be quite reasonable when one considers what outdoor beer festivals charge. And perhaps donate the $ to a designated charity. If anyone carps about it, they can be reminded that other folks are donating $20 - $50 worth of beer that cannot be purchased here.

I will leave it to others to try to fine-tune this suggestion (or politely remind me that it has been brought up before).
  29. You don't have to pour your beer in everybody's glass. I look at it like a trade. If you wanna taste a Pliny then you should have a Heady to back it up.
  30. GatorBeerNerd

I am not trying to establish anything. The reason why I did not attend the one in early 2009 was because I did not have anything from out of state at the time, it was the listed requirement, and I refused to be that guy. If you think I refused to share anything I have brought with anyone there in the past, then you do not know me very well.
  31. I certainly did not intend to imply anything about your approach to sharing, I was simply stating what my own was... sorry if you read it that way, I know you are a generous guy. And you should have come in 2009 regardless, I don't think anyone would have thought less of you regardless of what you brought... Truth is, we missed seeing you more than we cared about drinking whatever crazy out of state beer you could not provide. For me, that is the crux of the matter. I don't come to these things any more because of any opportunity to try rare beers, I come to these things to spend time with friends I rarely see and to make new friends. Hell I don't even look at the spreadsheet to see what I might be able to try, I am more interested in simply seeing who is coming.

The one aspect of what you are saying that I will agree with, is if someone is thinking about getting by with something expensive or scarce that is available in GA, it would be good if they would order it from BSP if possible to support them. But that is barely practical, BSP only makes a few things like this available by the bottle, and I really don't expect anyone to spring for a $75 bottle of Cantillon.
  32. heyta

So if I get this right...

If you have out of state beer

Or are unclejedis friend you can come.

Otherwise stay home
  33. huh? I'm the guy trying to say there are no rules!
    (except for any that Lee or anyone else representing BSP might make)
  34. of course, everyone is my friend (until they offer me SWIPA first thing after I've driven 4 hours to get there ;-))
    jyounger30 likes this.
  35. No. It isn't about being uppity or exclusionary. Just trying to hold on to the original idea, while being hospitable to (and flexible towards) rookies. It seems that once one has experienced their rookie HMOG, hopefully they will start making plans (trading, asking traveling relatives to bring something back from vacations, carpooling with other BAs to make beer run to an adjacent state, asking local BAs to bring you back an extra or two if they go out-of-state on a beer run,...) for the next one.

Just out of curiosity, how many people show up - having heard of HMOG 2nd- or 3rd-hand - without having read an related BA threads?

Of greatest importance, let's try not to let this conversation get out of control.

Tired, hope I am making sense. Night.
  36. kp

kp Aficionado (220) Georgia Jun 5, 2002

The Brick Store is not getting bigger, but HMOG grows every year. Since the space is limited, the price of admission (good out-of-state beer) needs to remain or Jedi will walk into a room with nothing but SWIPA. It's not that hard. Like has been said you can mail order something. Or just drive a couple of hours west, north, or east and pick up a growler or two. If that's too much effort then maybe you should ask yourself just how much of a priority it is for you to attend HMOG.
    bradcochran1234 likes this.
  37. bhalter8

bhalter8 Savant (330) Georgia Feb 22, 2008

Besides, your favorite GA IPA is Beary Hoppy Ale anyway...
  38. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (895) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member Verified

I can't make the 30th.. A friggin wedding that weekend.

I would love to come though.. I have a CCB Zhukov, BBA Big Sound, and a Nantahala Trail Magic BA RIS.. Might still have a Green Man Dweller RIS if I don't crack at it sooner.

Oh, and some 120min IPA to pass off to some unsuspecting beer noob!
  39. Good thing I got sick in 2011 or I would have been turned away with my lame collection of 1-2 year old Batch 9000, Life and Limb, and SW Dank Tank. I may just stay home and avoid having my pitful cellar selections ridiculed. I was saving an '04 Thomas Hardy for next year, but since you can buy it in Georgia, I guess it's just shit. I never brought anything that got an "ooooo" from the crowd, but I always made a good faith effort not to freeload.

Uncle Jedi sums up what this event is for me. I hope it doesn't become something else.
  40. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (220) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

I hate to be the bearer of good news, but every year GA gets a lot more beer from a lot more breweries. Meeting the "out of state" requirement is going to get harder every year, although as of right now there is still quite a bit we can't get here. Don't get me wrong, I love trying all these beers, and enjoy the BA crowd even more, but someone can show up with a bottle of 2010 rochefort 10 that will be just as good as 90% of all the out of state beers. OTOH if everyone showed up with beer you can get down the street, it wouldn't be the same. I can definitely see both sides of the coin. I guess I would hate to see HMOG become the kind of gathering that turned other BA's away because their beer wasn't worthy enough. I kind of like the buy in idea.At least the money goes into the "stupid beer laws" war chest.