1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 La Folie and Kriek

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by lonestar4lunch, Feb 11, 2013.

1. lonestar4lunch

lonestar4lunch Savant (295) Texas Jan 29, 2006

Any word on these in Austin yet? I had heard the first of this week but when I check with the usuall spots they have no idea.

2. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

I'm looking for them in Houston as well, any ideas?

3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Showing that it's on tap at a couple places here in Austin area but nothing for sale...gotta be pretty close

4. darocny

darocny Aficionado (110) Texas Oct 14, 2012

does this mean la folie is gonna fly away in a day and not stay on the shelves for awhile? oh man....

5. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (245) Texas Apr 12, 2012

I expect La Folie to be much more in demand this year due to increased interest in sours.

My sources say end of the month, at least for Austin.

6. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

It's this kind of speculation that makes people go out and buy in hoards like never before. This beer sits on shelves every single year because New Belgium makes a ton of it. I suspect it'll be around a good while in bombers.

7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Kriek sucks and La Folie has been mediocre for the last 2 years, IMHO.

They need to bottle Love.

8. jumpjet2k

jumpjet2k Aficionado (180) Texas Feb 18, 2009

Can't you still find last year's La Folie on the shelves? I think I've seen it recently.

9. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Please tell me where, because I'll buy it. Havent seen it anywhere in Austin

10. jumpjet2k

jumpjet2k Aficionado (180) Texas Feb 18, 2009

I'm not sure of any specific places... Just have a feeling that I've seen it around here not too long ago. I'll keep an eye out. But I'm in Houston.

11. I had La Folie on tap 3 weeks ago in San Francisco. It was AMAZING.

12. Lutter

La Folie stuck around for a looooong time last year at Central Market N Lamar, but I think it disappeared around the time of their 20% off sale. I know I saw it at Sunrise ~3-4 months ago, but don't recall seeing it lately.

13. bccocx

bccocx Champion (775) Texas Jan 13, 2007

A little birdie told me that Friek and Folie are headed to Austin (maybe even as early as today)

14. this just in at E1G --

15. [​IMG]

16. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

What are those two on the left?

17. bccocx

bccocx Champion (775) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Cascara Quad and Heavenly Feijoa Tripel

18. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (245) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Anyone had the Rampant Imperial IPA yet? That one interests me.

19. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Has anyone in Houston seen La Folie, Kriek, or any other recent Lips of Faith bottles it stores?

Hay Merchant has La Folie on tap right now but I would love to find a bottle.

20. mattchow

I'm still waiting as well..

21. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Spec's Midtown got these in this morning.

[​IMG]

22. kmello69

Don't buy the Kriek. Just saying. But the La Folie is excellent once again

23. I recently had my first La Folie which happened to be my first sour. Is it a typical sour? If I didnt really enjoy La Folie do you think I should even try Jester Kings Etc. Is fair to say I probably wont be into sours that much. Thanks for the info.

24. mattchow

got them at specs as well.

25. I was at Specs Clear Lake about 4 weeks ago talking with one of the employees about sours. He asked me if I had ever tried La Folie? I told him I only recently started drinking sours and had never heard of it. He walked into the cold storage freezer and came back out with a bottle. So I have one to try but I think I am going to let it age a little and wait to crack it until I have a bottle share party at my place.

Makes me wonder what else is in that freezer that is not on the main shelves?

26. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

No need to age La Folie. It is pasteurized, so basically it is what it is. One of the first sours I had a couple years ago. Great one to start with.

27. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

Passed these up at Specs Midtown today cause I already had a $100+ cart.... The talk around La Folie is making me wish I had grabbed some.

28. Would it lessen the carbonation? The Specs beer guy said the 2011's were less carbonated after 6 months which in his opinion made them better.

29. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

That sounds like a beer myth to me.

The beer does continue to "age" as it's a food based product, but the pasteurization kills any live bugs so it doesn't really continue to age in the traditional sense where bugs will make it more funky and sour over time.

30. MattCinatl

MattCinatl Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 30, 2009

With modern bottling technology, you're not going perceive any change in carbonation in 6 months. Also, if less carbonation makes it better, why couldn't you just open the bottle and leave it on the counter for an hour before pouring a glass?

31. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (380) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I'll second that. No bueno for me either

32. Ok thanks.. I was not sure if he was full of it or knew what he was talking about. Guess I learned something today!

33. mattchow

He gave you a 2013 La Folie 4 weeks ago?

34. Lutter

We certainly had it 4 weeks ago in Austin... could've been a 2012 bottle though.

This year's La Folie is damn delicious, btw. They might use weird, nontraditional methods in making it (it's blended with a lager, right?) but damn is it sour.

FWIW: Transatlantic Kriek was the worst NB beer I'd ever had when I had it on tap a while back though. Blech.

35. mattchow

yes, but Clear Lake is to the South of Houston. Today was the first I've heard of any Houston area Specs getting 2013 La Folie or any new Lips of Faith releases.

36. yes it was on a wed 4 weeks ago and its a 2013. I am surprised as well that this specs had it as they never get anything special or if they do its like one case.

they also had the kriek on the shelves too cause he showed me that one as well.

37. Lutter

People in Houston need to go to this magical Spec's that gets beer releases on time.

38. actually this store is the opposite. i had to ask them to transfer a few bottles of el cedro from dowtown and it took them three weeks to get it. the La Folie and Kriek are the only ones ive ever seen them get and have before downtown. who knows maybe downtown has had these for awhile but saved them to release this weekend.

39. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I need to check the bottle date, but I bought a bottle of La Folie from the Spec's on FM528 about two weeks ago.

40. kmello69

If its a 2013, it should be pretty obvious....

[​IMG]