1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 Hunahpu's release info directly from CCB

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by sendsilk, Feb 13, 2013.

1. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

You guys think my bottle of Dark Lord will get it done?

2. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Yes, especially with the increased bottle count

3. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Sweet!

Okay, anybody have a bottle of Dark Lord they can trade me?

zencigar, mctizzz and flipdog0 like this.
  4. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Technically, while outside of the fenced in area it WOULD be a violation of a city ordinance open container law. This law has since been decriminalized and is now only a $75 ticket instead of jail. That being said, I doubt TPD or anyone else is going to bother with several hundred (or thousand) people doing bottle shares in the line outside of CCB gates. Just make sure to put that Blabaer in a paper bag when you drink out of it.

woodchopper and luwak like this.
  5. You are absolutely NOT ALLOWED TO DRINK IN LINE.

Those of you that know Cigar City should know it's relationship with the surrounding neighborhood and animosity for the Redner family on the Tampa City Council.

Do NOT jeopardize CCB's wet licensing by refusing to wait until 9am to pop open a brew.

Once inside the fenced in area - pop whatever you'd like, but don't do it in line.

zencigar, xxcarpxx, luwak and 7 others like this.
  6. jloomis

jloomis Savant (280) Florida Jan 6, 2010

Here is my idea regarding the numerous questions regarding when "we should get there". No one should get there before Cesar V. its tradition at this point. So the the real question is "so Cesar, when are you showing up?"

donttazemebro and MikeMoriendi like this.
  7. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

Okay, wait just a second. You seem like a nice enough guy and I am looking forward to meeting you at CCB for the release. I have been to the release for the past 2 years. Many, MANY beers have been shared in line before going into the release area. I'm not saying pull down your pants and throw beer on people, be discreet, not an idiot. The TPD guys are very cool, just be an adult, this isn't a sink or swim for $10 at some dive bar.
    Two of my brothers are Tampa Police officers, please treat all of the officers there with the respect they deserve and act appropriately and there won't be any problems. Everyone use their heads and it should be a good time for all.

8. sendsilk

You're coming down for this? Awesome! Lets get together!!

9. I understand where you are coming from - but I just don't feel the risk is worth it. I'm less worried about the cops and more worried about the neighborhood.

10. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

So what's up with BA Hun? Is that a separate release? Or is it not happening this year?

11. BAstoutsNsours

I don't know what the hell you're talking about, Matt. I already have my bedazzled chalice and I just bought a new ghetto blaster, this will be a fuggin street party.
    SPRING BREAK'96 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. sendsilk

The last two releases there haven't been any problems that I am aware of. As long as everyone parks in the assigned areas, the neighborhood knows what is going on. They are fine with it for the most part. Hell, some people charge for parking in their hard and happy to have the extra income! Until I see/hear of/read about a problem or instance I stand by my post. I have lived here a long time. It's nice to have something in this town bringing people together for a fantastic event that isn't sports related.

woodchopper and kpanter like this.
  13. sendsilk

'96??? Shit, I was out of the party game a couple of years before that. Bring plenty of D batteries for that boom box. Isn't your motto 'screw them cops, man!"?

14. After the mess that the BA Hunahpu release was... I doubt it is ever released again. Maybe like Three Floyds does with a raffle.

15. BAstoutsNsours

When I get out of hand they just drive-stun me in the back of my head and put me in a cab.

16. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Out of curiosity I just calculated back to figure out how many barrels of Huna they are selling.... 14,000 bottles works out to right at 89.5 barrels, so I would think there was at least another 10-20% more than that brewed, maybe more...

17. One has to think they have a few more than 14,000 bottles if that is the minimum they need to sell bottles to every wristband. I would assume that they end up right around 15,000 bottles. Then you include kegs and stuff that goes into barrels...

18. madnismo

madnismo Savant (340) Florida Jan 30, 2011

from what ive seen only 1099 cases were sent to JJ Taylor. 14k I don't think so.

19. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

1099 x 12 = over 13,000. So, even if you're right, that's not terribly far off.

20. joshodonn

Why would they send Huna to JJ? Isn't that the whole purpose of an on-site brewery release, they cut the distributor out of the cashflow?

21. I will be getting my allotment, plus whatever else I can get my hands on...and I'm not trading any! I've learned from past trades that I just usually don't like the traded beer as much as I like my Hunahpu:)

More than willing to share of course.

steppnrazr and Bluecane like this.
  22. gunhaver

gunhaver Savant (455) Florida May 27, 2007

storing 15+ pallets of hunahpu's is impossible at CCB.

Bobbyearl likes this.
  23. joshodonn

Ahhhhh, didn't think about the whole storage issue

24. Makes sense but doesn't mean they had to send them ALL of the pallets, I'd assume they have room to keep some.

Bluecane likes this.
  25. gunhaver

gunhaver Savant (455) Florida May 27, 2007

there really isn't room for anything around here, sigh

26. Time to expand again :)

27. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (395) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

O.K. One of my retirement perks - coming down the highway in my land yacht for this awesome event. Coming straight out of northern Illinois, very close to New Glarus offerings, much less allof the Chi-town stuff. Going right by 3 Floyds, too. Willing to bring down for trades or just to be a swell guy, just pay my actual receipt total of the beer ( no carrying charge- I'm no dick), pretty much up for bringing any beer from up here, OR along the way ( BM me seperately - we can swap phone #'s and I can call you when I am at bottle shops here AND along the route - and you can tell me what to pick up for You ). I plan on stopping at Crown Liquors in Indiana, Liquor Barn in Ky, The Filling Station in Tn, Beverage World in Ga. So if you are looking for stuff from diff states ( I always am ), I'm your huckleberry - just looking to helpout some fellow BA's, and meet some new beer buds, and make my FIRST Huny-Day mo' betta. I also plan on bringing a shit-ton out of my stash to trade with others down there, maybe for extra Huna or whatever, some things I will break free of my stash : Dark Lord '11, '12, Darkness '11,'12, BB plead the 5th, BlackNote 4 packs, bunch o' Goose BCBS '12, and some Coffee '12, Cherry '12, couple o' Rare, Big John ( original release ), a Bramble, MAYBE Vanilla and Coffee'11, Zombie Dust, and anything YOU want me to pick up. Thanks for looking and Cheers to all !

flag8r, HighWine, xxcarpxx and 11 others like this.
  28. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Dibs on any Rare and Vanilla you bring! :D

29. deezy23

deezy23 Aficionado (175) Georgia Nov 15, 2009

Had a blast last year; see you all there

30. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

I'll make sure to bring a few 4LOKO's on ice for you :)

31. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 17, 2012

I've got a few cellared 4loko's i'm planning on bringing and drinking in line.....

lets get weird...

flag8r and BAstoutsNsours like this.
  32. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I will be heading down from Michigan for this with a couple of buddies....this is our first time at Huna Day or CCB for that matter. My buddy bought a house in St. Pete and we are flying down and staying from Wednesday night until Tuesday. Hunahpu Day....Tampa Beer Week....Tigers game in Lakeland.....can not wait!!!

Any tips on the best ways to smuggle bottles on the flight so I can share some Michigan goodies with everyone?

donttazemebro likes this.
  33. Ship them to your buddy's house....

raymo55 and MarcatGSB like this.
  34. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'll be shipping a box down next week for the tasting at Pegs, how many bottles you planning on sending Shawn?
    Make sure to hit Cajun on the Bayou (closed Monday I believe), Willards Tap House, and head up to Dunedin and hit Seventh Sun.

Bobbyearl and raymo55 like this.
  35. Or just put them in a checked bag. I've done this multiple times, never had a problem. Just wrap the bottles in a t-shirt. The only word of caution I have is that you'll need to make sure you're not over the weight limit of the airline you're on. The bottles make the suitcase heavy, fast.

Bluecane likes this.
  36. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Working on shipping them to a locals house right now....thanks for the info fellas!

37. joshodonn

Or just check a box.... I check full cases of beer all the time on Southwest, it's free and I don't have to wait for my beer to be delivered after I get home.

BeerZack likes this.
  38. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Wrist bands are an awesome idea, that means I can appease the girlfriend by taking her out for breakfast or lunch after we get our wristbands so she's not too cranky being on her feet for 12+ hours.

kirbmeist likes this.
  39. toofdoc

toofdoc Aficionado (240) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

Ah, keeping the significant other happy during a 12+ hour beer event, its an art-form that i have yet to master...

wchris21 and BeerZack like this.